Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFreaksDev

My First Map (WIP)

I've picked up Doom Builder X and with help from a few friends of mine I've been putting my first map together. It's meant to be a Hangar/Entryway style first map, so it's very short and easy, and I designed it as if someone who had never played Doom before could get through it.

It is admittedly very ugly--I'd like to pretty it up a bit and make sure it runs well in Chocolate Doom (currently have been testing it in DSDA-Doom). I had a Carribean style ocean surrounding the whole map and windows you could look through but unfortunately there were some pretty wild slime trail problems so for now I've had to remove them!

First off congrats on making your first map even though it is a wip. Secondly, as a mapper myself i would recommended Ultimate Doom Builder. It's a much better map editor in my option. 

I can't wait to play it when it comes out

2 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

First off congrats on making your first map even though it is a wip. Secondly, as a mapper myself i would recommended Ultimate Doom Builder. It's a much better map editor in my option. 

I can't wait to play it when it comes out

Thanks!! It's not the best map but it isn't frustrating and it feels alright so for my first map that's a victory! Good to know about Ultimate Doom Builder too, I can look into that

Seems to be a good start.

One big recommendation:

Try to use different brightness levels. Make the outside brighter than the hallways. Make sectors around a lamp brighter than areas that are further away from lamps. This is an easy (and common) way to make maps look more interesting.

Vary cool man!! I'm just getting back into Doom for the first time in about 15 years. I've played every(almost)every iteration of Doom in the last few weeks, but have never mapped before. just downloaded UDB for my windows machines, and have been experimenting/playing with different builders for my Linux set-ups. I'm hoping to post my first map in the next week or so.

It does not look too bad for a first map. Pay attention to light levels as Loomis said, and also how you use textures. Make sure everything is tiling correctly. The door at 0:10 for example is too tall. The texture is tiling which looks wrong for a door and is cut off which looks pretty rough. Create a buffer sector either side of the door with the ceiling set to the same height as the door texture. The crate wall at 0:20 doesn't make much sense. Crates are square, they are never going to be on an angle like that. Nor would that be walls along stairs. You get the idea. You are showing an understanding of a lot of things which first time authors often miss, like pegging door tracks, how switches work, and making sure there's good height variation. So yeah, not too bad. Keep practicing.

Thanks everyone! I’ll try everything you suggested to make it look nicer. I’m hoping I can make some nice looking windows and I think I know how to pull that off better now. Hopefully I’ll be posting the map here soon!

Welcome aboard the DooM mapper train! :D Glad to see a new mapper coming to DWF. <3

As for the slime trail bug you mentioned: You quite literally can't remove them. It's a bug of DooM's rendering. (Unless you meant Tutti-Frutti errors?)

15 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Welcome aboard the DooM mapper train! :D Glad to see a new mapper coming to DWF. <3

As for the slime trail bug you mentioned: You quite literally can't remove them. It's a bug of DooM's rendering. (Unless you meant Tutti-Frutti errors?)

Sometimes you can fix them by moving a vertex to a slightly different spot. In fact I'm pretty sure I've had one go away after moving a vertex around, and then back to its original spot (forcing a nodes rebuild I guess?). Or just slap a column over the offending area and call it a day! 

Here’s an earlier version which had the windows. They actually worked here but I screwed up making the sectors and forgot to make actual outdoor walls, in trying to fix them I kinda just broke them. I think I can add them back in now but I’ll probably make the indoor sections look better first

I have some suggestions:-

• You can use border textures like SUPPORT3 whenever you switch wall textures (1 bar is 24 units in length). You can even indent it to make it pop.
  • Lighting shifts can go a long way.
  • I would suggest a bit more texture variation especially in the outdoor area speaking of which.

The outdoor area needs the most reworking out of all of the areas. Here are some suggestions for the outdoor area:-

• Make the red key stand out. Make something like a pedestal where it easily catches the player's eyes.
  • Height changes. At it's current state, the outdoor area looks a bit like a wolfenstein level. There is only one texture on the ground which is very monocolour. I think a few height changes would enhance the overall experience as in it's current state, it looks a bit like a chore.
  • The Red key indicator texture will look better if it is bordering the door instead of being on top of it.
  • Error: At the final door, the DOORTRAK textures are not upper and lower unpegged.

Overall, we all begin somewhere. And no way in hell is our first map good (Mine were even worse than yours). But as they say, "Practice makes a man perfect". This can become a good first map for a mapset (However, I would suggest you to not make a megawad at this early of your mapping career.)

20 minutes ago, SuyaSS said:

I have some suggestions:-

• You can use border textures like SUPPORT3 whenever you switch wall textures (1 bar is 24 units in length). You can even indent it to make it pop.
  • Lighting shifts can go a long way.
  • I would suggest a bit more texture variation especially in the outdoor area speaking of which.

The outdoor area needs the most reworking out of all of the areas. Here are some suggestions for the outdoor area:-

• Make the red key stand out. Make something like a pedestal where it easily catches the player's eyes.
  • Height changes. At it's current state, the outdoor area looks a bit like a wolfenstein level. There is only one texture on the ground which is very monocolour. I think a few height changes would enhance the overall experience as in it's current state, it looks a bit like a chore.
  • The Red key indicator texture will look better if it is bordering the door instead of being on top of it.
  • Error: At the final door, the DOORTRAK textures are not upper and lower unpegged.

Overall, we all begin somewhere. And no way in hell is our first map good (Mine were even worse than yours). But as they say, "Practice makes a man perfect". This can become a good first map for a mapset (However, I would suggest you to not make a megawad at this early of your mapping career.)

Thank you! Yeah after last night I think I want to redo the outdoor area completely but keep the same idea of the imps on the pillars. I like the idea of it and I think it’s a good way of making an arena that’s less threatening than it looks, though I’d like to have a bunch of different pillar heights and maybe a secret teleporter chain so you can quickly kill all the imps on your way over to the exit.

I’d like to try making a more open map after this one. I’m used to making platformers so I’m good at linear structures and escalation but not so much more explorable spaces.

Finally found some time to work on this more! I haven't really focused on making the map look nice since I'd rather get the layout right first but I think I can do that next.

Completely redid the final arena based on the feedback I got and it looks and feels a lot better now. Thanks again for the advice everyone! It's been very helpful and I feel like I've been getting the hang of this