Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiR

[Community Project] THE HALLS SPEAK TO ME: A tribute to Underhalls and single-level PWADs

Title: Furious Halls

Author: Sneezy McGlassface

Slot: 07 (don't forget to idclev07)

midi: Quake 2 - The Underworld

Ports tested in: crispy-doom, nugget-doom

Known bugs: none

Thanks to razza and thelamp for testing :)

s8CTAgN.png

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jOvM2i4LUffV9DGJVifiSJdMGE-xvq6-

Edited by Sneezy McGlassFace : update

2 minutes ago, Razza said:

@RED77

Screenshot_Doom_20230313_095018.png.a78d7b5fd302b28dd1948b66469d3a2c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230313_095020.png.d5424b6a16bcf52a78d173f49f2022be.png

Found a big HOM here, looks like part of the wall didn't come down

Thanks for the note. I'll make the correction

As for how the map played, I mostly enjoyed it but it wasn't without a couple of quibbles. The whole monsters-teleporting-behind-you trick got old pretty quickly, and the baron behind the red door (that also teleports behind you) felt like an unnecessary time-sink.

The zombie slaughter on the way to the blue key was a lot of fun, but I was surprised that there was no fight at all after picking up said key, especially after finding the secret in that area that gives you a megasphere and way more rockets than you could ever use

On 3/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, RED77 said:

OK. Here we go:

Map 10

Title: ROUNDED HALLS

Slot: 10

Author: RED77

Ports Tested: DSDA-DOOM /GZDOOM

Known Bugs: not so far

Additional Comments: FIRST VERSION HERE. Difficulties were implemented but I think I need a little balance.
Any feedback is welcome!

CP010_(THSTM)MAP10_ROUNDED_HALLS_BY_RED77.rar

VERSION 2 IS HERE
MAP10_ROUNDED_HALLS_V2_BY_RED77.rar

Thanks, @Razza for the feedback.

Changes made:
-Wall glitch solved
-Change in some fights thru all difficulties. (both in approach and monsters)
-Second secret now it's in a different place and you have to fight for the reward.
-Added some light to the dark section so you can read better the arena.

There are still some days ahead of the deadline, so, If I get new feedback I'll try to polish it a little more.
But I'm really happy with this new version.

yeah I'm out, work hit me hard. Uploading my start in case anyone likes the look and wants to extend it (do whatever you like), or likes the slower custom midi version of underhalls I concocted. The idea was to make a version of underhalls that has been left to infest with demons for a very long time, where most of the map's progression has fallen in disrepair (everything is opened up, mostly) and overrun by throngs and throngs of the original demons of underhalls, but alsothe viles that eventually grow in the sickening zombie pits.

infested_underhalls.zip

Hey everyone, I forgot that ever since I raised the map count to 32 I forgot that the old due date for everything was still as if the set had only 15 maps. I have added some more time up until April 22nd (an extra month) since the April Fool's release window is way too slim for the larger scope of the WAD than the original.

I have also updated the original post to reflect this.

12 hours ago, SCF said:

Is MAP05 still open? If so, I'll take it

Alright, I gave you MAP05.

Alright, here's my submission.

Title: an underhall I guess
Slot: MAP01 for the time being
Author: MFG38
Ports Tested: Crispy Doom 5.10.3, dsda-doom 0.25.2, GZDoom 4.8.2
Known Bugs: N/A
Additional Comments: Layout was speedmapped in 30 minutes, with everything else being done across an additional
3 hours or so. No custom music or difficulty settings yet.

mfg_thehalls.zip

Here's my entry

Version 1

Title: Over-the-tophalls

Slot: Reserved MAP05, but the submission is in slot 2 (for the correct music)

Author: SCF

Ports Tested: dsda-doom

Additional Comments: It's underhalls, except everything is much bigger. Progression is still the same as the original, except I removed the teleporter at the secret. Despite the scale, it can easily be maxed in under 10 minutes. If you want a smooth difficulty/escalation curve it might fit a later map slot better, but I'll leave that up to you. Difficulty settings are implemented.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

mtFBwdB.jpg

Everybody submitting a map, please use the template with title, slot, author etc, it's in the GUIDELINES on first page. So we can make you a beautiful end-level graphic like this.

JJEo6IO.png

On 3/22/2023 at 12:39 AM, SCF said:

Here's my entry

Version 1

Title: Over-the-tophalls

Slot: Reserved MAP05, but the submission is in slot 2 (for the correct music)

Author: SCF

Ports Tested: dsda-doom

Additional Comments: It's underhalls, except everything is much bigger. Progression is still the same as the original, except I removed the teleporter at the secret. Despite the scale, it can easily be maxed in under 10 minutes. If you want a smooth difficulty/escalation curve it might fit a later map slot better, but I'll leave that up to you. Difficulty settings are implemented.

Screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

mtFBwdB.jpg

Heya, I played through it, great map! Even though it's effectively the same as the original MAP02 but blown up in proportion, the detailing kept things looking gargantuan without looking devoid of detail. Admittedly it's funny seeing the tiny demons (and yourself) contrasted against this giant sewage pipe.

Spoiler

Save for that cyberdemon you encounter at the end who seems to be the right size for this kind of place, the map was pretty easygoing, I liked how despite the same general layout the encounters have been spiced up a bit with more enemies. Admittedly, it did take me about 14 minutes to beat it but it was because I was spending a lot of time waiting for everything to infight as I was unsure if I had enough ammo for the cyber.

Aaaand it has been a month. I am still swamped in stuff and haven't gotten a chance to work on doom stuff despite the extra month but I think it's time to make this kind of community project a "It's done when it's done" sort of deal. Anyways, I am in no big rush to get this done so I'm removing the deadline.

I got a HUD finished for the project in the meantime as well as having done some CWILV graphics, but everyone knows what CWILVs look like so I'll just post the HUD.

image.png.9edcf618fe26aec5f603b164885b6614.png

Lookin' neat! (I hope)

Download here: THSTM-HUD.zip

On 6/26/2023 at 2:42 AM, Ar_e_en said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm curious on the progress / state of this wad!

Sorry for the late reply, currently sorting out a really finnicky MIDI and it doesn't want to stop the game from lagging.

At the moment we have 13 maps that are finished and a bunch of loose MIDIs courtesy of @Proxy-MIDI along to fit with them. There's a couple people working on maps still (myself included) so if I were to put a number on it, it's about 50% done. I don't think I'm going to push for a full 30 map set anymore, just whoever's currently participating submits maps, and if they were to drop out the map count would be lowered.

(Large mass ping incoming)

@Large Cat @IvanDobsky @Kuro_mahoh @Helm @Monsieur E @Reelvonic @Bochnik Chleba @Yumheart @Codename_Delta

Hey everyone, It's been a while since the last head count. Is everyone still mapping for this project? No pressure to stay in though, just wanna get a grasp for how many maps I should be counting. The project's not dead, just taking a while longer than expected and I'm still willing to get it done.

2 hours ago, DiR said:

Hey everyone, It's been a while since the last head count. Is everyone still mapping for this project? No pressure to stay in though, just wanna get a grasp for how many maps I should be counting. The project's not dead, just taking a while longer than expected and I'm still willing to get it done.

I'm still planning to finish my map, I'm just busy with a lot of other projects & irl-stuff at the moment. Thank you for your liniency :)

4 hours ago, DiR said:

(Large mass ping incoming)

@Large Cat @IvanDobsky @Kuro_mahoh @Helm @Monsieur E @Reelvonic @Bochnik Chleba @Yumheart @Codename_Delta

I have a map in the works but I haven't touched it in a while because I was caught up with other things and real life things. I'll get back to it soon. 

I've made little progress so far, out of necessarily prioritizing projects with closer deadlines. I'll be able to pick this back up once some other projects have cooled off.

On 7/4/2023 at 5:03 PM, DiR said:

Hello, my map is broadly done and all that's left is to implement a couple of changes based on the feedback I received. I'll get around to those very soon. 

I'd love to make "The Uberhalls" in slot 23. Massive architecture with slaughter gameplay.

On 7/7/2023 at 4:38 AM, Rorix said:

I'd love to make "The Uberhalls" in slot 23. Massive architecture with slaughter gameplay.

Alright, I have you the slot.

Can I make a few MIDIs for this? I would probably want to base the MIDIs around some of the levels to get a matching feel so the music won't clash with it.  If you could list some of the available levels to make MIDIs for, that would be beneficial. 

On 7/13/2023 at 12:51 AM, Rorix said:

Alpha version of Uberhalls is done. Map is in map23. Any and all feedback/criticism is welcome.

Will try it out soon!

9 hours ago, DootMyRev said:

Can I make a few MIDIs for this? I would probably want to base the MIDIs around some of the levels to get a matching feel so the music won't clash with it.  If you could list some of the available levels to make MIDIs for, that would be beneficial. 

Sure, you can join as a composer. Most of the MIDI Organization is over on Discord as we have a couple loose MIDIs that don't have a map attached to them yet until the project gets more finished. Generally, we try to riff off of The Healer Stalks (most of the time only very lightly) for the theme but it's not a hard requirement.

If you don't have discord, here's a screenshot of our current list of maps and MIDIs. Most of the map download links are up over there though so It's recommended if you want to playtest these maps for yourself to get a feel for any music ideas.

Spoiler

image.png.c2fc3f227ac6fc017256cf8c2563ed7b.png

Love this concept and despite the fact that I'm pretty new to the forums, I'd also like to join as a composer. Just asking here first because maybe it'd be weird to join the Discord server without any warning.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:21 AM, Rorix said:

Alpha version of Uberhalls is done. Map is in map23. Any and all feedback/criticism is welcome.

Heya, just tested this out in crispy doom, the door by the blue key doesn't open

That version does have a couple of errors. I'm almost done with the first beta version; it just needs difficulty settings and multiplayer starts.     

First beta of Uberhalls is done! UV is designed to be much harder than HMP, but the map shouldn't be too hard for experienced players regardless.

Edited by Rorix

Title: Ancient Halls

Slot: MAP25

Author: Bochnik Chleba

Ports Tested: Crispy and dsda

Known Bugs: None..

MIDI: Retribution Stalks by solidago

Version 1: ancienthalls.wad

Version 1 (MIDI added): ancienthalls.wad

Screenies:

Spoiler

2023-08-03.png.4529359697df7e427a30fe11afb53a08.png

1177681552_2023-08-03(3).png.ae38e3b1d38c37f442db40199a2b6907.png1604860786_2023-08-03(2).png.7a2189d52d59480f295f7d77c9ba06a4.png

Edited by Bochnik Chleba : Added MIDI