Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve D

The Bellicose Barista beta 6 -- Helltech Map

I thought I'd mention that Marines Never Surrender is mainly a working title. I was also considering The Bellicose Barista. Yeah, as Doomguy, you're a shockingly well-armed and aggressive barista. Maybe even a little sociopathic. A real born-to-kill type. So one day a gang of hellspawn shows up, gives you a beating, destroys your coffee stand and robs you blind. Swearing vengeance, you go home, arm up, and follow the trail of those hellspawn jagoffs. They'll be sorry when you catch up with them! ;D

That was everything I hope a level will be everytime I download something. A nice long attack on an enemy installation with varied combat senarios, plenty of secrets to search out and just good solid enjoyment to be had the entire step of the way. My stats as I got to the kill switch 

KILLS 510/511 99%

ITEMS 26/26 100%

SECRETS 6/7 85%

TIME 49.00

I went back into my save at the end to look for the last enemy and secret. Final stats

K 100%  I 100%  S 100%  TIME 49.56 lol 😀

This one went right into my favorite folder. Thank you for making/sharing this!!

Video of my playthrough

Had an early death by a hitscan ambush, but was doing fine after that. Until the first archie, that is. Lots of deaths there. I think I missed a rocket launcher somewhere? I kept thinking it would make my life much easier, and then the map started throwing rockets at me and nothing to fire them from. Eventually I ran out of ammo just as I got to the iconic scene and... well, that was too much. Didn't want to backtrack and look for the stuff I missed, so I turned my eyes yellow and finished the map that way.

I'll give it another go on flatscreen. The ending was too much in VR, but I think I can pull through playing normally.

The map is beautiful. I especially love the liberal use of missing tiles on the floor. Always liked details like that. And every outside area (or just view) looked great.

A lot of it felt kinda forcefully symmetric. Not just the architecture, but the exact same monsters seemed to be coming from both directions a lot of the time. At times it made enemy spawns feel a bit predictable. I'm also not a fan of buttons where it's not immediately obvious what they do, but I guess it sometimes can't be helped.

It's interesting to see something not quite Plutonian pull some nasty ambushes - specfically, the Arch-vile and chaingunner/Revenant double header which killed me 4 times! Maybe it's a good thing that we're never locked in anywhere. It did get a little symmetrical in spots perhaps, but it was very nice, classic action! Nice forested courtyard and Thy Flesh Consumed nods, btw.

lmd_marines.zip

On 2/28/2023 at 5:18 PM, Klear said:

Video of my playthrough

I think I missed a rocket launcher somewhere?

And wait til you see where you missed it;

AVH1fCE.jpg

Yep, you were fighting all around it. ;)

Because the RL can be overlooked in the heat of battle, I decided to put another one in the area near the first Archie. I want the RL to be available for all the fights in this area and beyond, so it's better to place the extra RL as near to where you really, really need it as possible, yet still be positioned in such a way as to endanger the player's life when they try to get it.

I've often been called out for symmetry, in both architecture and monster placement. In this map it's especially true in the Baphomet Room and the next room beyond. The Baphomet Room is slightly different between the sides, for example, only one side has an Archie, though that was a late change from the original perfect symmetry. I did that because I thought most players would find 2 Archies a bit frustrating in that area. My view on symmetry is that once the monsters start moving, the symmetry disappears, unless they're turreted. I do try to avoid that in my newer maps.

And yes, there was that switch by the first Archie which raised some bars in the outer hallway. That why I added the Revvies, to "lead the player with monsters" since otherwise they might wander around for awhile not knowing where to go. That's one reason playthrough videos are so important, so I can spot where such things happen.

Speaking of which, thanks for your VR video. It took some getting used to, in part because I play without freelook, so watching the viewpoint shift so radically was really different for me, plus there was the whole curvature issue here and there. I'm happy that everything worked as it should, which is another thing the playthrough vids are so good for.

I wish you luck on your flatscreen playthrough. Thanks again for your comments and video. :)

15 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It's interesting to see something not quite Plutonian pull some nasty ambushes - specfically, the Arch-vile and chaingunner/Revenant double header which killed me 4 times!

Thanks for your FDA, and allow me to say, well played! I didn't see any deaths at all. One issue I encountered is because PrBoom is crashy on my machine. So every once in awhile it goes down in a heap or, as in this case, the audio crashes. After the first audio crash, I started over, and this time it went all the way to the metal maze before it glitched out, so I decided to watch it without sound.

There was one disappointment -- when you grabbed the BFG, you were able to snatch it without setting off the big teleport trap -- which is what the BFG is for. ;)  I thought I had that fixed after @HAK3180 discovered it in a playtest, so I've now refined that trap in a way I'm sure will work. My apologies for allowing that error.

And yes, I love TFC, especially Against Thee Wickedly.

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

And wait til you see where you missed it;

Oh wow. That's actually hilarious. I blame the VR perspective - I was looking down trying not to step into nukage =)

Gave it another go - again in VR since I remembered I'm not a coward, but no video this time (I play standalone for convenience and recording costs me some FPS).

This one went much better! The very obvious unmissable RPG on the pillar outside helped a ton. Still went pretty low and had to scramble for ammo during the IoS room fight, but it was perfectly managable. I found twice as many secrets than before too (which would be 2 - secrets are just not my thing). The helipad area is awesome. I like how you could potantially just kill everyone, have them infight, or just grab the key and run.

And my new favourite piece of detailing are those high-voltage boxes. Really neat!

Glad everything went well this time, and glad you liked those voltage boxes. They appear in a lot of my post-2013 maps.

I have more commentary for Smugglers, which I'll get to once I finally wake up.

hi! just completed this map in [uv]. found some non-critical errors when loading the [beta 6] map via [gzdoom 4.10]:

Spoiler

Unknown ceiling texture 'GRAYDIA1' in sector 1355
Unknown top texture 'ALLBLACK' on first side of linedef 1543
Unknown top texture 'ALLBLACK' on first side of linedef 1545
Unknown bottom texture 'ALLBLACK' on first side of linedef 1575
Unknown bottom texture 'ALLBLACK' on second side of linedef 1577
Unknown bottom texture 'ROCK10B' on second side of linedef 1902
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5548
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5549
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5550
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5551
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5552
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5553
Unknown bottom texture 'BODIESE' on second side of linedef 5554

my personal views on the map:

• gameplay was not too grindy, nor too light either. felt just nice and fun.
  • love the unpredictability of some switches, some traps and monster placements.
  • despite the big map size, did not feel draggy at all. the changing architecture style (albeit subtle) and monster placements did a good job keeping me on my toes.
  • chaingunners everywhere. however, the amount of health pickups and ammo was adequate to compensate.
  • adore the switches where the result of activating them could be visually seen from their respective location. imo relying on sound alone to discern the whereabouts of a hidden wall being opened etc can sometimes be tough. loud in-game/other music could easily drown the aural indicators (in my case, always does 😅).
  • excellent multiple use of the same area for different battles.
  • liked the numerous strategies a player could make in the map, especially at the yellow key area - either completely clear the area before entering by triggering monster infighting at the gates, or use the terrain for cover via backtracking, or just directly confront the monsters like in a slaughter map (circle-strafing, etc).
  • the final mini battle before exit was a bit sadistic. without a comprehensive health insurance plan above 60% and enough cells, would most certainly have died 😅.

this is a delightful map to play with awesome vanilla visuals. piqued my interest to play other maps you made. thanks for making+sharing this! 😊👍

22 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Sorry I'm late, Steve! Awesome map, my friend. ;^)

No worries, fam. Always happy to see "The Thunder From Down-Under". :)

This was a very entertaining playthrough. I didn't do an accurate count, but IIRC there was a total of 5 pelts on hand, so I was satisfied. I was especially impressed by how you discovered the single best way to deal with the BFG fight. I'm not as fleet of foot as you, so I never make it in there, and always go the brute-force route straight at the Cyb/Archie hallway. No one ever said I was smart. ;D

"Billy Backstab tactics" 'ey? I like that and will remember it. Watching you turn around and catch a Revvie rocket in the face made my day, fam. ;)

I do regret that a couple times you went off on long, fruitless searches, especially the one where the Revvies just weren't loud enough to draw your attention to the right path after you killed the first Archie and hit that switch, which has no immediately obvious effect. So there are flaws in this map, but I may have an answer for that one, though it might be kind of goofy. Maybe have arrows light up on the floor? Primitive, but effective. Or maybe have that switch open a barred and very obvious switch in the outer hallway. Seriously, I have watched players wander for 20+ minutes in one of my maps because they hit a switch and couldn't find the door that opened in the very room they were in, because of awkward placement. I feel like a jagoff whenever that happens, because I know it's my fault.

Even though I love watching players die in my maps, I was just as happy to watch you dance away from death on multiple occasions. Yeah, I was cheering you on because it was hugely entertaining. Thanks!

On 3/7/2023 at 1:21 AM, rita remton said:

• liked the numerous strategies a player could make in the map, especially at the yellow key area - either completely clear the area before entering by triggering monster infighting at the gates, or use the terrain for cover via backtracking, or just directly confront the monsters like in a slaughter map (circle-strafing, etc).

Thank you!

When it comes to the YK fight, I remember when @FrancisT218 playtested it. He ran straight into the north alcove after the Archie had left, killed the 2 Chaingunners, and then rocketed everything that approached from outside, including Archie, completely nerfing the whole fight. I was honestly crestfallen. ;D I had never thought of doing that, and when I copied what Francis did, sure enough, it worked just as well for me. There's a certain risk that you'll get killed if things don't go your way, but the odds are on your side. The main thing is that this fight is over once Archie is dead.

Btw, there was an earlier version where I replaced two Cacos with PEs, but it was IMO a little too crazy. It does make the battle much tougher, tho.