• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Individualised

Best Quake II source port?

55 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I've been running Yamagi from my Steam library as a non-Steam game:

image.png.cf5132ea623e059cb2dd911ede8bf6b4.png 

From what you say it sounds like there's a more integrated way to do it. Could you share more info about this?

Yamagi comes with an exe file that replaces the one you get from Steam, basically. If you launch quake2.exe and open the console, it should have the stuff saying what version of Yamagi it is. And it does work with the game/missionpack selector and Steam overlay.

16 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Unless things changed in the last 3-ish years, I recall that both KMQ2 and Q2Bers are dead in terms of development. No more new releases. Yamagi and Q2Pro seem like the only 2 ports that are still in active development.

I still used it a few months ago and it worked well for me anyway.

+1 on vkQuake2, as far as I'm aware I haven't experienced any issues with it, except that maybe there's no sweet spot for me on gamma, and that the game appears to take some kind of exclusive control over my keyboard and mouse unless I've paused into the game's menu. Am going to have to run those other two and compare my experience to give the most fair opinion.

Also, just since it surprised me when I learned, vkQuake and vkQuake2 are two completely separate projects. Unlike vkQuake which is a Quakespasm fork, vkQuake is based directly on id's source distribution.