Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ani

How I became a Doom fan

Maybe you haven't "seen" it yet, but Doom has much in common in its Design with Plattformers as Mario that other First Person Shooters do not.

- Straight forward Action

- Puzzling Levels

- Secrets to discover

"Oh, there is a Plattform, how can i reach it" , could be a Sentence used in Mario World or Doom ;)

I remember having a bit of interest in the franchise when I started to pick up my phone and download the Freedoom app when I was much more younger (probably around 2020). AVGN (James Rolfe) introduced me a bit the franchise, and the free CD game Chex Quest which I also played back in 2020, but I later forgot about its existence and went to look up other things. By the end of 2021, I tried to reach out more when I got to the modding scene, starting with a silly sound project (later cancelled because it's pretty useless now), and tried out a different one, which was also canned, and it was going to be based off the Adult Swim "short", Pibby.

I became a bigger fan when I discovered the other console releases and went on to actually get through Doom 64 (which when back then I got stuck in MAP02 and couldn't figure out what to do, plus I was playing on a emulator), and the PlayStation port made me feel extremely impressed for its execution of the game's atmosphere and tone. Thus, I actually became a known person in the community (better known for the Everdoom TC, which was inspired by the PSX port and Doom 64 and the high quality sound project involving tracking sources of those versions' sound effects). Doom notably made me get into the first person shooter genre more than Halo did, and introduced me Quake as a franchise and other things that Doom introduced (such as deathmatch, programming, modding, source ports, etc).

About the games, I do own the classic games, which also includes the Unity ports (though I don't play them, as I have source ports in hand), and the Doom 64 2020 re-release. I'm not really a fan of the two new games (2016 and Eternal), which in my opinion, feels like another one of those modern shooters you see nowadays, despite the reception. Doom 3? Well, that's something I should try out myself, I don't think it's bad as some people say.

2 hours ago, Azuris said:

Maybe you haven't "seen" it yet, but Doom has much in common in its Design with Plattformers as Mario that other First Person Shooters do not.

- Straight forward Action

- Puzzling Levels

- Secrets to discover

"Oh, there is a Plattform, how can i reach it" , could be a Sentence used in Mario World or Doom ;)

Remember I was a kid when I had this mindset. This isn't me anymore

2 hours ago, Nathan Silver said:

Doom 3? Well, that's something I should try out myself, I don't think it's bad as some people say.

Just gotta warn you, you may not like the shotgun-

3 hours ago, Nathan Silver said:

Doom 3? Well, that's something I should try out myself, I don't think it's bad as some people say.

It really isn't. It's a solid shooter, although it does play quite different from the classic Doom games.