Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poisonhead

Quick stupid question(s) regarding sprite graphic sizes etc

These days now that it's not about saving a kilobyte or two I was wondering when doing sprites for Doom (II), would it be okay to have every image be the same size as the biggest one? Just wondering if there's any justification for cutting all the excess off the images? Then I have to check and adjust positions etc so does this matter? How do you handle this stuff: Create bigger sprite graphics or adjust a few pixel smaller images in your wad editor?

Hope I made sense, my english is still broken, I'm tired, slightly intoxicated etc, been doing doomy stuff all day and night, now fiddling with a few sprites in graphics editor I was wondering if I should just leave them all the same size or is there point in cropping them?

BTW. Today I learnt for the first time problems that vanilla has with custom sprites (crashes if all the sprites aren't present unless dehackery is used). Haven't tried it myself. But if I were to create this project for vanilla, would those extra transparent pixels eat game memory too or just disk space?

PS. I'm doing some dehackery myself, I've sacrificed revenant so far for more stuff. I was looking at the revenant fireball and I guess it shares some graphic and sound assets with other things? (or am I wrong?) Is there a proper list of which sound belongs to which monster/dehacked thing? I'd love a full dehacked list of everything, it'd be easier to keep up with the states by modifying such list as I make progress. I've been replacing stuff here and there for almost a year. Also a list which shows which graphics are used where would be great so I wouldn't accidentally replace something that's used elsewhere.

PPS. I could use security camera sprite (which has all or most of the rotations) and also I'd like to make a turret to my level but have no skills and time to do one from scratch. Is the sentry.zip for ZDoom etc (think I got it from realm667) the only one? I don't want a hovering one but just a chaingun kinda gun that's floor or ceiling mounted and has the rotations. It's pretty close but just doesn't feel quite right and doesn't leave much stuff for me to do (had to clean up the explosions when converting to Doom palette and should frankensprite some dying frames).

9 minutes ago, poisonhead said:

Is there a proper list of which sound belongs to which monster/dehacked thing?

I think mostly everything should be here; there's a table further down the page, including detailing the sound lumps for each code pointer that uses one.

I was looking at the revenant fireball and I guess it shares some graphic and sound assets with other things? (or am I wrong?)

I think that the only reused asset would be DBAREXP, for when the missile collides with something.

Thank you Guff dotD but can anyone answer my main question? To ask it again (a bit sober, maybe?): Do sprite graphic sizes matter? If my enemy is 20x20 as its smallest and 60x50 as its biggest etc, its size varies, so are there any downsides if I keep all frames the same size as the biggest one? Instead of ranging from 20x20 to 60x50 (fictive numbers) and I having to also adjust the center in wad editor if every frame is 60x50 pixels are there any downsides? It's just that _every_ enemy I've seen has had varied frame sizes, even to ports like ZDoom. Surely a kilobyte or two don't matter these days so why do people still keep sprite images cropped to as small as possible? Are there _any_ advantages? Do the extra transparent pixels eat up memory/resources of even vanilla Doom? Or will they not work?

I also ran into another problem! I started replacing wolfenstein dude graphics but realized he doesn't have firing frames for any other directions than straight at the player, can this be overcome somehow (in vanilla/dehacked kinda way) or will I have to abort and replace some other enemy?

Also yet another really stupid question. I've mostly dealth with textures and every place has been touting to remember to use the power of 2 sizes, I guess these don't apply to sprites? So I can safely have any sizes like I could have my current sprite as 59x50 without issues instead of having 60x50 sprite with one transparent line? But suppose I already had that 60x50 pixel sprite so is there any advantages to cropping the vertical one pixel wide transparent line? (basically back to my first question :) )

Thank you and sorry for having a broken head. I'm ashamed of what messes my posts are. I wish these would be deleted if and when I get the answer(s).

Edited by poisonhead

To answer your main question: no, there is no significant downside. The extra blank space around your sprites has little to no cost in modern source ports, and in the use case you're describing I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact it's common in sprite mods like SmoothDoom to add blank transparent spaces to sprites so that they mirror correctly. Don't sweat it.

Edited by Nootrac4571

23 hours ago, Nootrac4571 said:

To answer your main question: no, there is no significant downside. The extra blank space around your sprites has little to no cost in modern source ports, and in the use case you're describing I wouldn't worry about it.

In fact it's common in sprite mods like SmoothDoom to add blank transparent spaces to sprites so that they mirror correctly. Don't sweat it.

Thank you! Really good to know :)

I've got a new problem, math is probably my worst subject and I'm trying to sync up sounds to my sprite modification, how (and what's the best way) do I convert milliseconds to Doom tics or vice versa? How many ms is 6 tics, 9 tics or 12 tics etc? Found it weird I found nothing in google, wonder did I type the wrong words or am I the first whose too stupid to figure this out on my own. I'd really appreciate little help. I'm good at creating and editing audio, would just love to know how long to cut the samples.

On mercredi 22 mars 2023 at 2:27 AM, poisonhead said:

Is there a proper list of which sound belongs to which monster/dehacked thing?

A list of sound with their description can be found here.

10 hours ago, poisonhead said:

I've got a new problem, math is probably my worst subject and I'm trying to sync up sounds to my sprite modification, how (and what's the best way) do I convert milliseconds to Doom tics or vice versa?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Tic

10 hours ago, poisonhead said:

Found it weird I found nothing in google, wonder did I type the wrong words or am I the first whose too stupid to figure this out on my own.

It helps if you restrict by site. E.g. searching for "tic site:doomwiki.org" instead of just "tic" will give you more relevant results.