Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chlwnstj302

First off (Single Map, DOOM II)

firstoff.zip

Hi. It's my first wad ever made. advices are always welcome.
Tested on GZDoom v4.10.0.

IWAD: DOOM 2

Freelook: NO
Jump/Crouch: NO

Software or Hardware rendering: Software

1325559246__2023_04_07_15_00_11_877.png.3faf30055d4495c28a45de053ed5b801.png2138360652__2023_04_07_15_01_06_504.png.249a53fc5486921f206e2ea526770dc2.png191964458__2023_04_07_15_01_25_540.png.9e145fd3740922d3a6536d2416f5fee3.png

Been a while since I've done this! There's no commentary in the video (I do the playtests with no commentary to give the sense of gameplay first) 

Here are some comments:

Overall it's an okay map, quite impressive if you just began mapping I might add, even as simple as making a door in Doom Builder was tricky to me at first (when I used to map_. The overall layout is a bit too symmetrical, maybe I'd add some height and space in the Spider Demon portion, make it more arena-like. The use of different textures may also benefit from this level because the same green color with the brownish tones can make a map look somewhat dated (This was usually the case old beginner maps from the 90s-00s)!

Here are some suggestions!  

-Next time, add secrets that could make the level a bit more interesting!, I recommend thinking of a secret on the pit-side of the level, like a secret passage, take inspiration from the earlier maps of Doom 1 (Knee Deep in the Dead)

-I feel like small health packs need to be evenly distributed , maybe balance it out by adding/reducing enemies. 

-Definitely up the challenge in getting the keycards, Its a bit too easy to acquire them, definitely also take inspiration from Episode 1 of Doom 1 where you can set booby traps (like a door of imps open if you get the red key) or something similar, to pace the game properly

Overall, its a good beginner map and let these comments encourage you to revise this map and make more!

7 minutes ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

Been a while since I've done this! There's no commentary in the video (I do the playtests with no commentary to give the sense of gameplay first) 

Here are some comments:

Overall it's an okay map, quite impressive if you just began mapping I might add, even as simple as making a door in Doom Builder was tricky to me at first (when I used to map_. The overall layout is a bit too symmetrical, maybe I'd add some height and space in the Spider Demon portion, make it more arena-like. The use of different textures may also benefit from this level because the same green color with the brownish tones can make a map look somewhat dated (This was usually the case old beginner maps from the 90s-00s)!

Here are some suggestions!  

-Next time, add secrets that could make the level a bit more interesting!, I recommend thinking of a secret on the pit-side of the level, like a secret passage, take inspiration from the earlier maps of Doom 1 (Knee Deep in the Dead)

-I feel like small health packs need to be evenly distributed , maybe balance it out by adding/reducing enemies. 

-Definitely up the challenge in getting the keycards, Its a bit too easy to acquire them, definitely also take inspiration from Episode 1 of Doom 1 where you can set booby traps (like a door of imps open if you get the red key) or something similar, to pace the game properly

Overall, its a good beginner map and let these comments encourage you to revise this map and make more!

Thanks for playing my map. I'll add some health packs and secrets and complicate the map to get keycards.

Hey, I have a few things:

• Do make sure to put the coloured key indicators around doors, I got a little lost trying to figure out which doors I needed to go through! You can find them quickly by searching "DOOR".
  • Funnily enough I learned this recently too with my first map - make sure it's really easy to see the keys, I know it's just around the box but I couldn't find it the first time and I left the area looking for it.
  • A minor thing but being able to get those chainguns dropped by the chaingunners over the chasm would be nice.
  • There's that grey door with a misaligned texture, big doors are always 128 units in length and small ones are 64 units.

I like the mixing the tech stuff with the hell marble, it was like a spider mastermind base, pretty cool. Best of luck with your mapping!

7 hours ago, OneMagpie said:

Hey, I have a few things:

• Do make sure to put the coloured key indicators around doors, I got a little lost trying to figure out which doors I needed to go through! You can find them quickly by searching "DOOR".
  • Funnily enough I learned this recently too with my first map - make sure it's really easy to see the keys, I know it's just around the box but I couldn't find it the first time and I left the area looking for it.
  • A minor thing but being able to get those chainguns dropped by the chaingunners over the chasm would be nice.
  • There's that grey door with a misaligned texture, big doors are always 128 units in length and small ones are 64 units.

I like the mixing the tech stuff with the hell marble, it was like a spider mastermind base, pretty cool. Best of luck with your mapping!

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll refer to it the next wad.

Played in GZDooM version 4.8.2 [It's my preferred port to play with]. I'm trying to be a bit more active in playtesting stuff [and vocal, I'm rather anxious a poster], so here's my feedback and whatnot. 

Experience Sum Up:
The map's really short and even if we account for very first map here. It's too short to really make much of a comment on it. There's enough resources to single-segment it, max it and all that here. Encounters are trivial, it's inoffensive. 

Improvement Suggestions:
I don't know what I could suggest here, as it's obviously early days. I guess, just keep making more or try and extend this one with some new rooms and encounters.

========================================

Rating: Play [If you want a warm-up level]
Hope you got something out of this. Bye for now.

For a first map this is decent enough. Couple of quick suggestions:

-Not all enemies should be directly in front of the player, combat is more interesting when player is potentially threatened from different sides. You don't necessarily have to make any crazy combat setups, just an ambushing imp or a demon placed in some corner would make it less predictable.

-Try to experiment with varying lighting levels. This alone would vastly improve the visual quality of your level. If you need ideas how to do this then just play Episode 1 of Doom.

Edit: I hope you don't mind, but as a demonstration I made few quick changes to the starting room.

Base Profile Screenshot 2023.04.18 - 18.39.10.24.png

Edited by JJBoren