Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

pop-up killers

where can I get a good one?

I'd like to get ride of those annoying pop-up screens telling me to buy stuff I don't need...

thanks

Try ad-aware by lavasoft. It's freeware and it removes all spyware from your pc. Look it up on Google, good luck :)

Scientist said:

Buy a mouse. With this you can get rid off any pop-up by clicking on the little x on the top right of the pop-up.

I know some looping spam sites that would just love to make your aquaintance...

Scientist said:

Buy a mouse. With this you can get rid off any pop-up by clicking on the little x on the top right of the pop-up.

What a brilliant idea! However, I'm sure he already has a mouse. :P

FirebrandX said:

I know some looping spam sites that would just love to make your aquaintance...

I have a cool concept for you: don't visit them.

I just turn off JavaScript for Netscape, and not a single popup pops up. However, there's still the banner ads. For those I use Atguard. I may have to uninstall and reinstall it every three weeks or so, but it's worth it. And if I need to use JavaScript to visit a site, I just use Internet Explorer.

If you use Mozilla, you can block most regular ads by adding stuff like this to userContent.css:

iframe,applet,embed,object { display: none; }
img[width="468"][height="60"] { display: none; }
img[width=468][height=60] { display: none; }

I normally use Opera with javascript, pop-ups, and maybe some other stuff disabled. I see maybe an ordinary banner here or there.

for gods sake get Pop Up Killer (PUK) and install it properly it's the only one worth bothering with. Go to download.com and look for it already

Fredrik said:

And there's a prime example why using a web browser that's integrated with the OS is RETARDED.

Yeah, the benefit of using Mozilla is that it runs so slowly that you can actually close it before anything untoward has had time to work.

In any case, Explorer.exe is not the same as Iexplore. Killing the Iexplore process in Task Manager would eliminate the problem that site timmie posted poses.

Or what I've done with my IE is to disable Active Scripting in the "Internet" zone. I modified the "Trusted Sites" zone to use the Medium default setting and add any site that needs Active Scripting to work to it.

I don't "Trust" any sites to go through my "Low" setting.

Yeah, the benefit of using Mozilla is that it runs so slowly that you can actually close it before anything untoward has had time to work.

Good thing for me that I don't use Mozilla.