Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mad Dal 85

Music for mods

What music is allowed to be used in Doom mods? 

I found a great piece of music for the final boss in my Doom mod but not sure if it can be used. Hence why I am asking. 

Don't use copyrighted music in MP3 or OGG format like this:

But music from copyright it's much better to use! First track coming used as example:

If it's a midi version of a copyrighted music you don't almost have any problem with that.

You can use tracker tunes as well, but they don't work for all source ports. Zdoom compatible ports nowadays can play as well music taken from old consoles like NSF and VGM format

3 hours ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

what if i converted an MP3 into MIDI format? is that acceptable? 

It's not that easy. Unless your song is a piano piece you won't have a very good time converting it over.

It couldn't hurt looking for songs in MIDI format, you might be surprised what songs have been made into MIDIs already. Usually, older songs have a better chance at being transcribed over to MIDI, just credit the correct people and you should be good to go.

6 minutes ago, DiR said:

It's not that easy. Unless your song is a piano piece you won't have a very good time converting it over.

It couldn't hurt looking for songs in MIDI format, you might be surprised what songs have been made into MIDIs already. Usually, older songs have a better chance at being transcribed over to MIDI, just credit the correct people and you should be good to go.

the music i got is instrumental, no vocals. 

Just now, Mad Dal 85 said:

the music i got is instrumental, no vocals. 

You could try it out if you wanted to, see how much mileage you get. Converting MP3 to MIDI is really hit or miss when you introduce non-piano instruments.

On 2/4/2023 at 3:59 PM, DiR said:

You could try it out if you wanted to, see how much mileage you get. Converting MP3 to MIDI is really hit or miss when you introduce non-piano instruments.

i tried to convert it and it didn't sound to nice in MIDI. Are MP3 formats allowed to be used in Doom mods or it is just MIDI, OGG and FLAC formats only? 

8 minutes ago, Mad Dal 85 said:

i tried to convert it and it didn't sound to nice in MIDI. Are MP3 formats allowed to be used in Doom mods or it is just MIDI, OGG and FLAC formats only? 

It's allowed as long as you have all the rights to it or asked the author for permission. Just remember to specify that it needs a port than can play these types of files.