Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SimplePixelz

Is there a forum for ZDoom speedrunning?

I like using ZDoom, and I use it to practice speedruns. If there is a forum for running on ZDoom specifically?

If there isn't, I've already got a ruleset to implement if someone wants to make one:

-No jumping
-No freelook 
-No crouching
-Crosshair allowed
-Max fov 120, Min fov Default
-No wall clipping

I would like to know if there is one, but if there isn't, feel free to use the ruleset I made, add to it, remove things, I'm fine with that. Thank you in advance.

Generally ZDoom speedrunning is restricted to maps that actually require ZDoom to be playable, because if you can run through the map in DSDA-Doom instead, then you should do so, that's where the speedrunning scene is.

And when it comes to ZDoom-specific maps, then your ruleset may end up being too restrictive, since many of these maps do require you to jump, crouch, swim, aim up or down to shoot switches, etc. This of course is a case-by-case thing.

There's also the issue that ZDoom demos are very very very version-specific, almost always breaking on any newer versions of the engine, as opposed to the relative stability of v1.9-compat stuff. And the Doom speedrunning scene is traditionally very demo-centric

5 hours ago, Kinsie said:

There's also the issue that ZDoom demos are very very very version-specific, almost always breaking on any newer versions of the engine, as opposed to the relative stability of v1.9-compat stuff. And the Doom speedrunning scene is traditionally very demo-centric

I wasn't aware that ZDoom could make demos, interesting.

Even if ZDoom demos weren't version-specific, ZDoom behavior is, so even if ZDoom runs were done as videos, you would still end up asking the question of which version of ZDoom is acceptable for a given WAD, as there could be significant changes between versions that affect the run.

ZDoom runs are accepted on the archive, at least for ZDoom-required maps. But yeah, good luck coming up with a reasonable standard for ZDoom runs. :^)

3 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

ZDoom runs are accepted on the archive

Sadly they are even competable with classic runs. IMHO they should be moved to "Other" cathegory. Just two examples:  n sec owns any n.xx and zdoom physics can easily owns many of existing tysons (although this can be somethat neglected by using "strict doom" compatibility mode).

I can see existing zdoom records on classic wads like mm now.

IMHO2: May be they can be allowed to compete with "strict" compat mode, but I doubt if it can easily checkable without fucking with hexing.

Edited by Hitherto

1 hour ago, Hitherto said:

I can see existing zdoom records on classic wads like mm now.

IMHO2: May be they can be allowed to compete with "strict" compat mode, but I doubt if it can easily checkable without fucking with hexing.

All incompatible runs (including wrong complevel runs on WADs, not just ZDoom stuff) will eventually be moved to Other.

1 hour ago, 4shockblast said:

including wrong complevel runs on WADs

But what if wad declared as boom, for example, but contained some pure -cl2 maps? Is "lowering" compatibility competable?

2 minutes ago, Hitherto said:

But what if wad declared as boom, for example, but contained some pure -cl2 maps? Is "lowering" compatibility competable?

This will depend on the WAD, but it will only be fine IMO if it's a compilation WAD (like speedmap WADs, etc.) that has different cl designed maps. If something in Sunlust, for example, happened to be possible on cl2, I would not accept that as a valid time.

10secto2 for example has only 6 boom-only maps from 32 :)

1 hour ago, 4shockblast said:

If something in Sunlust, for example, happened to be possible on cl2, I would not accept that as a valid time. 

Got it. :(