Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Somniac

[/idgames] Arrokoth - vanilla compatible Ultimate Doom episode

Beat the first two maps and they were lovely! Oozing classic vibes!

Will post bugs if I find any.

Also loving the PSX sounds and ambient soundtrack! I've always preferred the drony OST for KDITD episodes, not sure why.

5 hours ago, Zaratul said:

Nightdive created widescreen HUD for Arrokoth!

Do you not mean "Night Fright" there? :P

Or is Night Dive Studios involved somehow?

Beat this in just under an hour. Lighting in this episode is immaculate!

I just have one question - why are all weapon sounds from PSX Doom except the BFG? I know you get it for a very brief while, but still...

50 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It is indeed NightFright, the status bar looks sick! Its in the final release which is hopefully coming very soon.

4 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Beat this in just under an hour. Lighting in this episode is immaculate!

I just have one question - why are all weapon sounds from PSX Doom except the BFG? I know you get it for a very brief while, but still...

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty selective about custom sounds as I know not everyone digs them, I guess I forgot about the BFG :p it was more like a sprinkling of PSX sounds to add to the atmosphere, plus that Plasma Rifle sound is too good not to use!

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

My bad, ofc its NightFright like Somniac said. :)

Just now, Zaratul said:

My bad, ofc its NightFright like Somniac said. :)

For a second, I thought Night Dive was not only involved in remastering Classic Doom, but had picked Arrokoth as an official add-on! :P

Pleased to announce this is now on /idgames!

Thank you to all who gave feedback, playthroughs and pointed out bugs that needed fixing.

Nice!

But you seem to have somehow removed/forgotten to put a teleporter line inside a monster spawning room in the north-west corner of the map, as it does not seem possible to get 100% kills right now.

16 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Nice!

But you seem to have somehow removed/forgotten to put a teleporter line inside a monster spawning room in the north-west corner of the map, as it does not seem possible to get 100% kills right now.

It seems you're referring to sectors 147, 143 and 140. There's a demon and two imps that are supposed to spawn in after getting the red keycard. However, only the demon is able to teleport in due to line 656 being a W1 teleport action instead of a WR teleport, leaving the other two imps stuck in that sector.

57 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Nice!

E1M1 right? Dammit! Thanks for pointing this out. I moved those Imps to make the ambush a bit better and totally spaced on the repeatable action. A hotfix will be uploaded as soon as I can!

edit: upon doing a sanity check, I've discovered some issues with other joined sectors. Combing through everything now! 

Edited by Somniac

Hey, it is cool. ;)

Anyway, I play through the whole thing now that it is released and it was quite good: there are some nice visuals and neat subtle environmental storytelling, the difficulty was challenging but never frustrating, the ammo placement felt balanced and the Aubrey Hodges sound effects were most welcome. The weakest aspect would be the soundtrack: it is serviceable and never unpleasant to listen to, but it just did not stay with me.

All in all, an enjoyable mapset! If you end up making Episodes 2, 3 and 4 replacements, I am down with playing them as well!

56 minutes ago, Revved said:

It seems you're referring to sectors 147, 143 and 140.

One day, I will have to learn how to use and understand the Doom level editor. It makes providing feedback so much easier!

2 hours ago, Somniac said:

edit: upon doing a sanity check, I've discovered some issues with other joined sectors. Combing through everything now! 

If you're going to update anyway, I'll mention this really picky thing I noticed. In E1M3, sector #179/182 has grey CRATELIT sides and a brown CRATOP2 top. Since you could land on it from the platform, I thought it was a hint to a secret. Isn't. Should be grey CRATOP1.

Edit: also, ZDoom doesn't recognize UMAPINFO, so level names don't show up on the automap. Need to add them to Dehacked or add a MAPINFO.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Edit: also, ZDoom doesn't recognize UMAPINFO, so level names don't show up on the automap. Need to add them to Dehacked or add a MAPINFO.

The latest release does come with a .deh file.

The .deh file does not contain the level names. It is already included inside the wad, and I assume the separate .deh file is for loading it through command lines in Chocolate Doom or even something more purist than that like running Arrokoth on DOSBox with the dehacked lump.

Hope this doesn't come across as nasty, but I don't understand why you would use ZDoom when GZDoom has UMAPINFO support. I just tested the level names in GZ and they are perfectly fine. The only small issue I encountered was that the "next level" command in GZDoom does not follow the intended progression (1-2-3-9-4-5-6-7-8), but instead jumps straight from E1M3 to E1M4. You can, of course, still warp manually to E1M9 if you want.

Alternatively, if performance is the problem, DSDA-Doom is a great replacement. Generally speaking, though, if you want the features and feel of ZDoom, running this in GZ shouldn't have any impact on performance since Arrokoth is vanilla compatible and its levels are quite compact.

On E1M3 you can actually open the red door at the starting point without the red key. Not sure if this was intended, the room after it has two other doors that require keys but I presume you need the red key to even enter this room in the first place.

I'm a sucker for E1 replacements and this is one of the coolest UD episodes I've ever played. Played it once through in DOSBox and another in GZDoom with a few subtle mods for blood and other effects. Don't hate me but I did end up removing the Doom 64 sound effects, but the overall setting and moody lighting really made for a wonderful time. Being vanilla compatible and actually being able to save without crashing is such a nice thing; though I did get it to crash, but only when warping to e1m9, and only when warping from an even numbered map for some reason.

5 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I'm a sucker for E1 replacements and this is one of the coolest UD episodes I've ever played. Played it once through in DOSBox and another in GZDoom with a few subtle mods for blood and other effects. Don't hate me but I did end up removing the Doom 64 sound effects, but the overall setting and moody lighting really made for a wonderful time. Being vanilla compatible and actually being able to save without crashing is such a nice thing; though I did get it to crash, but only when warping to e1m9, and only when warping from an even numbered map for some reason.

Hey, can you give me more details about the crash, such as the source port you're using? I tried reproducing it in GZDoom, DSDA and Eternity but had no luck. I guess I could have another look at the UMAPINFO.

EDIT: I've remade the UMAPINFO from scratch using JadingTsunami's tool and attached it here. Just open the wad in slade, delete the old UMAPINFO, copy the one into the archive, and save. Let me know if you still encounter the crash.

UMAPINFO_v3.rar

Edited by DreadWanderer

2 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

Hey, can you give me more details about the crash, such as the source port you're using? I tried reproducing it in GZDoom, DSDA and Eternity but had no luck. I guess I could have another look at the UMAPINFO.

Ah sorry, it was while using DOSBox Staging, and the error message is Z_CheckHeap: block size does not touch the next block, so the secret map likely just has linedefs with no sector attached. I imagine that true vanilla compatibility is lower priority anyhow, and the wad is still perfectly vanilla compatible without level warping.

2 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Ah sorry, it was while using DOSBox Staging, and the error message is Z_CheckHeap: block size does not touch the next block, so the secret map likely just has linedefs with no sector attached. I imagine that true vanilla compatibility is lower priority anyhow, and the wad is still perfectly vanilla compatible without level warping.

I see, thanks for the extra info. I'm afraid I can't help you with that since I don't know that much about "pure" vanilla experiences through DOSBox. Might be worth googling the exact error and searching around the Doomworld forums for possible solutions. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Yeah no I wouldn't even consider it an issue that requires a solution and meant it more as a compliment; the only way I got it to crash while emulating DOS was to use the level warp cheat, meaning that it's fully playable from start to finish using the ultimate doom exe in DOS with quick saving, which is great.

Hey! So first of all, thank you all for the additional comments and bug reports. These have been noted and squashed to the best of my knowledge. I just ran through the entire episode in DOSBox making notes of any additional things I came across, and spent the last hour tying up every loose end I could find at this time. A mildly embarrassing false start for me, but I only have myself to blame for my lack of thoroughness here :p so I'm grateful for the observations!

A handful of errors have been fixed, I've checked all joined sectors, E1M3 red door (no idea how I missed that one, omg) teleport lines and *touch wood* everything is pretty much sorted. I'll most likely run through the whole thing again later today just to be extra sure. 

3 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I imagine that true vanilla compatibility is lower priority anyhow, and the wad is still perfectly vanilla compatible without level warping.

The original goal was for this to be truly vanilla-compatible, however this is the first time I've tried anything like that. The lack of savegame overflows is, if anything, a happy accident :p and probably due to the small size of the maps anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed it though, thanks for the kind words! The E1M9 thing might have been caused by converting a MUS to MIDI. Just checked warping to that map from E1M2 and it seems to be fine.

I have temporarily removed the idgames link in the OP and replaced it w/ a dropbox link with the latest version. I'm gonna leave it like that for a couple of days incase anyone else finds any issue to report. One of these days, I'll get it all right first time ;) 

Thanks for this Somniac. Can I suggest you include the most recent UMAPINFO for the idgames upload? I forgot to say that v3 includes the level name images for the intermission screen, plus a correction to the title of E1M4 from "Shuttlebay" to "Shuttle Bay" to make it consistent with the associated image.

A couple more softlocks I should point out.

In E1M9, you can get softlocked in the secret area if you open the door back into the main area but wait until it closes. Sector 44,  line 417 is tagged as S1 when it should be SR.

Similarly, in E1M6, both teleports to the two big arenas are also tagged as W1 instead of WR (linedefs 433 and 1839), meaning you can get softlocked if you happen to lineskip one of the teleports.

I have included a failed UV Max demo which makes it all the way to E1M6 but ends up an aborted attempt due to said softlock.

aromaxfail.zip

Hi, great set of atmospheric, fun, breezy maps you've got here.

Spoiler

I did run into a softlock on e1m6, I triggered the beginning lift but immediately hopped off, couldn't find any way to lower it.

doom00.png.f0689424eb93fe33a0505ffb37cc78cf.png

Also on e1m7 I accidentally grabbed the berserk by bumping into the wall, 

doom01.png.9dab90b8186817e7a575254cd449974e.png

On 4/5/2023 at 8:16 PM, Somniac said:

E1M4 - Shuttle Bay - MIDI by Jared Boyce

Is misspelled Shuttlebay in UMAPINFO.