Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeachThunder

[UPDATE: Version 2.1 /idgames] You Have 1 HP - GZDoom 32-level mini-megawad

Thank you very much! I was always looking for this kind of challenge!

I have played through the third of the mapset, and it is great! A fair challenge, the maps look nice, and I really like the use of GZDoom abilities. Also, I appreciate that the maps are short, for some reason I don't feel too stressed when stuck in a map, knowing that they're quick in nature.

Spoiler

I especially liked the '?' and ''Downfall", the former for the Superliminal-like labyrinth, and the latter for the verticality and the challenge of keeping up with the ammo count in the process.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:22 AM, UltimateDecaf said:

I have played through the third of the mapset, and it is great! A fair challenge, the maps look nice, and I really like the use of GZDoom abilities. Also, I appreciate that the maps are short, for some reason I don't feel too stressed when stuck in a map, knowing that they're quick in nature.

Reveal hidden contents

I especially liked the '?' and ''Downfall", the former for the Superliminal-like labyrinth, and the latter for the verticality and the challenge of keeping up with the ammo count in the process.

Played through the entire thing: this is so much fun! The challenges were doable, and I really liked the attention to details. Solid work!

Glad to hear you enjoyed playing through it :D

14 hours ago, UltimateDecaf said:

I really liked the attention to details. Solid work!

Thanks, I spent a long time working on detailing.

38 minutes ago, TheShep said:

I played it tonight, great stuff!

I am so happy that you played it! I hope that more people will enjoy this cool levelset:)

8 hours ago, TheShep said:

I played it tonight, great stuff!

Thanks for playing! I know you didn't seem like the biggest fan of it, but I really appreciate the playthrough!

If I make another thing like this in the future, I'll try to make it less of an RNG festival.

Just finished it in normal mode. I had a blast. It was very fun and lot of surprising gimmicks. The only level I had trouble with was map 26, the one with a BFG, lots of hitscanners and a Archvile. I just retried 40/50 times until RNG aligned and I was super lucky to not die in the first second. I'm not sure what the intended solution for this map is. Other than that, it was really fun. Thank you for this cool idea.

21 hours ago, Shawn said:

Just finished it in normal mode. I had a blast. It was very fun and lot of surprising gimmicks. The only level I had trouble with was map 26, the one with a BFG, lots of hitscanners and a Archvile. I just retried 40/50 times until RNG aligned and I was super lucky to not die in the first second. I'm not sure what the intended solution for this map is. Other than that, it was really fun. Thank you for this cool idea.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

You can usually kill all the hitscanners if you aim at either the 2nd or 3rd columns.

I had a good time with this one. I beat it on Hard difficulty. I didn't expect the low ammo cap on the shotgun going in but it definitely prevented me from cheesing two fights.

Spoiler

The fist fight with a revenant was my favorite part. "Hi, I'm Doomguy and this is Jackass." I can't remember the last time I did that.

Were the RGB imps special or just for looks?

One part that I felt relied too much on RNG was when you have to kill 8 or so teleporting chaingunners in a row with the shotgun. Was there a trick to that? I died a lot because of the RNG damage that the shotgun deals combined with the RNG of them firing (and hitting or missing) before I could get off a second shot. I didn't save scum through it but I felt that I was missing some intended strategy somewhere. Maybe it's fairer on Normal difficulty?

On 4/29/2023 at 12:59 PM, Shawn said:

I managed to get that group kill nearly every time. The real problem was that I could get hit before the BFG blast went off. Maybe if I fired the projectile closer and then ran into position it would be safer.

2 hours ago, SquareEngine said:

Were the RGB imps special or just for looks?

Red has the most health, Green has the least, and Blue is in the middle.

2 hours ago, SquareEngine said:

One part that I felt relied too much on RNG was when you have to kill 8 or so teleporting chaingunners in a row with the shotgun. Was there a trick to that? I died a lot because of the RNG damage that the shotgun deals combined with the RNG of them firing (and hitting or missing) before I could get off a second shot. I didn't save scum through it but I felt that I was missing some intended strategy somewhere. Maybe it's fairer on Normal difficulty?

Slightly better on Normal. But yeah, definitely one of those levels where I got caught up on making the level and didn't focus enough on whether it was actually good.

I might make a few updates to some of the levels after I finish working on my RAMP level.

Anyway, thanks for playing!

I have no idea what to do for Rocket Man. Stuck on that level. Rocket jump? Doesn't seem to be able to get it to work for me. 

28 minutes ago, MaddenedK said:

I have no idea what to do for Rocket Man. Stuck on that level. Rocket jump? Doesn't seem to be able to get it to work for me. 

Mouselook needs to be enabled.

17 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

Mouselook needs to be enabled.

Yep I do have mouselook on but blasting the floor beneath me doesn't really lift me up much. Now I'm wondering if it's a compat issue. I'll try to mess around a bit more. Thanks! 

EDIT - Ah I had compatibility set to Boom. So it only works on Default compat. Should have checked that. Zzz. 

Edited by MaddenedK

Played through the entire wad on Normal. This is really great! Many nice challenges and very interesting ideas. Only a few levels that I did not like. Mostly the ones with the lost souls. :)

I also had the problem with the rocket jumping level. You should probably add as information, that comp level needs to be default.

@BeachThunder,

How to access M31 from M1? I didn't find any way to make the wall goes down, while jump is turned off, it seems.

The majority of levels are designed to take approximately 30 seconds to complete. Two skill levels.

With number of attemps several levels require... will be more for sure. Will record things on "Hard" later.

6 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

@BeachThunder,

Hide contents

How to access M31 from M1? I didn't find any way to make the wall goes down, while jump is turned off, it seems.

Spoiler

You don't need to jump. Just think - if the wall won't lower to you, maybe you can raise yourself to the wall.

So this what the light brown brick for. It's show the ~ specific place where you need to be, in case there is about 1 second to react here after no enemies remain.

Spoiler

Fun fact - I accidentally got to secret level 32 (meaining I didn't notice the secret exit and only found it unintentionally) and I literally went through ALL the options before finding the right one as the last switch I picked. I have on words and I have no idea how I managed to choose ALLLL the wrong options. Pissed me off so much I had to make this comment. 

Finally! After two solid months working on this, Version 2.0 is finally here!!

https://doomshack.org/uploads/YouHave1HP2point0.wad

I’ve spent hundreds of hours over the last two months applying what I’ve learned about Doom mapping since the original 1.0 release. I’m pretty sure I’ve spent longer on this update than I did on the original release. It started out as a small update where I was just going to make a handful of changes - but then I just kept working on it…and working on it…and working on it…

There’s 200+ changes in this update - a lot of small stuff, but also plenty of big gameplay changes and fixes, too. The main stuff:

• A lot of rebalancing, plus several levels receiving pretty big gameplay improvements.
  • Generally tried to make the differences between skill levels more pronounced - and all levels now have skill differences implemented.
  • A whole host of visual changes across all levels, ranging from texture alignment fixes to adding more detail to the geometry, to complete graphical overhauls of some levels.
  • The level order's been slightly rearranged so things hopefully flow better now.
  • There’s music now! Mephisto's Lament by @MFG38!
  • Many bugfixes, tweaks, general improvements…and…32 brains to find!

And, now for the very long full changelog:

Spoiler

General

• Added M_DOOM title image.
  • Used the Nightmare font and added confirmation for Hard to reinforce that Hard is hard.
  • Added music - Mephisto's Lament by @MFG38...and...also another music track...
  • Did some rearrangement of the level order:
    • MAP03 <> MAP04
    • 09 > 10 
    • 10 > 13 
    • 11 > 9
    • 12 <> 15
    • 13 > 14
    • 14 > 11
    • 18 <> 19
    • 23 > 25
    • 24 > 23
    • 25 > 24
    • Swapped the secret levels around.
  • Recorded 3 demos.
  • Reduced the default HP of lost souls (100 -> 80).
  • Reduced the default HP of cyberdemons (4000 -> 3650).
  • Changed a bunch of levels' par times.
  • Damaging floors are now more consistent and kill the player quicker.
  • Corrected a bunch of texture alignment issues.
  • Enforced software sector lighting.
  • Added sound environments.
  • Set IWAD to Doom 2 by default.
  • Slightly modified the palette.
  • Changed some border textures to better fit levels' aesthetics.
  • The map screen now uses a triangle-style arrow for the player (from @m8f's set of custom arrows).
  • Smoothed out some coding and made a lot of other miscellaneous minor changes.
  • Brains! 🧠

Specific level changes

Get Your Imps in a Row

• The intro sequence now also returns the player's pitch back to normal after picking up the super shotgun.
  • The intro sequence can now be skipped by pressing the use button.
  • Made sector where the exit podium arises more apparent.
  • Did a better job at blocking off the doorway, preventing players from unexpectedly getting caught in the entrance sector after they have already walked forward.
  • Modified restart message.
  • Made shadows slightly less dark.
  • Several other visual improvements.

Barons o' Fun

• Changed starting position and angle.
  • Made the back passage partially destroyed on Hard.
  • On Hard: removed all but one barrel that the barons can shoot.
  • Added a fence on Normal so players are blocked from falling into the slime around the back passage.
  • Corrected the height of a sector in the baron zone.
  • Added hazard stripes & a warning sign, added a ventilation duct, changed the bridge a bit, plus several other miscellaneous visual changes.

Who's That Demon?

• Randomised monster order.
  • Added a shelf for the guns.
  • Some big visual changes - specifically, the level is now very purpley and also more silhouettey.
  • The floor is slightly lighter now so that the player's current weapon is visible.
  • The shells that were supposed to only appear on Normal now actually only appear on Normal.

Look Out (previously Watch Out!)

• Renamed level.
  • On Normal, the imp will be alerted once the rocket launcher has been picked up.
  • Added some fleshiness, plus some other texture changes.
  • Made some improvements to the geometry.
  • Improved lighting around the candles and the giant eye.

Chainsaw Dance

• On Normal skill only, the cacodemons are semi-transparent, making it easier to see the location of the other one.
  • Slightly reduced cacodemon HP on Normal.
  • Players now have to fetch the chainsaw themselves (I mainly just hate starting levels with the chainsaw sound starting immediately).
  • Improved visuals - including more lighting contrast, adding in some fire, and raising the ceiling a bit.

?

• The imp now actively tries to avoid being attacked.
  • The imp now teleports upon being hit - meaning players cannot just trap the imp somewhere.
  • The level is a lot simpler now in terms of portal shenanigans. Previously, it could just end up a little too weird and messy.
  • Completely changed up the level's visuals.
  • Fixed incorrect geometry that caused misaligned textures.
  • After a while, a berserk pack spawns in on Normal.
  • Removed the imp's intro sequence randomisation.

Beware the Maclings!

• Changed the exit switch to use a regular podium instead of sliding up the wall.
  • Improved handling of scenarios where the manclings would not spawn properly.
  • Several aesthetic changes - particularly, adding background detailing and generally making things more orangey.

Slime Time

• Moved the chaingunner back a little so he can't unexpectedly snipe players while they're on the right side of the room.
  • Introduced slight delay to the length of time it takes for enemies to attack after first seeing the player.
  • Fixed possible exploit where enemies' weapons could drop down to where they could be picked up by the player.
  • Added some shotgun shells to Normal.
  • Made fist an available weapon.
  • Improved the slime overflow effect.
  • Fixed some slimy floors not properly dealing damage.
  • Several visual changes and fixes.

Mirage

• Changed weapon from the shotgun to the super shotgun - the level felt a bit too long-winded beforehand.
  • Removed five sets of shells from both skill levels, and four from Hard only.
  • Removed fake shotgun shell box, but added some new mirages…
  • Some aesthetic changes: adjusted the colours & textures, and added in a background pyramid.
  • Fixed rare exploit where players could actually pick up the BFG mirage. I added an extra check to make sure it can't be picked up.

Gravity Well (previously Downfall)

• Renamed level.
  • Changed the starting area a bit: Swapped the individual rockets out for a box of rockets, changed the lighting, and moved the player closer to the shaft.
  • Illuminated rockets / boxes of rockets in the shaft, making them a lot easier to see.
  • Changed the height of a few imp cages.
  • Slightly moved around some rockets to make the level flow better, also, added an extra rocket towards the bottom on Normal.
  • Two other rockets are now only available on Normal.
  • Added some warning textures, plus some other minor texture alterations 👀.

Fistfight

• Generally improved the level's geometry.
  • Changed a lot of texturing; including making the player's side all blue, the revenant's side red, and the dividing wall purple.
  • Significantly reduced likelihood that the revenant will fire a missile.
  • Placed the player's starting position closer to the switch.

Three Imp Rhumba

• Removed four clips on Normal, five on Hard - it was just way more ammo than anyone could ever need.
  • Blue and red imps are slightly larger and both have a bit more HP on both difficulties; all imps have an extra 10 HP on Hard.
  • Tried to make the level more graphically interesting by adding some vertical detailing.

Chaingunner Reaction (previously Chaingun Reaction)

• Renamed level to ChaingunnER Reaction - better implies that the level involves chaingunners, as opposed to a useable chaingun. Also, I think it sounds better.
  • Added delay to how long it takes for chaingunners to react to the player, but also made them spawn in slightly quicker on average.
  • Added several extra shotgun shells.
  • Set the exit podium's floor to become non-damaging once all enemies have been killed; it was too easy to unexpectedly step on lava before. Also, moved the podium a little bit back from the ledge.
  • Some visual changes: including adding support structures, better lava glow, and some impaled humans at the back of the room.

Rocket Man

• Fixed exploit where players could rocket up onto a thin bit of platform in front of the exit switch.
  • Visually indicated the level's concept more clearly with a crosshair on the ground.
  • Moved the second invulnerability sphere (only appears on Normal) into an alcove in the second-to-last rocketing room.
  • Added some more rockets.
  • Most of the level is now pitch black and only really viewable while using the invulnerability sphere.
  • Made a non-damaging sector damaging.
  • Improved the geometry of the sloped area.
  • Several texture changes - particularly in the exit zone.
  • Spruced up the starting area a little (with corpses!).

Teleporter Slaughter

• Left and right teleporters now link to each other now, instead of the middle sector.
  • The middle sector is now tinted red to indicate that it is connected to just the red teleporters.
  • Improved functionality of the teleporters, including adding invincibility frames.
  • Removed fist from inventory.
  • Removed one pinky on each difficulty level. And removed five sets of shotgun shells from Normal and four from Hard. I wanted to try to encourage the slaughtering of more enemies via the use of teleportation.
  • Altered geometry slightly and made several texture improvements.
  • Made shadows a little lighter and changed the colour grading.

Electric Blue (previously Four Corners)

• Renamed level.
  • Removed one lost soul from both skill levels, as well as one set of shells.
  • Exit podium now appears in the same location as the other podium - backtracking to the first room was a bit annoying and confusing.
  • The shotgun will automatically be switched to upon picking up shells if the player has both the chainsaw equipped & a shotgun with no shells.
  • Fixed a bunch of texture inconsistencies.
  • Moved some things around and made a bunch of other miscellaneous tweaks.

...So Do They

• Players now have a forcefield protecting them at the start of the level.
  • Added three extra cyberdemons on both difficulties. Plus two extra cyberdemons on Hard.
  • A handful of cosmetic changes.

Flooded Courtyard (previously Courtyard)

• Renamed level - I completely forgot there was already a Doom 2 level called that...whoops.
  • Flooded the courtyard...
  • Fixes & alterations to the geometry.
  • Swapped out zombiemen for pinkies (and a spectre - on Hard).
  • Added a bunch more ammo.
  • Exit podium now is within the central rock formation.

'O' of Death (previously In Circles)

• Renamed level.
  • Renamed level.
  • Fixed backpack so it actually now only spawns on Normal.
  • Removed three clips and six sets of shells from Hard.
  • Graphical changes: Made the level perimeter look more circular and changed some textures.

Cacofriends (previously Cacostorm)

• Renamed level.
  • Randomised order of the switches.
  • The cyberdemon now starts off farther away from the player, as well as facing the opposite direction on Normal.
  • Graphical changes: added in visible cacodemon portals and changed some textures.

Pinky Herder

• On Normal, pinkies cannot leave their pen once all of them are captured.
  • Players can now go out of the control room window whenever, (the wall above the button doesn't open up anymore). This relieves the frustration of trying to manoeuvre past the pinkies waiting at the bottom of the staircase.
  • Changed around the starting location of the pinkies. Each of the difficulties has their own pinky starting locations now.
  • Lights in the pinky pen now flash alongside the lights in the control room.
  • Fixed a softlock where players could rush upstairs fast enough to press the button while the door was still open, allowing a pinky to possibly escape while the crusher was in the process of crushing.
  • Tried to make the doors feel more responsive.
  • The switch no longer flashes red lights after the pinkies are dead.
  • Some visual changes and fixes.

Waggle Room

• Extruded the ceiling lights and recoloured/retextured the level.
  • Removed some ammo on both difficulties - it felt like it was way too much. Also, removed all individual ammo on Hard.
  • Swapped the plasma rifle for another chaingun on Hard.
  • Swapped the super shotgun for a regular shotgun on Hard.
  • Swapped the two pinkies for spectres on Hard.

Never Befriend a Cyberdemon

• Pinkies are now only on Normal. Spectres replace them on Hard.
  • Pinkies/spectres now prioritise attacking the cyberdemon over the player.
  • Rearranged pinkies/spectres and added one extra. Hard now has two more enemies than Normal.
  • Slightly enlarged the arena.
  • Changes to the level's visuals: including adding some stalactites, changing the textures, and making the floor's geometry more intricate.

Crowdsurfing

• Removed counter - that whole thing was a little too silly...
  • Players now have to retrieve a keycard (two on Hard) and return back instead of flipping a switch. This removes the softlock situation where players could immediately crush some revenants and then not be able to cross to the other side.
  • Front crusher is slightly larger now.
  • Changes to the level's visuals: including making front crusher get bloody after squishing revenants, adding some extra detailing to the stage area, and several texture and lighting changes.

Help is on its Way

• Removed berserk, moved super shotgun to the boat's main cockpit, added in some shells.
  • Removed one lost soul on Normal, and two on Hard.
  • Fixed issue where players could softlock by dropping off the boat via a non-blocking linedef.
  • Fixed lost souls being able to disappear off into an inaccessible area.
  • Slightly increased the size of the main island.
  • Many visual fixes and improvements - including completely remaking the mountain area and improving lighting.
  • ???

Turning Red

• On Normal, swapped the row of chaingunners with the row of zombiemen.
  • Removed fist as an available weapon.
  • On Normal, the hitscanner enemies take slightly longer to react after players start firing the BFG.
  • Changed some geometry bits - mainly, the BFG now lowered down to the player at the start of the level.
  • Fixed an issue by adding in an extra step.
  • Tried to improve visual communication in the first half of the level, plus other graphical changes/improvements.

Bring Your Daughter to Work Day

• Slightly lowered the HP of the spider mastermind on Normal.
  • Placed invisibility near spawn on Normal. On Hard, the invisibility is among the row of cell charges now. Previously, it was at the very back of the room, which could cause things to be impossible (or unacceptably difficult) on some seeds.
  • Changed the pickups at the back of the room to two plasma guns, two backpacks, and four cell charges on Normal (two cell charges on Hard) - previously it was just some ammo and one plasma gun.
  • Brightened up the exit podium to make it easier to spot - especially from the back of the room.
  • A bunch of slight visual improvements and fixes.

The Floor is Lava

• The exit switch now drops from the ceiling. This avoids the possibility of players stepping in lava as the switch rises, as well as making the switch immediately more visible once all enemies have been killed.
  • On Hard: switched the location of the rocket launcher & the plasma rifle.
  • Moved the final/BFG platform a bit closer to the others.
  • Switched around some items.
  • Added three extra small podiums - one for a cell charge pack, one for a backpack, and one for the chainsaw. Now all the weapons and ammo types are represented on the level.
  • Tried to reduce the amount of situations where the pain elemental can fail to spawn lost souls after dying.
  • Made level a lot more fiery.

Shut the Front Door

• Lengthened the cyberdemon's area and slightly shrunk the player's area. It should now be much easier to react to incoming rockets and to block them by shutting the door.
  • Cyberdemon now starts facing the doorway, so on Hard, getting the backpack is much riskier.
  • Added voodoo doll at the back on Hard skill; i.e. players will probably die if they let a cyberdemon rocket get past the door. On Normal, the alcove with the voodoo doll contains the backpack.
  • Changed the texture of the back wall in the cyberdemon’s room, and made it light up whenever a player rocket crosses over, making it much easier to tell when it's okay to close the door.
  • Changed starting location to give players a better view of their surroundings; added an extra rocket to where the old starting area used to be.
  • Changed around the ceiling texture and its geometry.
  • Changed the signage on the right to (hopefully) better indicate that dark side = closed and light side = open.
  • Improved lighting and contrast.

Gun Game

• Changed the mechanics to match traditional Counter Strike-esque Gun Game rules (and my RAMP2023 level (Map207)) - i.e. weapons now switch per kill, rather than after a set amount of time.
  • Monster types and locations have been completely changed.
  • A lot of redecorating.
  • Added a bit of a cutscene at the end.

Choose Wisely

• Changed the general aesthetics.
  • Players now start downstairs and then must take an elevator up to the main area. On Hard, the floor is damaging and players are given a rad suit - effectively creating a time limit to select the right switch.
  • Exit switch randomisation.
  • Fixed multi-texture switches so that all parts of the switch now change to the pressed state.
  • Replaced some switch gimmicks and slightly altered others.

DGPS

• Added extra plank of wood on Normal skill.
  • Neatened up the functioning of the skull locks; it's no longer possible to open a barrier if the previous barriers haven't been opened yet.
  • A bunch of graphical improvements and fixes.

Known issues/bugs

• Using the reset key will also reset the total play time counter.
  • I have tried to address a lot of the wonkiness of ? (MAP06), but it can still sometimes be a tiny bit wonky. But I guess that's just the nature of portals...
  • Flooded Courtyard (MAP18) can very occasionally cause some cosmetic oddities when dying, due to the way the level's coded.
  • I've done what I can to address this, but lost souls that should spawn after the pain elemental dies in The Floor is Lava (MAP28) occasionally don't spawn.

Thanks to @thelamp, @TheShep, and everyone else who played the original 1.0 version and gave feedback :) lemme know if there’s any new issues to iron out. I’m sure there are. (There always are…)

Version 2.x is now finalllly up on /idgames! The current version (2.1) makes a handful of minor changes, and has now been tested to work on the most recent GZDoom (4.11.1).

This is almost certainly the final final update - unless something drastic happens (like a future version of GZDoom causing everything to completely break or whatever...)