Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sean-dude

Recommended Hexen megawads

Shadows of Cronos by Kaiser is my favourite, also check out the Cyrgoth series. There's a mod called Hexen Rebalanced that makes minor tweaks to the gameplay which can make it feel a touch less grindy too, if that sounds appealing.

I don't think anyone ever actually made a Hexen megawad in the traditional sense, at least not one that isn't laden with gameplay-changing mods. This should change.

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I don't think anyone ever actually made a Hexen megawad in the traditional sense, at least not one that isn't laden with gameplay-changing mods. This should change.

There is the Cyrgoth Trilogy, which is completely vanilla in terms of gameplay (although not really vanilla compatible).

Thanks for leading me to those, although technically its still not a megawad ;D Gotta have 15+ maps (or generally half the original game's worth of content) in one go for that. This guy should have fused these three together to lay claim to the first proper Hexen megawad since Deathkings.

Also...now im playing Hexen again and cackling like Corvus when he finds a new weapon whenever I lead Ettins into the instadeath spikes or drop a Flechette on a Centaur -.-

Every Hexen level should only feature centaurs next to instadeath pits and a hefty supply of discs of repulsion. It is the only way to make fighting centaurs fun.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Every Hexen level should only feature centaurs next to instadeath pits and a hefty supply of discs of repulsion. It is the only way to make fighting centaurs fun.

What about Hexen slaughterwads?

>:D

My favourite Hexen wad by a very, very long shot is Carnage Galore 3, download link is on the ZDoom forums. It's a WIP, but there are 3 hubs all done, and the 3rd one is significantly larger and longer than anything in the iwad. It's not vanilla-compatible, but I found the gameplay to be something like "vanilla+", similar base with some additions, but the core gameplay is not significantly different.

Scourge of Viscerus is just one hub, but it's very well done and I found it enjoyable.

The closest to a "full replacement" that is as long (or longer...) than the base game is Serpent: Resurrection, but it's also quite different in gameplay style: it's (almost) all one single "hub" (you can and will backtrack all the way), there's an RPG system with XP and stats and so on, shops that sell items and to whom you can sell your excess items... it has some of the core Hexen gameplay but I thought it ends up playing quite differently. It's a very interesting wad to check out (though beware, there's a not insignificant amount of platforming).

Tower of Chaos is the one that plays the most like classic Hexen I think. While playing it I felt the maps are not even in quality but it's good overall, especially if you don't want extra weapons or a different system. It has a prequel and a sequel, and I also liked both, but they do play a little more differently from classic Hexen, and they're more story-heavy.

And there's Kristus's unfinished magnum opus Curse of the Demon Lord, despite only 3 completed maps they are long and quite difficult.

Thanks for mentioning Lost Luxury, I hadn't heard of it and am always glad to have more good Hexen wads to play.