Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLPerrin

Doom 30th anniversary book, do you want in?

Ok i have a few questions for you about this and no before you ask i am not a admin or a mod, i'm just asking some questions about this. I do like the sound of a 30th anniversary book for doom and all but i want to know a few things:

How many chapter are you plan on having in the book?

Can the subjects be anything like "how did you get into dooming or mapping for a 30+ year old game" and "What is it about doom you enjoy as a mapper, play tester or make content for doom?"

And finally i know this is a passion project and you don't have the money for it but i wanna know where can we read it when it's done?

Overall i do really like the idea of a book but the main one i wanna know is what i said before the subject of a chapter. Can it be anything or do you have a set subject for each chapter(s).

7 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Ok i have a few questions for you about this and no before you ask i am not a admin or a mod, i'm just asking some questions about this. I do like the sound of a 30th anniversary book for doom and all but i want to know a few things:

How many chapter are you plan on having in the book?

Can the subjects be anything like "how did you get into dooming or mapping for a 30+ year old game" and "What is it about doom you enjoy as a mapper, play tester or make content for doom?"

And finally i know this is a passion project and you don't have the money for it but i wanna know where can we read it when it's done?

Overall i do really like the idea of a book but the main one i wanna know is what i said before the subject of a chapter. Can it be anything or do you have a set subject for each chapter(s).

More than happy to answer any questions.

"How many chapter are you plan on having in the book?"

At the moment, there are 22 chapters. I may lose one through editing but I have another chapter that I'm currently researching to add in the future draft. Depending on how the editing goes (which I'm currently doing), it'll be at least 20 chapters though.

"Can the subjects be anything like "how did you get into dooming or mapping for a 30+ year old game" and "What is it about doom you enjoy as a mapper, play tester or make content for doom?"

This particular chapter is for Doom fans to say whatever they like. Its focus is 100% on the Doom fanbase and I want to get a good mix of views and opinions. From people who pour over every detail of Doom, to more causal fans who just like to shoot Hell-spawn in the face with a shotgun. If Doom has got you into creating WADS, great. Anyone who does make Doom content, I'll be more than happy to give them a plug in the book, YouTube videos, maps, etc.

"And finally i know this is a passion project and you don't have the money for it but i wanna know where can we read it when it's done?"

Anyone who gets chosen for this chapter and makes it into the book, I will quite happily send them a PDF of the completed book (as well as updates of this specific chapter so they can see just how their words will look and so they can make changes ahead of publication, if they wish). But for physical editions, it will be self-published on Amazon and available to buy for Kindle, paperback and even a hardback format from the 10th of December.

Here's a sneaky peek at the title...

TITLE.jpg

Edited by SLPerrin

Could I contribute as well? Also, I'd like to know the deadline for the write-up submission(s).

This is one of those things that on paper I'd LOVE to write for, but I think I probably wouldn't get my piece done in time.

3 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Could I contribute as well? Also, I'd like to know the deadline for the write-up submission(s).

As long as you're a Doom fan, yes.

I'll not be asking for people's content until summer, around July and the deadline for content will be the start of October.

This gives people plenty of time to scribble down a few words and for me to edit and finalise the book.

Folks are free to start with their contributions whenever they like. Start right now if they wish. But I won't be asking for people to send it to me until summertime.

3 hours ago, OpenRift said:

This is one of those things that on paper I'd LOVE to write for, but I think I probably wouldn't get my piece done in time.

There's plenty of time.

I'm not asking people to send me their words until July and the cut-off for submissions will be the start of October.

I'm limiting people to 500 words max as there's already quite a few people wanting to contribute and I have to keep an eye on the word count for the chapter.

That's loads of time for people to write whatever they want and also gives me time to edit and finalise the book. Folk can start writing their bit now if they wish but I won't be asking for it until July.

I'm currently editing the book now but it'll take several drafts before it's ready.

I will mention this again in a couple of months and offer updates on the book so that people can get their names down for contributions.

As I say, I won't be asking for anything from anyone until July. But if anyone is interested, feel free to start with your bit whenever you like. Gives you plenty of time to get some words down, make edits and so on.

As a few guidelines, the sort of thing I am looking for are personal memories and what Doom means to you. 
When was the first time you played Doom and how did it make you feel? Has Doom inspired you to do anything creative yourself, do you make WADS, fan movies, etc? Have you got into game dev because of Doom and id Software? Why do you think Doom had remained so popular for 30 years? Share stories on your personal favourite (and not so favourite) Doom ports, etc.

The idea is for this chapter to be 100% Doom fan focused and for the fans to share their passion for the game in their own way.

I think this is a really good idea and I would gladly participate in this project.

I would also like to ask a quick question: how will the PDF copy be shared with the contributors? Will it be sent to all the members individually through the mail?

Edited by Geniraul

17 hours ago, Geniraul said:

I think this is a really good idea and I would gladly participate in this project.

I would also like to ask a quick of question: how will the PDF copy be shared with the contributors? Will it be sent to all the members individually through the mail?

I'll ask everyone who's interested in contributing to private message me in a later post with more details. This'll give me a list of folk's names and I can send them my email address so we can keep in contact and we can sort out finer details (how they want to be addressed in the book, etc)

Then, I'll email everyone a PDF of the book when it's ready.

A quick aside. I'll make it a 600 word limit as that's roughly 1.5 pages in the book. But I'll also offer flexibility,if someone sends me a 650+ words of good content, I'm okay with that too. Plus, there is the high possibility of me having to edit people's words to fit the format of the book, so some sway will be needed.

If someone does an amazing 1000 word contribution full of great work. I might let that in too.

But the general rule is to stick to around 600 words max.

3 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Is this book going to be for sale? Are contributors getting paid?

As I have no money to offer as payment, I will be offering anyone who does get selected to contribute a PDF copy of the book before its release. You'll also get full credit for your words and a personal thanks too.

Not sure if this will be sold, though. Perhaps it's safer to wait for the guy to have the say.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, SLPerrin said:

As I have no money to offer as payment, I will be offering anyone who does get selected to contribute a PDF copy of the book before its release. You'll also get full credit for your words and a personal thanks too.

So are you gonna explore our work/expertise for free and then you will gonna earn money for it?

No, thanks. Sounds like a scam.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:58 AM, taufan99 said:

Not sure if this will be sold, though. Perhaps it's safer to wait for the guy to have the say.

"it will be self-published on Amazon and available to buy for Kindle"

Edited by Noiser

If you use the work of community members and then charge money for it, many people (including myself) will be quite upset. 

Not to be a shitty gatekeeper, but you also have no prior community experience besides this thread and whatever wads you may have played.

You're poking the bear with this whole scenario. I'd advise great discretion regarding this. If it's a good book, then I give you all the credit in the world. But if not...

On 3/3/2023 at 4:03 AM, Noiser said:

So you will explore our work/expertise without paying us and then you will gonna earn money for it?

No, thanks. Sounds like a scam.

People are free to not contribute. Why say that it sounds like a scam? Just choose not to contribute and move on. Exactly what is the 'scam' that you refer too anyway? I've been completely upfront and transparent on exactly what I am going to do and that I can't afford to pay people. So, where's the 'scam'?

I already have quite extensive work/expertise myself thanks, as the book is at over 70,000 words (so far)... all my own. I'm not asking people to spend months working on some content, writing in-depth guides, analysing the game, etc. A few hundred words that'll take no longer than an hour. I just thought that some fans might like to add a few words of their own and be part of a book celebrating 30 years of Doom, that collectively, would make up a single chapter in a book over over 20 which has taken a great many months of work in writing and research by me. If all you care about is money, then to be perfectly frank, I don't want you contributing to begin with. You're most definitely not the kind of Doom fan that I want in my book.

Also, I'm hardly J K Rowling. When it comes to 'making money'. I've made about a total of £20 from previous books that I have written. I write because I enjoy it, not to make money. Hey, if anyone who wants to contribute and wants a share of around 50p each, I'll get the cheques written up post-haste...

Edited by SLPerrin

If you use the work of community members and then charge money for it, many people (including myself) will be quite upset. 

Then don't contribute. I don't mean to come across as blunt, but what is the point in this comment?
How and why will you be 'quite upset' over something that doesn't involve you?

Not to be a shitty gatekeeper, but you also have no prior community experience besides this thread and whatever wads you may have played.

Why do I require 'community experience'?
I mistakenly thought that this one one of the best and most highly regarded Doom fan forums on the planet. Seeped in rich history of decades and crammed with like-minded Doom fans that enjoy the game and its legacy. I also rather mistakenly thought that some of the Doom fans might like to be featured in a book celebrating 30 years of Doom.

Hey, I guess that I was wrong.

You're poking the bear with this whole scenario. I'd advise great discretion regarding this. If it's a good book, then I give you all the credit in the world. But if not...

But if not.. what exactly?
What bear am I poking when I've been upfront from the start? Why do I need 'great discretion'?
If folk don't want to contribute, then don't move on. No need for the thinly-veiled threats though.

Edited by SLPerrin

On 3/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, Scuba Steve said:

Is this book going to be for sale? Are contributors getting paid?

It'll be on Amazon for Kindle, paperback and hardback from the 10th of December.
As for payment, I covered that in the first post.

As I have no money to offer as payment, I will be offering anyone who does get selected to contribute a PDF copy of the book before its release. You'll also get full credit for your words and a personal thanks too.

You probably shouldn't sell this book without paying the contributors. I wouldn't say it's a scam though, but it does make you look like a greedy a-hole. I feel this could be something interesting, but you should probably avoid selling it.

3 hours ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

You probably shouldn't sell this book without paying the contributors. I wouldn't say it's a scam though, but it does make you look like a greedy a-hole. I feel this could be something interesting, but you should probably avoid selling it.

he could, but depending on how many exactly,  would being paid something like max $10  most likely for your contribution really be worth it? It's sort of a principle thing that Ludi was referring to, which I understand, but dasho with the bit about Amazon says why there's little or nothing to be worried about otherwise. 

Anyway, a free PDF copy sounds like a great deal to me, quite honestly!

PS: It's probably because I'm not really personally concerned with the whole thing. Call me naive if you want but it's not like he's asking for much other than personal stories. It'd be one thing if people were asked to do creating something like reviews or maps to a project that end up being sold commercially. Now if anyone was contributing something major, it would be another story. It just seems like a personal research project more than anything else. And I don't think contributors have too much of a role in that beyond the purpose as originally stated.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

2 hours ago, dasho said:

I'm really confused as to the reception to this, at least the "scam" angle.

I don't think it's a scam, I just think it's exploitative. This is largely a hobby forum... When money starts changing hands, it raises a lot more questions about the rights of an individual's intellectual property.

I'd honestly love a illustrated book with great art pieces and decelopment stories. Mayne even lore for new doom. 

17 hours ago, YeOldeFellerNoob said:

I have been 100% clear and upfront from the start.
Why should I not sell if the contributors are happy for their words to be in the book?

Edited by SLPerrin

17 hours ago, dasho said:

I'm really confused as to the reception to this, at least the "scam" angle. As far as I can tell, every detail that is being griped about was stated very clearly and honestly in the first post; you can view this person's prior body of work on Amazon to at least realize that he is most likely describing his goals and existing contribution to the book accurately. Someone can agree to be interviewed or contribute text without payment. What's the issue? At least he's asking. I'm pretty sure he could just mine this forum and DoomWiki and paraphrase everything with little to no credit.

Some common sense.
Thank you.