• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hakros

The Survival Games 1.5 (SLAUGHTER WAD)

3KAXRna.jpg

Welcome to THE SURVIVAL GAMES !!

The Story

Years ago, a demonic invasion ravaged the solar system and plunged the world into darkness. Humans fought valiantly, but it seemed there was no hope. That was when the hero, the champion, the slayer appeared. With his superhuman abilities, he faced the demons and defeated them, restoring peace to the world.

But shortly after, the UAC discovered that they were not alone, the same demonic invasion had occurred in parallel universes to ours. In some of them, the slayer did not exist and the demons defeated the humans. That was when the UAC created the nexus, which allowed connecting all realities. Thanks to this, they were able to create a weapon with which to control the demons.

With the passage of time, the slayers no longer had anyone to face, since the demons were under control. Therefore, they decided to organize annual survival games. These tests would be administered by the biggest entertainment promoter of the UAC, DRUGOD TV.

The games consisted of a series of challenges that tested the participants' abilities. Only the strongest, fastest, and most intelligent would survive.

--------------------------------------------------------

This is my seventh map created for doom 2.

I hope you like it and have a good experience.

Thanks for your time.

Instructions

Doom2.wad file required to play, just copy the file into 'games\' folder

Name: DRUGOD TV: The Survival Games
Version: 1.5
Format: UDMF
Ports Tested: GZDoom
IWAD: Doom2.wad
Map: MAP01
Gameplay: Single player
Build Time: 4 weeks
Textures: Yes (Included) (based on HakrosTex)
Jumping & Crouching: No
Freelook: Needed
Difficulty: Just one UV++
Dehacked file: No
Secrets: 7

SPECIAL CONFIGURATIONS NEEDED
Sector light mode: DARK
Max FPS: 100 or more
Compatibility with mods: No recommended, performance issues.

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

Standalone version includes also (GZDOOM)

https://hakros.itch.io/hakros-drugod-tv-the-survival-games

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler

s90EiKv.jpg

XatWAZ4.jpg

Prbt6Z2.jpg

KPTdC5s.jpg

aBggo5n.jpg

Edited by hakros

Release 1.2

• Some bugs fixed

PS: I'm still working on the cooperative version

Edited by hakros

I tried, but there's not exactly lots of ammo to go around. I can kill the first 2 Cyberdemons but then I'm all but out of ammo at that point. and then punching the 2nd cyberdemon then running away to the portal to pick up supplies....is not my idea of a good time.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

10 hours ago, Rooster Gold said:

I Cant get past the 1st Cyberdemon, after 10 tries I ragequit but it looks interesting.

10 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I tried, but there's not exactly lots of ammo to go around. I can kill the first 2 Cyberdemons but then I'm all but out of ammo at that point. and then punching the 2nd cyberdemon then running away to the portal to pick up supplies....is not my idea of a good time.

The first cyberdemon?
Wow, well I've tried it many times and it can be done but ok, I've added more ammo at the beginning so it's not so difficult.

3 hours ago, hakros said:

Yes and still can't

I learned a while back making maps for Duke3D that if it's challenging for you on (your own map!) tone it down a bit for the player base.

Also, it's hard to get said player invested if you start out at 11 out of 10 with boss battles. You need to build up to it, give them a chance to sink their teeth in before you bite back or they won't continue playing.

This looks like it took allot of time/effort to put together.
Very well done but isn't assessable to lesser skilled players that will never choose easy skill as an option.

The first cyberdemon?
Wow, well I've tried it many times and it can be done but ok, I've added more ammo at the beginning so it's not so difficult.

52 minutes ago, Rooster Gold said:

Yes it has only one difficulty level....very hard .... xD !
Thanks for playing it ;-) !!

1 hour ago, hakros said:

Yes it has only one difficulty level....very hard .... xD !
Thanks for playing it ;-) !!

I commend your hard work but, this stinks on ice
and you can quote me on that :Rooster Gold

Ok, gave this another go. I think you might want to make it a little more obvious that you're meant to go into the door where the first Cyberdemon emerged from on his right because the cutscene of the shop opening up is just confusing otherwise. It was pretty fun though!

29 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Ok, gave this another go. I think you might want to make it a little more obvious that you're meant to go into the door where the first Cyberdemon emerged from on his right because the cutscene of the shop opening up is just confusing otherwise. It was pretty fun though!

Did you get past the whole map?
Impressive.... :-D !!

23 hours ago, hakros said:

Did you get past the whole map?
Impressive.... :-D !!

Yeah...

I really liked how you tried to vary encounters, despite that they were all large swarms. Also, the general fight staging. Spefically, one might think Part Two: The Circle's over once the three Cyberdemons have been killed, however, waiting 5 seconds reveals....Mancubi all around us! (and another cyberdemon or two shortly after)! I think people will get annoyed by this stuff just as much as the general monster excess, but it's good there's a little more going on tan Lost City of Exion.

Thanks @LadyMistDragon !!

Well, I couldn't tell you that this is going to be my map style forever, but for now I like making more this type of slaughter wads, although as you can see they're not like the traditional ones (with hundreds of enemies together at the same time, except for some exceptions) in my case i try to do more progressive difficulty.

Tested on "UV" (of course x) )

Spoiler

I basically say everything in the videos (like if I couldn't in so many hours, lol), but I will summarize a couple of things here so that you don't have to compulsorily hear my awful english x)

First things first: I played version 1.4 and I know that you already fixed the majority of the stuff I found in my playthrough, so just don't mind that x)

I have to say, highs and lows, so let me split this up:

Highs:

• The map, despite being at times a bit simple (which is 100% understandable considering the monster count) looks really good to me, there a really nice use of textures, room/area shapes, detailing, height variation and also scenery variation, which is definitely not expected in a single map. Also, I haven't found visual glitch (If I remember correctly).
  • The scripting work is amazing. Being to put this all together without going crazy is a great achievement.
  • The additions are really nice and welcomed, like the new powerups and the credits with the shop.
  • The lore is fun and fitting.
  • The fights are most of the times enjoyable, despite slaughters not being my everyday meal. You put a lot of effort in diversifying the encounters and the mechanics and I think that it paid off, cause I never felt bored.

Lows:

• There's a lack of light variation and shadowing.
  • Gate 4: Nice and enjoyable for half of the part, but the crushers are really too annoying, especially with doomguy slippery movement, also I didn't understand why there were medkits under every crusher, cause they're completely unusable. The end, or better, the fact that you have to kill all of the cyberdemons up the "stands" felt tedious.
  • Gate 5: I had to cheated it. At first, when I went back to see how it really worked, I though I was blind, but then, rewatching the playthrough, I can say that for a blind player there's no way to guess that he has to go back after reaching the invulnerability to press other switches. The first instinct is to jump down, cause I was 100% sure that the real fight was down the pit. I suggest you to make this more evident or even to just let the player go back up from there.
  • Gate 6: I believe it was pretty fine, until the chaingunners started to appear up the rocks... there was no way to survive (at least for me), even because I coulnd't (?) go to the shop to get some powerup.
  • Gate 8: Unfortunately this is a total no for me. I think that you should rework the way the player can climb (make it less tricky and maze-like), give more health and ammo here and there and remove the both copied and pasted areas.
  • I couldn't find much "versatility" in the custom enemy count.
  • Some powerups feel pretty useless if you have to buy them.
  • Not showing the credit count (maybe bugged?)

I found a couple of bugs and a couple of "dunnos":

• Completed gate reward when I didn't completed the gate.
  • Unknown script when first "entering" the shop.
  • No way out from nuke and lava pits in the hub.

I hope I didn't forget something important to say, but videos are there to help x)

Anyhow, I'll repeat myself, but I believe this was a fun and challenging experience and I saw tons of improvements from the last map I played, despite the lows that I mentioned are more than the highs, I for the great majority of the map I've been on the "Highs plane", so really wonderful job! Can't wait to see what you'll come up next.

Thank you very much for playing it and for the complete analysis.

PS: I have already fixed a large part of all the problems you mention (unfortunately you are playing an older version)

To solve the problem of the drop in fps, I'm going to try to put a system that deletes the corpses as time goes by, what happens is that I haven't managed to do it yet... xD !!

Edited by hakros

On 3/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, hakros said:

The Story

With the passage of time, the slayers no longer had anyone to face, since the demons were under control. Therefore, they decided to organize annual survival games. These tests would be administered by the biggest entertainment promoter of the UAC, DRUGOD TV.

I come in here because I really love "Slaughter Maps" and whenever I see that tag, I will go there.

but, oh my god..... I wasn't expecting this Story/Lore.

I'm sorry for the Spam, But I knew I wasn't going to be the first to in inventing:

a show to exterminate "invaders" that are now under control.

It calms me to know that in your story there are no elements of "Pinocchio" or an Anime appearance.

Anyway, I'll play this SLAUGHTER WAD.

3 hours ago, DEYBAR_TECH said:

I come in here because I really love "Slaughter Maps" and whenever I see that tag, I will go there.

but, oh my god..... I wasn't expecting this Story/Lore.

I'm sorry for the Spam, But I knew I wasn't going to be the first to in inventing:

a show to exterminate "invaders" that are now under control.

It calms me to know that in your story there are no elements of "Pinocchio" or an Anime appearance.

Anyway, I'll play this SLAUGHTER WAD.

The storyline was written by an artificial intelligence.....xD