Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timmie

Any Metallica fans?

I would just like to take this moment to mention that Metallica has announced their new bassist: Rob Trujillo (of Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves fame).

http://www.metallica.com/

There is hope for this band yet ;)

as a metaller, I hate them, too. I laughed when I heard them go touring with linkin park and limp bizkit.

p.s. wtf? 23:30pm and an ambulance just went past my home...

metaillica....I hate them. I wnat them dead buch of sell out bithces

Why? Because they don't want people pirating their stuff? Seems there was a big backlash against them because of the whole Napster thing, but, quite frankly, I agree with them. As a professional programmer, I really don't like any sort of piracy. And no matter which way you cut it, using Napster/Kazaa/etc is piracy and is illegal (unless you already own the album, of course). It's not like I'd do anything if I did see anyone doing it, but I choose not to and I don't let my friends burn my CD's.

If you are just a disgruntled fan who was alienated after Load/Reload, then I can see your point, but I don't think they're sellouts. The Loads were actually decent albums, just not up to the same level as the previous albums. Personally, I have high hopes for this album because they've mentioned that they've gone back to their roots for it. Now, I'm not expecting a modern version of Master of Puppets, but there is a distinct lack of good metal (ie: not nu-metal) that I'd like to see filled.

niguel said:

as a metaller, I hate them, too. I laughed when I heard them go touring with linkin park and limp bizkit.

Haha, alright, you got me there... That tour is crap except for the Deftones!

Limp Bizkit... /laughs

I hate them cuz they went pop. Load, reload are not metal its poprock. The fact
that they want to tour with L.P. and Limp proves it. I grew up on them. Load and Reload were like a slap in the face. As for napster Lars just neads to shut up. He was the one being all pissy about it. Metallica didnet stick ot there guns. And they lost alot of fans becouse of it.

I dont particularly care much for Metallica anymore, I guess I just sort of grew out of it. But Suicidal Tendencies rocks.

It wasn't hard to "outgrow" Metallica since they went steadily downhill after Master of Puppets (not that everything after it sucked, but they gradually lost strength from then on.)

Their older stuff was good, but like some of you guys said, they seem to have only weak output now. It's too bad, but I think they won't ever be able to come back to their more -- dignified roots.

I used to love Metallica, but now I think they're only OK. Mind you, I haven't really been listening to anything of theirs lately. Still, I'm looking forward to their new album, should be pretty good.

All bands will sell out, sooner or later. It pretty much happened to every great band so far. They've all changed their styles over time, and so did Metallica. I think some of their new stuff is actually pretty good and their old stuff is fantastic.

timmie said:

I would just like to take this moment to mention that Metallica has announced their new bassist: Rob Trujillo (of Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves fame).

http://www.metallica.com/

There is hope for this band yet ;)

Yay hooray!

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Bah. People who call Metallica sellouts are stupid.

Amen.

Stealth Ivan said:

selloutica..... umm no they suck dick!!!

Die... Now...

After the Black alblum, Metallica kind of went downhill with only 3 or 4 good songs to a cd. But if you are talking bout anything from Kill Em All to the Black album was kickass.

P.S. Every single band will sell out, break up, or die eventually.

Joe Doom said:

After the Black alblum, Metallica kind of went downhill with only 3 or 4 good songs to a cd.

Hmm? The black album was the beginning of that trend, although Load and ReLoad pretty much put a stop to it. I haven't seriously listened to any of those in years though, although I ripped a load of singles from them recently.

Gah. People are stupid...they call a band sellouts if they change their style, but if they don't change their style they call them stale and repetitive...

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Gah. People are stupid...they call a band sellouts if they change their style, but if they don't change their style they call them stale and repetitive...

Exactly. If bands want to last longer than a year, they have to keep on developing fresh material. Metallica did just that - and from a musician's point of view, they have evolved musically. It is NOT selling out.

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
A-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,

If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

Exactly the song to quote in this context.

But I still agree on the notion that the later Metallica albums were weak. Also I can't stand James Hetfield's voice.

Who wrote it, Jack Vermeulen?

James is OK... his voice isn't bad. Lars is a fop though.

The song lyrics a pair of posts above is by Tool and is a reply to some "fan" who apparantly thought that they sold out after their first EP release.

It appears on the album Ænima and is entitled "Hooker with a Penis".

On the same album a telephoned tape message where some asshat stalker fan threatens to use black magic to make the band's family die of cancer. Played with soothing piano music as background.

Psyonisis said:

Exactly. If bands want to last longer than a year, they have to keep on developing fresh material.

Counter-example: Status Quo.

Of course, Metallica sells _less_ albums than they used too. To say they suck these days is fine, but to say the changes are a result of "selling out" is just plain inaccurate.

You do "Metallica", it sells fuckloads. You do "Load", it tanks. If money's your motivation, you don't come out with "Reload" ..

No, it's not like that. "Selling out" has nothing to do with how many records you sell. It's about the kinds of touring circuits you visit and the kind of deals you make with record labels. Thrash metal does not sell more than the type of music Metallica is doing now ("alternaltive metal") right now. Metallica's old stuff might have sold a lot in the past, but doing that now will not sell.

I have no idea if through selling records and advertising Metallica is making more money than before or not, but they have certainly changed their standards and means of dealing with the business in the past few years.