Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreamskull

What custom monsters do you use? Do you modify?

I use...

Gatekeeper - Most Intimidating

Bruiser Demon - Most Well Crafted

Pyrodemon - Most Unpredictable (Hardest to Modify)

Evil Marine - My Absolute Favorite (Stock Plasma)

Death Knight - Tough, Durable (Also Difficult to Modify)

Melee Revenant - Truly Spooky, Satisfying

Melee Disciple - Eerie, Ambient

Super Flying Imp - Good Scouter, Underrated

...with modified stats - How about you? Do you have comparable category? Do you modify already custom monsters? If so, how do you utilize?

I usually modify monster speed as monster speed plays into my goal of forcing player movement - I usually tweak mine to become suitably faster than average. The results are good, especially on the melee monsters. The monsters that can teleport seem to benefit as well. Its a good challenge.

Im looking for new ideas though. Here or there, anything helps. Tell me all about it and I love details.

Community discussion on whatever custom monster is welcome, either the idea, modification, recommendation, mechanic - I want to hear it all in whatever capacity. How do you use yours?

Edited by Dreamskull

I have entire alt vanilla monster set based on vanilla assets that I upkeep. One set for Zandro based on pure vanilla assets, and one for GZD that uses different assets.

THOHT- The Horror of Hell's Terror classic 

and

THOHT- ADV version is the GZD only variation modeled after FEAR monsters.

THOHT- ADV includes: ZSpec Ops, Wraith, mechs, Zombie civilian, Succubus, Terminator, Fire Imp, Beam Revenant. All modified lightly and heavily. 

I also have an entire set based on the Freedoom monster assets in the form of Brutal FreeDoom GZD.

I tend to use different custom monsters in every different map/project, selecting them according to what kind of map I want make, but I always end up modifying them in some way or another.

With some of them I don't really need to do much, like for example the Arachnorb or the melee revenant, but with others I feel that they're missing something, like the Stone Imp and the Stone Demon, to which I added new sprites and a range pulling attack, or the Tormented Soul, that I started to modify right now cause I feel that he needed a life steal attack, etc.

But yeah, I always at least tweak stats like health, speed and attack damage to everything I use, to make the monsters "fit" the project I'm working on, often due to balance purposes.

Not to mention that I always make brightmaps for everything I download, if they don't have them already or if I feel they're not good enough x) as well as modifications to GLDEFS

When I did Chap DM 3, I made it so it could run with or without custom

monsters. All custom monsters were put in closets with monster teleports

to hide the maroon diamond question marks for when the monster pwad

file wasn't loaded up. Monsters I used were mostly the custom marines =

plasma guy, rocket guy, railgun guy and then I made a few custom imps.

Nowadays, I just release single-map wads so whatever monsters I want

to add are just included in the wad. But I still use monster closets some

because they're fun. Most of what I've put in maps is available here:

http://chapsoftware.com/monstas.htm

I think I like demons that are compatible with vanilla, usually replacing the Wolfenstein SS and Commander Keen, GZDoom custom demons move in patterns different from the standard AI and MBF can make some very cool bosses but for standard demons I don't think they are worth enough to map in MBF just for them.

Something I wanted to do was a Hell Knight from Doom 3, I would take the sprite from D4V, make him taller and tougher, give him back the ranged attack and maybe call him "Terror Bruiser"