Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyrez

Please help a moron :/

I am a diehard WA user but i have been trying to use deepSea for hi-res textures and so on. I have read all the help files but i still can't figure out how to do hi-res flats or hi-res weapon sprites :/

anyone help me out on how to do this?

Did you get the e-mail I sent you? I typed up a couple of pages and sent it as a compiled help file. That was about 2 days ago, shortly after you asked on the Zdoom forum (it was you, right?). If you didn't get it, let me know and I can re send. I've had a lot of non responses and people telling me e-mail hasn't got through recently. Dunno what it is, I've changed nothing about my system.

Of course, if you did get it, then I guess I can assume my information sucked because you're still stuck. :-/

Enjay said:

Of course, if you did get it, then I guess I can assume my information sucked because you're still stuck. :-/

lol, comming from you it would hardly suck :)
i did not recieve it please send again if you have time.
thanks

OK, re sent.

I wonder how many other messages I have sent out to people recently simply haven't got through. There was nothing at my end telling me the e-mail had failed.

Oh well, hope you get the re-send anyway.

Edit:

Hmmm, just a thought, I'm sending to cyrez@prodigy.net which is the addy in my address book, and the one listed here at DW, but I notice there is a different one on your site.

ok got it this time :) as for the 2 e-mail addys there both valid.

2 things.

1 great tutorial for textures but there is not much on weapon sprites or flats besides how to import them.

2 i no how to do textures it's the flats and sprites i'm having serious problems with.

for example i have a flat thats 512 X 512 so scalled down it will match the textures. now when i import it as a flat it's 64 X 64 and not hi-res :/

1 great tutorial for textures but there is not much on weapon sprites or flats besides how to import them.

What do you want to know about them? I'm not sure there is too much more to know about sprites in DeePsea besides importing and offsetting them. The usual rules of making sure sprites and flats are between start and end markers applies, but I'm sure I made a mention of that in the file I sent.

Anyway, to possibly try and head at least some of that question off at the pass, HUD weapons cannot be Hi-Rezzed. They are whatever size they are. Setting the alignment for them is done in F7 Sprite and IMGz name edit. As I said in the file, importing with "weapons" selected will try and give you reasonable offsets, but because of the huge variation in weapon placement (on the screen) there's a good chance you'll have to adjust them.

If the sprites question is to do with making them hi-res, you import them at whatever size you have, and use a dehacked patch to scale them. So, if you imported a bunch of 128 tall trooper replacement sprites, and then had a patch with this in it,

Thing 2 (Trooper)
Scale = 0.5

Those 128 tall sprites would be scaled down to act as 64 tall hi res sprites. Because the scaling is done via dehacked, there is no way to scale replacement sprites for Heretic/Hexen monsters.

for example i have a flat thats 512 X 512 so scalled down it will match the textures. now when i import it as a flat it's 64 X 64 and not hi-res :/

OK, well first off, it's worth knowing that Zdoom doesn't support flats bigger than 256x256. ZdoomGL does, but not Zdoom. DeePSea can import bigger than 256x256 but... actually I don't know what Zdoom will do with them. :-)

Are you sure the flat isn't just looking like it is 64x64? When Zdoom loads a file with a 128x128 or 256x256 sized flat it autoscales it to a hi res 64x64 flat. If you want it to be bigger than that in game, you need to used a lindef or script to scale it up again.

If it's not that, and DeePsea is actually converting it to a 64x64 flat, check that you have the latest version of DeePsea, and check that your flats are perfectly square at either 128x128 or 256x256. Older versions of DeePSea would resize flats to 64x64 if they weren't already that size the newest version (11.74) will import a flat at the size it is, as long as it is square. I just tried with a 128x128, 256x256 and a 512x512 all imported fine. I tried in the ZdoomHexen project, and the Doom1 project, both worked.

I tried the 256x256 in Zdoom and it worked just fine, although was scaled to 64x64. That is of course how it should be. This feature was implemented to allow Hi-res flats, rather than big flats, but with floor/ceiling scaling via scripts big flats are possible as a spin off.

Heh, I just tried my 512x512 in Zdoom too. Now I know that Zdoom seems to be trying to scale it to 64x64 but the thing just looks messed up.

Cyrez said:

First of all make sure you have the current version of DeePsea 11.74 The one at DW is now 11.65.

Then make sure you did not change the size defaults to 64x64. It's the "Auto Options" button in F7 - Import tool. Make sure X and Y are 8192 x 2048 otherwise it resizes to whatever value is here. Older versions always resized to 64x64 - so I think you have an old version.

Sprites are the same as texture patches in terms of importing. You can only do 1 type at a time as indicated by the radio button in the import tool. So first do "sprites", then clear the data, check "flats" and now do flats.

For both sprites and flats you need to insert the correct markers. The F7-Import tool can do that or the F7-PWAD Lump fixing tool.

thanks Enjay & deep.

i was useing 11.6 :/
and as for weapon sprites it apears zdoom does not suport scaling them as yet :/

thanks very much for the help :)

Cyrez said:

and as for weapon sprites it apears zdoom does not suport scaling them as yet :

Enjay posted while I got distracted - so I did not see what he posted:) Look at Enjay's post - the stuff about dehacked patch - you'll see that you have to manually scale each "thing": This is all for the current "2.42 beta", not the older versions of ZDOOM.

Thing 2 (Trooper)
Scale = 0.5

Enjay is much better at explaining DEH details:)

And yes, ZDOOM visually fries a FLAT that is larger than 256x256 - we'll have to pester Randy to go up to 2048x2048:) There's another thread about scaling the FLAT back to actual size (or larger) using a line special if you are interested in having the FLAT be BIG. You may also have to adjust the x/y offsets to get it aligned correctly.

The 2 specials are Sector Set Floor Scale and Sector Set Floor Pan