Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Use the Ports, Luke

Bob Larkin of the Doom Wad Station has let me know via IRC that he has received a new revamped version of the Star Wars Doom TC from an anonymous author. This cleans up the resources, merging them all into two WAD files compatible with source ports, and it includes GL nodes. After talking with Bob on IRC for a little bit, there seems to be 4 DEH files included in the package, two for version 1.666 and two for 1.9. Apparently, one of the pairs must be loaded for the TC to work properly, but since no one uses Doom v1.666, just load the two DEH files with _9 on the end of their names. Also, be sure to load both the WAD files when playing as well. Oh yeah, here's the link to grab it.

Weren't the Star Wars TCs pretty crappy? I do think someone recently did make a more or less decent Star Wars mod, though.

I liked the original Star Wars Tc - considering it was made in 1994 it looked pretty damn good. This one is a compilation of a bunch of Star Wars mods I guess and it looks very good from what I can see.

Believe it or not, but I have the enemy.wad and doom1-2.wad from it. However, I have nothing else that came with it. Dunno why.

I believe the author (the gentleman who put this together) explained that it was a compilation of several star wars tc's as well as some new levels. I liked it.
I haven't even played it all but what I've seen is pretty impressive.

At one point in time Rex Clausen did a Stars Wars themed wad that beats the crap out of these über bad Star Wars TCs.

Bloodshedder said:

The Darkest Hour is its name.

Indeed it is - and there is a prequel in the works that is even better from the (pretty extensive) samples I have seen of it. They are indeed "Impressive, most impressive".

Does that qualify as a second nag about getting the final level done ReX? If so, 2 nags in as many days. Indeed I am powerful as the Emperor has forseen.

|-O-| <-O-> |-O-|
I'm on the leader

MTFBWY

I found the TC I was talking about. :)

Maybe I should think of recompileing THIS version. :P

I remember the original mods.. the "gore" deh file made it so that every enemy "gibs" when killed, no matter what weapon you use (pretty lame really).

However, in this recompilation, it seems like regardless of what deh file you use, everybody gibs, no matter what. It's silly!

I wanted to see the Stormies fall over most of the time, with only the fantastic explosions making them turn into guts.. anybody else?

The "payoff" gets boring if we see it every single time, not to mention its wholly unlike what we saw in the movies.

And why are there Gammorean guards and Biker scouts on the Death Star? Okay, I'm getting carried away here.. it's just a Doom TC, but what is up with the gibbing??

Well, I tested my theory and played WITHOUT the included DEH files... its MUCH BETTER.

Now the enemies have their own death animations instead of instantly turning into the generic Doom gibs, AND they actually drop weapons/ammo (meaning the difficulty drops about 200% which is just fine by me). It's actually fun!

And that Lightsaber mod posted works GREAT.. looks much better than the "jack off saber" hehe.

The game mechanics are still pretty much "Doom" with Star Wars graphics, but that's okay. I don't think the other DEH files did much other than add gore.

Well.. off to kick some Imperial butt.

When you think about it that way, technically that covers 99% of Doom/2 TC's and even games like Heretic/Hexan (sure, they had some nice features like aiming before source ports, and items inventory, but the weapons and monsters are very very similar to those in Doom 2).

Hell, if that's what you're after, your best bet is to go with TC's built specifically for Edge, but even there, well... Doom is a limited engine, and the game mechanics don't change too much, it's a basic FPS after all and its tough enough for FPS companies to come up with something new, much less the mod community. ; )

I've been playing Darkest Hour a lot lately using ZdoomGL and I think its great. It FEELS like I'm playing some expansion pack to the original Dark Forces. I know they ripped off just about all the textures from that or Doom, but it is *FUN* challenging and has atmosphere. However, I will say that I got SERIOUS fps lag in some areas, like that part on level 4(?) where you fight the AT-ST, I am not sure if he made that level badly, or if ZdoomGL is to blame.

Anyway, a nice job. I guess its more interesting mainly because the SW TC is a conglomeration of old old mods (though I can't fault the guy who put them together, its a slick package, once you add the better lightsaber and Han Solo's DL 44 heavy blaster.. also from that weapons page, heh)based on the movies, rather than something original set in the same universe.

But, I might say for example, the Boba Fett type character you meet feels pretty unique. His weapon is like a chaingun and he has tons of health (like a Spider mastermind), but he moves SUPER FAST and he can fly (as well as walk) and hover around like a cacodemon (but much faster and he chases you around corners!).

A very powerful adversary I must say, much more challenging than even the one you faced in Dark Forces!

Ct_red_pants said:

I wasn't Crazy about that mod. I tend to frown on mods that have new sprites that sill act (almost) identical to the orignal doom weapons/monsters.

Then you certainly won't want to play the 5-level prequel that should be released any day now ;)

Kurgan said:

I've been playing Darkest Hour a lot lately using ZdoomGL and I think its great.

Well, thank you.

However, I will say that I got SERIOUS fps lag in some areas, like that part on level 4(?) where you fight the AT-ST, I am not sure if he made that level badly, or if ZdoomGL is to blame.

The node-building in the maps has not been optimized for GL mode. That might account for some of the lag. The map plays fine on regular ZDooM. (Btw, the secret level may be accessed through that map. Or else, simply use the idclev cheat code.)