Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Alcohol and college

I'm rather distraught because I'll have to be attending my high school friend's funeral tomorrow on Saturday. The way he died was tragic and avoidable. In high school he was an overachiever and did anything and did it well. He was a 4.0 student with high state honors and also was involved in the local government. When he attended Notre Dame in Indiana, which was expected from someone like him, he was overtaken by the overwhelming freedom of college life. He also realized he didn't have to be the same guy he was back home. Because of that, he explored new possibilities of who he was and let loose in general. Parties were a regular thing for him and he was known as quite the party animal. A big transition from the quiet, well-spoken valedictorian he was in high school. He went to a party (they're held in the red-light district of a town near the college) and was very, very drunk. Friends of his offered him, repeatedly, rides home and he declined them all...which isn't smart, considering where he was. Eye witnesses claimed to have seen him stumbling toward a gas station for directions home -- he had insisted he walk home. Shortly after that, one other witness said they saw him walking toward a nearby forest...

After that weekend, he was noticed missing from classes. This was shortly before mid-term exams, which was odd. When he never returned to his dorm during the week of finals, he was filed as a missing person. A search ensued for months after that, to no avail. His parents were in denial and asked that the police keep searching. They combed the forest and a nearby river for his body...but found nothing. Just a week ago, however, they did find him. When the truth of this came to all the people praying and wondering and hoping, it was an awful blow. Especially to his parents, since he was their only child. He had been my friend since kindergarten and good friends with a lot of people in the area, so it's been rough for us all. So that takes us back to where we are now...a eulogy is going to be delivered by me tomorrow. I've spent a majority of the evening preparing it and I dread the funeral tomorrow. For the parents and his relatives I compiled a book of poetry with writings by me accompanying it, hoping it might help ease their pain. Such a thing could happen to any person, I know, but it's just tragic that such a promising and good person was cut short of their life so early on. Maybe it's because college students, not all of them though, wish to drink so much because it's forbidden. Maybe not. Or maybe that's a reason why they should lower the age for legal consumption of alcohol. He was a good person. This is just a waste, a tragic happening that's been heavy and grievous for me. I'm making a vow to keep dry because of this. In honor of Chad.

Sorry for this big rant but I had to get this off of my chest before tomorrow. Thanks for hearing me out.

I feel for you, man. It's a shame when a promising human being dies young.

Indeed, alchohol is treated as a forbidden fruit. One of the biggest problems is that parents don't want to educate their kids about alcohol before it becomes a problem. Unfortunately, society looks down on parents whjo buy beer for their kids. This shouldn't be.

My dad bought me my first drink when I was 13. He believes, as do I, that parents should give their kids a practical education about vice; this would dispell a lot of the mystique and rebelliousness that make kids want to abuse it after they leave home.

My mom knew a guy in medical school who was VERY smart. She didn't know him well but he was the highest in her class of over 2000, getting perfect marks on everything, a very smart guy, at graduation he went to a party, he was offered some pills, he took them stupidly, and now he's in a wheelchair and can't talk because of it.

Well, damn, Vulg@r, I'm really sorry to hear about your losing a friend. What's so much worse is that it could've been avoided so easily. So tragic to hear. :(

Its odd that deadly drugs such as alcohol are legal yet weed is still illegal. Just another sign that modern society is seriously fucked up.

Scuba Steve said:

Danarchist, Alcohol is just as deadly a drug as pot.

Moderation.

Steve, most people out there can't even SPELL moderation.

Scuba Steve said:

Danarchist, Alcohol is just as deadly a drug as pot.

Moderation.

Umm, no, any moderately unignorant person knows that alcohol is far more deadly. What are you drinking/smoking?

So many god____ teenagers think they're invincible. Stupidity is contageous in the schoolyard.

boris said:

How did he die?

There hasn't been an autopsy report released yet, so we can only assume it was either starvation or drowning. But we don't think foul play was involved.

though i dont think drinking is a bad thing i do think it is bad when people go too far. I mean a few is ok and being soimewhat drunk is alright. however drinking so much you get sick, drinking and driving or other stupid stuff is just ignorant and foolish. Also so is drug use. too many view drugs as harmless yet many of them, includeing humble pot have a nasty after bite. I know a guy who used ecstacy thinking it was alright. after only a few uses it cause a major chemical imbalnce. thus he was extreamly aggressive and angry. Also he then became allergic to the stuff nearly killing him.
my father is a heavy drug addict. so i strongly apose it. also too many kids dont think about drinking and driving. its just plain dumb to do, no excuses. if u drink, stay there. if u drink, know how much you can handle. this is really true for girls.

I also dont like alot of the clubs around here. most are little more than pits full of hard drugs for teens. I have seen a few of them and the floor are often littered with crack viles, needles and other related objects.

it is sad to lose our own to this type of thing, but until people learn(which is not possible for humans) we are forced to live with it

Thanks for all your kind words and understand guys. It really does mean something to me.