Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

Built-in Doom3 Editor

Has id said anything about when we can use the built-in map maker? If we can use it right when we install the game or have to beat the game or??

It would kind of destroy allot of peoples adventures spirit of getting deeper and deeper into the levels of doom to discover new demons, textures, etc.. No one is forcing you to use it right away, but it would be so tempting. Plus the map maker isn't going to make anything great if they haven't played the game much.

BTW: If id did say something about it, could you maybe give me a link or tell me the name of the doomworld forum post talking about it.

If I remember correctly, one of the id guys said the editor would be part of the actual game engine.

From this interview :

Voodoo Extreme -- "How committed is id to producing user modifiable content? Obviously making user modifiable multiplayer games is a long way different from providing user modifiable scripting systems, producing specific animations and so on. What kind of tools will be used to create animations for instance, and will any pre-parsing tools be released to the public?"

John Carmack -- "The decisions to integrate all tools (editor and map processing) directly into the executable, and to make map source data required for loading in addition to derived data, make the new game far and away the easiest to create content for. Every installation that can play the game can edit the game.

Also, I have banished the last of the binary file formats, so everything (except standard data files like .wav and .tga) is now in easily explored and understood text files."

What most people keeps forgetting is that DooM3's editor will be easy to use FOR the new generation of engines. It will be harder than Q3A, and I'm pretty sure most people can't make Q3Radiant start working in order to see objects.

Aha, that's what I was looking for.

That is definately the right concept, but like Zaldron said, it'll probably take ages to learn it all.

Indeed, it takes dedication to get modern editors working! I can't remember how many driver updates i waded through to get Q3R running. (ok, glSetup did the trick right away).

Serious Editor was nice tho. It worked right away, without having to do any bullshit. The readme actually made it sound like quite a job to get it going... It too was actually running the full serious sam engine in the editor. Wanted to test the map? Just hit T, and the game will start right there in the window. Pretty cool, hope D3's editor will be something like that.. hopefully NOT in-game! That would kill all the good stuff that windows gives you (yes, there are actual positive stuff in windows :))

I hope the level editor will be more like modelling this time. But i guess it'll be back to slapping around brushes :(

I guess the best way to do stuff is to import brushes from MAX, Lightwave or Maya. id has NO need to make a super complex editor taking in mind they have registered Maya copies to make all the funky shit.

The editor will be powerful basically because the community needs it, but I doubt you'll be able to do what id does without using 3d modelling packages.

Since I have more experience with MAX than anything else, you'll be damn sure I'll create entire prefabs for my own use on MAX. Not only meshing is easier, but skinning too. That's the worse part of working with these level editors, all the surface mappers are a royal pain in the ass.

UNREALED is the WORST fucking piece of shit editor i've EVER used. I haven't seen a wolfenstein editor that's more annyoing than that unrealed.

Tell me, what's so great about unrealed? Sure, you can slap together a box map very quickly, but try doing something good with it. Gawd, it blows.

Q3Radiant's tough as Hell, but it has some really nice brush manipulation tools. Unrealed is powerful because it's ease of use, but sometimes it's hard to make decent structures with it. I find all the UI annoying, while Radiant's simple windows with the Z meter rocks.