Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

TNT: The Way We Remember It (RELEASE)

On 3/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, PsychEyeball said:

Likewise, MAP31 had HOMs when played with TNT.WAD

That's my mistake, those lines are just untextured. Never noticed it while testing since I have crispy doom disable the HOM effect lol

This is bad music is crap and some of the map don't even look like the OG version a mastermind in map 31 were they smoking crack wanted to like it but it just feels like a kick in the nuts and disrespectful to the source material i was showing peeps in discord of the map names and why it not funny it just cringe that my thoughts on sorry if you disagree 

43 minutes ago, Nightmare2989 said:

sorry if you disagree 

It's less about disagreement and more about the way in which you conveyed your feedback: you can be critical of a piece of work without insulting the people behind it, which is a lot more useful if you want your feedback to actually be taken onboard. Maybe try and tone down the substance abuse accusations, heh.

1 minute ago, Obsidian said:

It's less about disagreement and more about the way in which you conveyed your feedback: you can be critical of a piece of work without insulting the people behind it, which is a lot more useful if you want your feedback to actually be taken onboard. Maybe try and tone down the substance abuse accusations, heh.

Well i just got issuesd a warning for been rude which i feel i was not so DW is in my shit list

2 minutes ago, Nightmare2989 said:

Well i just got issuesd a warning for been rude

Yes, and I was the one who gave it to you.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare2989 said:

which i feel i was not

Would you feel the same if those words were pointed at you and your work? If someone said the music you used was crap and that you were smoking crack when you constructed your map? Your words don't exist in a vacuum and whether or not they're rude is not something you alone get to decide.

I've been playing this wad on UV difficulty in continuous format. It's the second consecutive TNT megawad I've played, and has just served to emphasize that for me TNT maps are more enjoyable than Plutonia ones, though the latter seem to be more critically acclaimed.

MAP16 was interesting, in that I'm not sure whether it has a bug - it seemed impossible to acquire the red skull key from its pedestal, but for some reason if the player goes to and fro in the blood pit in that room for long enough, they can sometimes accidentally pick up a randomly placed red key, though it's never actually visible. Is this a workaround to ensure that the player can finish the level, or is it just an inexplicable anomaly?

1 minute ago, Summer Deep said:

I've been playing this wad on UV difficulty in continuous format. It's the second consecutive TNT megawad I've played, and has just served to emphasize that for me TNT maps are more enjoyable than Plutonia ones, though the latter seem to be more critically acclaimed.

MAP16 was interesting, in that I'm not sure whether it has a bug - it seemed impossible to acquire the red skull key from its pedestal, but for some reason if the player goes to and fro in the blood pit in that room for long enough, they can sometimes accidentally pick up a randomly placed red key, though it's never actually visible. Is this a workaround to ensure that the player can finish the level, or is it just an inexplicable anomaly?

It's intentional, although I'm not sure if the original did it? Pressing a switch lowers a voodoo doll onto a red key, thus collecting it. I don't think there's any other way to collect it.

Just now, Summer Deep said:

Where's the switch? I don't think one was visible.

It might've been a walk over trigger. I don't exactly remember what does it, but I know something does it.

7 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Where's the switch? I don't think one was visible.

From what I recall, one of the sides of the marble platforms in the red key room is actually a switch (though it just has the normal marble texture). So, if you were running around humping walls, you probably activated the key sequence at some point.

One critique I have for these The Way We Remember It projects is that they seem a bit overly shitposty at times when they don't need to be. The whole "recreate a map entirely from memory" thing is such an interesting idea in my opinion and it would be cool to see mappers try to recreate maps from memory using their full potential, making sure maps still adhere to Doom level design practice using the knowledge they already have, but it does seem that many just see the whole concept as goofy and non-serious, and the maps end up coming out a bit 1994. I don't mean that the mappers didn't put any effort into this project, of course they did, but often times they don't feel like "proper" maps if you know what I mean. An example in this project is MAP03, it's overly small and claustrophobic. Even if the mapper misremembered the size of the map, Doom level design rules generally dictate that rooms should not be super cramped, if that makes sense. (Also, the song for MAP07 is an obvious shitpost. I wanted to turn the audio off when I got to that map.)

Of course, I have no mapping skills, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I must say though, I do love MAP04 in this. It's so different from the original that it makes it super interesting. There's entirely new rooms, missing rooms, and a completely different layout. Feels like part of it was confused with MAP06 from the original. I'd love to see a version that had the layout from this, but the room design from the original. It would feel like an alternate or prototype version of MAP04.

Edited by Individualised

Cool! I remember enjoying the Doom 1 and 2 editions of this project.

I am checking this one out right away!

In MAP05, one of the steps of the staircase to the north of the control room at the center of the map is missing a texture.

Late due to having to recover it from a computer I no longer owned (which I was able to do!), but this is the fixed version of MAP15. Also contains a few slight changes from the version that was present (basically just me messing around with textures, reverting a few changes that I think made it too much like the original that I kind of had an unfair advantage on from playing all four IWADs on a loop for a year straight using DoomRPG). This also contains the fix for the missing texture in MAP05 (which actually isn't missing - it was a texture that I had accidentally merged into my TNT.wad that isn't present in the original one, w h o o p s)

TNTTWWRI MAP05MAP15fixes.zip

I've been playing this a bit and I noticed that the intermission text is the same as base TNT. I went into the dehacked lump and fixed the text for you. I know I am not a part of this project, but you guys had the text set to C#Text and not T#Text.

Attached is the amended dehacked lump with the mended text so in PrBoom and other ports the right text will appear.

DEHACKED.zip

16 minutes ago, ClumsyCryptid said:

I've been playing this a bit and I noticed that the intermission text is the same as base TNT. I went into the dehacked lump and fixed the text for you. I know I am not a part of this project, but you guys had the text set to C#Text and not T#Text.

Attached is the amended dehacked lump with the mended text so in PrBoom and other ports the right text will appear.

DEHACKED.zip

Part of this is made to be ran on Doom 2 and other parts are made to be run on TNT.WAD. Some levels use Doom 2 assets while others need Final Doom assets it seems. That might be fixed now though.

Unlike its official counterpart, MAP07 does not let me backtrack to the starting area; if there is a way, I cannot find it.

I am mentioning it because I seem to be missing a secret. I suspect it is the ammo on top of the rectangular block, but I do not know how to get to it.

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Unlike its official counterpart, MAP07 does not let me backtrack to the starting area; if there is a way, I cannot find it.

I am mentioning it because I seem to be missing a secret. I suspect it is the ammo on top of the rectangular block, but I do not know how to get to it.

There is a way, but it's horribly nonintuitive because I completely misremembered how that worked.

Spoiler

Take a closer look at the teleporter on the island outside the prison.

Okay, after the fiasco in Decino´s latest video I decided to fix map20 myself since the submitted fixes went horribly wrong.  I don´t  know why was the overall design of the contraption changed so much that it can break - according to comments it can cause HOMs,   the linedefs with the crucial anti softlock sideswitches FLIPPED and textures of 2 of the 3 shootables switches changed.  It kinda feels like a bad joke bth. The damage is already done though... Anyway here is the fixed version made from my saved copy. Tested in Crispy Doom.

MAP20_FIX_DEFINITIVE.7z

In MAP13, the secret closet (hidden behind a computer terminal wall) with two Medikits only opens once; when I returned to get them, interacting with the wall did nothing. Oh, and in the central hub-like arena, the elevators no longer work after I use them once.

Edited by Rudolph

10 hours ago, Rudolph said:

In MAP13, the secret closet (hidden behind a computer terminal wall) with two Medikits only opens once; when I returned to get them, interacting with the wall did nothing. Oh, and in the central hub-like arena, the elevators no longer work after I use them once.

Good call. @Engired here's an update.