Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geniraul

Doom & Quake: more than just video games

TL;DR: Doom & Quake: more than just video games is the video series which sets the goal to unite and expand Doom & Quake communities.

This is episode #1: Characters and connections: youtu.be/qOuANm1W78A

Full version:

Ladies and gentlemen, after more than 17 years since I first came up with this idea, I’m very happy to finally present you the video series Doom & Quake: more than just video games. This description is quite long, so get yourself a cup of tea 🫖 or any other drink of your choice, and let’s begin the adventure!

It’s not a secret to anyone that Doom & Quake series games have a lot of wonderful things in common: spiritually, in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, genre, techniques, tactics, tricks and traps, id Tech series engine, the revolutionary roles they played in the history of 3D shooters, cybersport and multiplayer, and the list goes on and on. And of course, we shouldn’t forget to mention the fact that people have been and still are enjoying these games for so long. All of these, as well as many others, are the reasons for which Doom & Quake: more than just video games sets the goal to increase the comprehension between Doom and Quake communities, connect them between each other more and unite them!

Moreover, the series have the objective of popularizing Doom & Quake games, and preferably, filling the gap between older and newer generations in our communities and contributing to the further development of doomers’ and quakers’ culture by showing why Doom & Quake are way more than just video games.

Sure, my series need some further improvement, such as more qualified video image, less grammar mistakes (English is not my native language) and general enhancement as well. But that’s exactly what I tend to do! ;) And therefore, just like I mentioned on the opening of my channel, I believe that together we’ll be able to build not just a worthwhile house, but a whole legendary infrastructure! 💪 :D I hope these video series will bring something really amazing and truly unique to this world! And oh yeah, just like all the other videos of these series, this one is full of spoilers, so make sure you are ready for that before you begin to watch :)

Today we’re starting the season 1: Teleport. Why “Teleport”? Well, we’ll be switching between different amusing and at some point educational topics in each episode, as well as visiting various cool places, which is the reason why you can see the nature on the background. There’s nothing that feels more natural than the nature itself ;)

Let’s get introduced to the series with the episode 1 which is dedicated to the characters and connections between them in Doom and Quake games. Here are the timecodes for each section in this video:

Spoiler

00:00 Intro

00:15 General words

00:40 Doomguy

01:08 Doomers' community: Doomworld & Slayers Club

01:59 Doomguy as a character in Quake Champions and Quake 3 Arena

03:31 Hunter reference in Doom 3

04:05 Weird sound

04:26 Doom and Quake abbreviations

05:29 Unique Doom Eternal references

05:44 Specific for Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil monsters

06:09 Main characters of the Quake series + Quake games’ connections

07:23 Quake Champions references' in-game items

08:02 Jan Paul van Waveren aka Mr Elusive

09:00 id Software team

09:33 Quake 3 Arena characters (bots)

21:23 Quake 3 custom maps database

22:13 Quake 3 Team Arena characters

22:43 Quake Champions main characters

27:14 Other Easter eggs

28:46 Some of the Doom 3 characters

28:59 Marauder and Khan Maykr

29:15 Arachnids in Doom and Quake

30:18 Outro

30:47 Traditional question

This time I’m adding the correction of all the mistakes that I’ve found in this video, but I think I will only be mentioning the correction of the factual mistakes in future, as the complete one takes quite a lot of space.

️ Please, point your attention on the corrections below on the timecodes 10:38, 13:22, 15:34, 22:19 and 24:59 – these are the corrections of the factual mistakes, and you might want to see it, in order to not be misinformed.

Correction:

Spoiler

00:32 *and the monitor in front of you

00:40 *you’re playing as Doom. As Doomguy! | As for the phrase about the army of demons, I admit that I partially stole it from someone from comments on YouTube 😅

02:53 *and it’s up to you which game type you choose

04:20 *”Do you hear it with your HEADPHONES on”, of course. I think it’s either I somehow managed to make a double voice (which I definitely didn’t plan to) or the beginning of one of the older audio clips, which I erased later, stayed, and got synchronized with the new audio clip. Anyway, I think there’s nothing paranormal, so I guess you can forget about that ;) I’d be way gladder to see your reply to this episode’s traditional question about your top 3 from all the major Doom & Quake games 😃

05:40 *which is the 5th main chapter of the Doom series

05:43 *if you look into D3ROE

06:32 *we have Ranger as the main character of the game

06:40 *I think it is really genius

07:00 *This was the original Quake

08:52 *The possibility

10:24 *Slash is my favorite character BY far 😂

10:34 *Yeah-yeah, the lost soul

10:38 ️ Angel doesn’t say “biosynthetic humanoid”, but “synthetic humanoid”

http://www.rigelatin.net/q3a/quotes/angel.php#random_misc

Spoiler

12:39 It’s probably not the official story line, because just like I said, “Arenas” is fan-based series, especially considering that according to QC, Visor was constructed in USSR whilst in “Arenas” Visor says he’s a strogg

13:06 *And then in Q3 he’s usually one of the default bots to fight with and against in TDM

13:22 ️ The part about how Hunter says that all the men should be destroyed is NOT TRUE! She just says: "Females will learn their place. Men will not be pleased."

http://www.rigelatin.net/q3a/quotes/hunter.php#random_misc

15:08 *but on higher difficulties

15:34 ️ Patriot NEVER blames it on George Washington when he gets fragged! All he does is that he sometimes says: “General Washington gave me this scarf." I always misread it as “scar” for some reason.

http://www.rigelatin.net/q3a/quotes/patriot.php#random_misc

17:01 *Well, I’ll explain you why I think so

18:17 *And well, sometimes Haruspex would stop her.

18:43 *I honestly have no idea why his eyes are blue.

18:55 *I know his skin is based off of Grunt’s model

21:17 *if you know how to do so

22:00 *nothing of that would be possible without the enormous amount of map makers’ work

22:19 ️ Quake 3 Team Arena was first released on the December, 18, 2000 in North America, and then on January, 15, 2001 in Japan and on January, 26, 2001 in Europe.

24:59 ️ Ranger DOES receive some damage from rocket jumps in Quake Champions. However, his passive ability called “Son of a Gun” “reduces the amount of self-damage he takes by 75%” (quote from Quake Champions Fandom).

25:36 *that remain from enemies

25:58 *Scalebearer can go very fast at someone like a torpedo plus make some damage to the enemies he bumps into

30:18 *all these characters and all the connections between them are ones of those numerous factors

And here are the timecodes specifically for the Quake 3 characters:

Spoiler

10:20 Anarki

10:38 Angel

10:53 Biker

11:06 Bitterman

11:21 Bones

11:46 Cadavre

11:56 Crash

12:10 Daemia

12:23 Doom

12:39 Gorre

13:02 Grunt

13:15 Hossman

13:22 Hunter

13:44 Keel

14:08 Klesk

14:19 Lucy

14:27 Major

14:52 Mynx

15:15 Orbb

15:34 Patriot

15:51 Phobos

16:03 Ranger

16:22 Razor

16:42 Sarge

17:35 Slash

18:12 Sorlag

18:36 Stripe

19:02 Tank Jr.

19:47 Uriel

20:01 Visor

20:37 Wrack

20:49 Xaero

Additional informational quotes about some of the Q3 characters from the Quake III manual:

Spoiler

-          “Anarki (Cybronic Human): Always seeking an edge, this cyber-board surfer paid with his humility for a seemingly endless array of cybronic implants.”

-          “Angel (Humanoid Robot): Although certainly not a classical beauty, Angel was created by a sculptor to be his ideal companion. She quickly proved herself to be a creature of hate, not love–killing her maker in a berserk fury.”

-          “Cadavre (Undead Human): Cadavre is a brutal murderer who couldn’t be executed. The electric chair, gallows, and gas chamber only made him meaner.”

-          “Crash (Human): Once she was Doom’s military instructor. Now the Arena Eternal tests Crashes mettle to the extreme–extreme patience, that is. She is the trainer who introduces new warriors to the skills of battle.”

-          “Gorre (Cybronic Human): Born in the breeder tank of the genetics lab and nurtured in a cybronics workshop, Gorre was created to be the ultimate warrior… at least in his own mind.”

-          “Grunt (Human): A mentally shattered veteran of the invasion of Stroggos, Private Nathan Grunt is still fighting a war that ended years ago.”

-          “Hunter (Human): When her village on Tau Ceti was decimated by the Sorg, Hunter vowed to seek out and destroy the reptiloids wherever they might hide.”

-          “Major (Human): A veteran of the Stroggos, Major Wayland is haunted by the memories of her fallen troops and the parasites that killed them. It may be that she believes she’s still fighting that long-concluded war.”

-          “Slash (Cybronic Human): A young force-blade punk from the streets of Los-Angeles, Slash became a test-bed for the hottest cybronic implants, turning her into a barely-contained battle of energy.”

-          “Stripe (Human): Raised on the mean streets of the post-apocalyptic city, Stripe avoided crime and drugs by being tougher than the gangs and pushers.”

-          “Wrack (Human): Wrack is a shell-shocked Slipgate War veteran who relieves countless battles through a haze of imagined glories, half-remembered facts, and exaggerated personal abilities.”

It makes me think of couple of more things:

Spoiler

- Both Angel (Q3) and Clutch (QC) turned against their creators – Angel killed her creator who was a sculptor, and Clutch deprived Eisen (QC) – an engineer – of his wife Akiko.

- The info about Hunter in the Q3 manual and Sorlag’s biography in QC totally explains why Hunter and Sorlag are fighting each other, and why Hunter has a sorg’s head on her head (she wears it as a trophy).

- As they are both veterans of the Stroggos war, Major may or may not have the same mental problem that Grunt does.

- As Wrack is a Slpigate War veteran, has same problems and is going through the same things that Ranger does, they might have seen each other.  They even look very similar, and Wrack’s skin is technically based off of Ranger’s model. In my opinion, Wrack’s description in Quake 3’s manual could be perfect to describe Ranger as well.

- Stripe was cooler and stronger than anyone he met on the streets 😂

P. S. At the time of the recording of this video I didn't know about the existence of Sandy Petersen's YouTube channel, yet (@SandyofCthulhu ). Later I found some really important to mention stories about the disagreements and disputes in the original id Software team. It is really sad all that stuff happened that time, especially the "X" story. So, basing on the aforesaid, I would like to underline that the purpose of this particular video ("Characters and connections") is not to pick sides or to be hypocritical towards anyone / blame anyone, but to introduce the viewer to Doom and Quake series' characters as well as developers and to give my sincere gratitude to the latter for all the amazing work that has been done over the years.

P. P. S. I apologize for the dark screen instead of one of the photos during the slide show, apparently the video has been exported with some bug in that.

From the oldest to the newest games — let's take a trip to the dreamlike and unlimited world of Doom and Quake!

Edited by Geniraul

The subtitles to the episode 1 have been updated by applying the correction to them.

The 1st episode of this series became my first video that got 1 000 views. Thanks to everyone who made this possible!