Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Ultimate Doom Community Project] Tribute Quilt - let's make a map out of 36 segments to celebrate Doom's anniversary [Beta v3, updated 08.06]

1 minute ago, Amiga Angel said:

Hi. I would love to join and to claim a segment in episode 1.

Episode 1 is 9 maps, so you gotta pick one.

(In case there's any confusion, everyone should pick a specific map to base their segment on)

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Episode 1 is 9 maps, so you gotta pick one.

(In case there's any confusion, everyone should pick a specific map to base their segment on)

I will take the classic E1M1 then, so I will have tags 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 and 19 to work with

3 minutes ago, Amiga Angel said:

I will take the classic E1M1 then, so I will have tags 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 and 19 to work with

Yes, that's correct. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, nue said:

Would be happy to do art for this project. Just message me if your interested 

I'll keep it in mind, will contact you once I'm confident this idea is taking off and have a strong concept.

Just now, Amiga Angel said:

can we place doors, secret walls and similar inside our squares?

Yes, absolutely. Just make sure exits from your segment are still aligned correct.

E3M8 for me, please. I know I probably shouldn't just grab that map so greedily but...

EDIT: What about linedef counts? Any limits? Limit-removing isn't all that limit-removing in that regard, as you probably know.

4 minutes ago, slowfade said:

EDIT: What about linedef counts? Any limits? Limit-removing isn't all that limit-removing in that regard, as you probably know.

Didn't think of it, probably should have.

If you don't overdetail your map, which you should not do, it should probably be fine. But I'll check the limits give proper numbers.

Ok, from what I can gather, the problems would probably start if we exceed 65536 of something, which leaves us about 1820 of everything per segment. Let's try and stick to that. I'll add this to the OP post.

I was too hasty with my map choice. I'd like to switch to E1M2 instead, please.

Alright, had some free time and inspiration so I popped this puppy out. I may sign up for some other slots if you make them available later, this was fun!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-RwA4D-Q4qn1AzHaL-r_M6-Z8F0w4U3/view?usp=sharing

Masters of Vanilla out there, I originally had a bunch of Action 71 (Floor Lower to 8 Above Highest Floor) in here but the floors wouldn't move at all so I had to swap them out to Floor to Lowest. I can't imagine why this would be as they only border single sector so Lowest Floor and Highest Floor should be the same! If someone can explain what's going on I'll switch it back to 71 so the player doesn't have to wait as long for the floors to lower.

Note for @ViolentBeetle - I gave the player all weapons except the BFG at the start, but it can be beat with just a shotgun and chaingun. You can put it wherever you see fit and it'll play just fine with whatever weapons the player has.

9 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Alright, had some free time and inspiration so I popped this puppy out. I may sign up for some other slots if you make them available later, this was fun!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-RwA4D-Q4qn1AzHaL-r_M6-Z8F0w4U3/view?usp=sharing

Masters of Vanilla out there, I originally had a bunch of Action 71 (Floor Lower to 8 Above Highest Floor) in here but the floors wouldn't move at all so I had to swap them out to Floor to Lowest. I can't imagine why this would be as they only border single sector so Lowest Floor and Highest Floor should be the same! If someone can explain what's going on I'll switch it back to 71 so the player doesn't have to wait as long for the floors to lower.

Note for @ViolentBeetle - I gave the player all weapons except the BFG at the start, but it can be beat with just a shotgun and chaingun. You can put it wherever you see fit and it'll play just fine with whatever weapons the player has.

That's an unholy cathedral, alrite. The thing about action 71 is that internal lines makes it think the sector is adjacent to itself. If I guess correctly where you were trying to use it. Doesn't seem like it could be fixed here, though. But if you can think of a way to fix it with this knowledge, feel free.

The teleport puzzle definitely makes more sense here than what I remember.

@nue Ok, so this project is clearly not dead on arrival, so do you think you can make a parody of doom cover, but instead of shooting, doomguy is sewing an actual quilt?

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

@nue Ok, so this project is clearly not dead on arrival, so do you think you can make a parody of doom cover, but instead of shooting, doomguy is sewing an actual quilt?

I’ll see what I can do

Can you message me your discord tag? I’m much more active on there that dw.

Seems like a fun idea. I'm not actually a fan of the Doom 1 maps and don't even know most of them well, and I wouldn't want to take away someone's favorite map, so I'll pick E2M9, a map that's guaranteed not to be anyone's favorite.