Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorcav

[CP] [DSDA CL2] Super Doom TV - [RC1]

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

And here's my submission (finally).

This is a nifty little map, I like the feel of herding monsters about, or at least me finding that the effective way to deal with the encounters. Ammo balance was good as well, had to be careful but not stressed about it. 

For some reason I thought of this as being set in a basement of some complex, maybe it's the metal ceiling stalactites?

Spoiler

So I played this through twice and the second time found a bit of a "softlock" in the Cyberdemon room.

When I played the second time I let the Hell Knights out and while the cyber was taking care of them I pressed the switch in that section to raise the first step. Which then obscures the switch for the pinky section. Which wasn't a problem as I knew the switch was there and could stand on the top step pressing open until it clicked and I could get the rest of the pinkies and move on to the third room. 

I guess my concern is that because you run over that switch at the start of that room there's a possibility a player doesn't see it and does what I did and then can never find the switch (though maybe they could work it out from the placement of the other three?) 

This sounds like a completely extreme edge case, but it happened to me so it seems more probable than maybe it is? 

I did think about that potential softlock more than once, definitely gonna have to rethink the placement of that switch. Anyway, feedback's appreciated!

If dmh094 is opting out, I was wondering if I could have a crack at map 29(assuming you haven't already made something for it). Maybe make something similar to Going Down's map 15?

welp. sorry for saying this right before the deadline, but it seems as though i am completely unable to make a map for this. i've been trying for months now, and...nothing. i haven't been able to get past just a starting area more than once.

sorry.

8 hours ago, digithead100 said:

If dmh094 is opting out, I was wondering if I could have a crack at map 29(assuming you haven't already made something for it). Maybe make something similar to Going Down's map 15?

Yeah, that sounds good! 

5 minutes ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

I have a question. I read earlier in the thread that custom textures under certain conditions are okay, so may I add an additional secret to map01?

Yes, can definitely manage a few if you want to add them to your map and send an updated version

2 minutes ago, Lorcav said:

Yes, can definitely manage a few if you want to add them to your map and send an updated version

incredible news. will repost later with some goodies :)

7 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Finally Here's my submission
Map Name: Walls of Pain
Map Number: 06
Mapper: Jazzmaster
Prompt: Walls of Pain
Music: Core by Stewboy
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/krgkrkex0m2pml3/walls_of_pain.zip/file

Requires OTEX

Tested with dsda-doom-0.24.3

Really love the hot start, and working out which way out is going to be best, only to get sniped by an Arachnotron... the solid red brick with tech highlights is a nice look too and I really liked the second secret.

The combat I think is just right, even with the duel archviles. My first playthrough I think I got all low-damage rolls so the ammo got tight, but second time around seemed much more reasonable. 

Spoiler

Only two things to note really in terms of updating/editing.

The berserk secret has a missing texture on the back of the wall with the little window

The walkway to the blue skull key, you can fall off either side are then trapped down there

12 hours ago, roadworx said:

welp. sorry for saying this right before the deadline, but it seems as though i am completely unable to make a map for this. i've been trying for months now, and...nothing. i haven't been able to get past just a starting area more than once.

sorry.

No worries, completely understand. That's how it goes sometimes.

Are you using any new skyboxes?

Also, you might need to change the title of the post since one of the mappers dropped out.

15 hours ago, Hydrus said:

Are you using any new skyboxes?

Also, you might need to change the title of the post since one of the mappers dropped out.

If you want to add a custom sky to your mp that's fine, just include it with your submission.

@Lorcav, sorry for being too late with my second map. It's almost done, all I need to do now is place triggers and paint the walls with proper textures. I think it would be completely ready on the next weekend.

Here are some screenshots. As you can see, for now it's an untextured mess, but I'll do my best to make it beautiful.

Spoiler

map22_alpha_4.jpg.1582a325cb1cef0302b7a598f3204848.jpgmap22_alpha_2.jpg.68b0134fa9bdebd713f0bb0c830f477a.jpgmap22_alpha_3.jpg.f049400c5b9d8d7c964a02a2aa43db89.jpgmap22_alpha_1.jpg.5d0b180f48d38b29c22033bfebbcf3d4.jpg

1 hour ago, EagerBeaver said:

@Lorcav, sorry for being too late with my second map. It's almost done, all I need to do now is place triggers and paint the walls with proper textures. I think it would be completely ready on the next weekend.

No worries, just started to bring together the font and music and stuff, so maps can still come in any time over the next few weeks and be included

19 hours ago, Lorcav said:

If you want to add a custom sky to your mp that's fine, just include it with your submission.

ahh so we are allowed to add our own sky? That's great to hear. I though we were gonna follow the "Doom 2 sky changes every episode" type deal

I'll upload a new version with a sky soon.

Just now, jazzmaster9 said:

ahh so we are allowed to add our own sky? That's great to hear. I though we were gonna follow the "Doom 2 sky changes every episode" type deal

I'll upload a new version with a sky soon.

Yeah that's cool, you can send me the sky graphic and I'll add it in if that's easier than redoing the map

21 hours ago, Lorcav said:

vfLf5vT.gif

Started working on the intermission map name graphics

That looks cool

The second map is done. It took more time to complete than I expected, but I'm satisfied with the end result.

Map Name: Rock It, Man!
Map Number: 22
Mapper: EagerBeaver
Prompt: Eat My Shrapnel
Music: Spectral Cybernetics by James Paddock.

Map Description: A rather generic techbase with bits and pieces of demonic and angelic (cuz OTEX) influence. You need to find and activate four gem-switches to clear your path to the exit. Your main weapons (99% of the time) will be the SSG and the rocket launcher.

Tested in PrBoom+

As per tradition, some screenshots of the level (without monsters).

Spoiler

map22_5.jpg.98665f81bbdc789eaea11f4a86d2391f.jpgmap22_03.jpg.64a41fd306dccc8060dfd724f98fbadb.jpgmap22_4.jpg.8e121fe6b96652276c22fb657712c2b2.jpgmap22_01.jpg.b9247c93759b3d7771b70488b903b261.jpgmap22_02.jpg.6263e3a7e81cc9068f235a26a427097e.jpg

Rock It, Man!.rar

Edited by EagerBeaver

2 hours ago, EagerBeaver said:

The second map is done. It took more time to complete than I expected, but I'm satisfied with the end result.

Map Name: Rock It, Man!
Map Number: 22
Mapper: EagerBeaver
Prompt: Eat My Shrapnel
Music: Spectral Cybernetics by James Paddock.

Tested in PrBoom+

Rock It, Man!.rar

Having played this through twice, I liked the sense of space in the map and the verticality definitely adds to the feeling of it being a facility. The texturing is varied but not jarring, each section leads to the next. 

The fights are fun and making decisions about making space with rockets or getting close with the SSG kept me thinking about how to manage ammo and approach each encounter. 

This is another great addition to the set.

Spoiler

The main thing I need to mention is that I don't think this is complevel 2 compliant as many of the actions you have on switches are not from the Doom 2 set of actions so don't work as intended.

The long upward staircase, the monsters at the base of the staircase that spawn in at the same time as the ambush halfway up get stuck and can then be picked off one by one rather than flood in and pressure the player as I think you meant to happen

The exit, assuming the gold floor is the true exit, doesn't have any exit properties to end the level. 

The exit, assuming the gold floor is the true exit, doesn't have any exit properties to end the level.

I was too enticed away. Forgot about my level's most essential part! Anyway, thanks for playing. I'll fix this mistake and also make a more spacy teleportation exit point for staircase ambush.

@Lorcav, what switches cause problems? I'll try to change them somehow or think of alternative.

edit - Hmm, wierd. I accidentally changed voodoo doll into a revenant and didn't notice it. This one definitely needs fixing.

Edited by EagerBeaver

1 hour ago, EagerBeaver said:

@Lorcav, what switches cause problems? I'll try to change them somehow or think of alternative.

I've had a rummage around in Doom Builder and located some switches and looked up the action specials on linedefs

Spoiler

LY1WatP.png

I think all four crystal switches have 166:

ci9xlT4.png

50lHIcb.png

Mrhjyj1.png

wxsU6J0.png

Hey mate! So sorry for the lateness. I'm halfway there with my map, trying to do something different (gameplay wise) from my usual stuff.

Is there final deadline?

1 minute ago, Endless said:

Hey mate! So sorry for the lateness. I'm halfway there with my map, trying to do something different (gameplay wise) from my usual stuff.

Is there final deadline?

Cool, sounds interesting

I'm committed to putting out the first alpha version at the start of August, so prior to then for submissions. 

@Lorcav, I've adapted my maps to complevel 2. Now all switches should work as intended.

Also, I made a lot of changes to monster placement in Map22 and added new monster closets.

Here are the new versions. I humbly suggest you to playtest them once more.

Spoiler

If voodoo doll closet in Map21 isn't working properly, than I'll think how to replace it.

edit - I've chaged the height of windows in rooms with the arachnotron ambushes a little bit. The plasma bolts didn't pass through them. Also I reduced the number of arachnos, so they don't get stuck in each other (I always forget that arachnotrons have a very bulky hitbox).

Rock It, Man! 1.2.rar

Fortress of The Horned Beast 1.2.rar

Edited by EagerBeaver