Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dingus Khan

Editing questions from a dingus.

I've started editing pretty recently and Wadauthor's Help file doesnt answer all of my questions. I knew I would have more than one question over time, so i've made a thread for all my questions (hence the title). Onto the question of the day...

In a particular sector of a map i'm designing there is a raised floor. The ceiling above this floor is lowered slightly from the norm, making it a sector overlapping the floor sector. The area of the ceiling directly above the area of raised floor is doing that wonderful mirror thing. There is a texture for this spot, yet it goes into "ultra-hell-mode" and mirrors on me. How do I fix this?

It's a bit difficult to picture what you are describing. I still have a few suggestions though. First of all make sure that the sector is closed. Also for the linedefs of that particular sector make sure you have an above and below texture selected for both front and back sidedefs. If that doesn't help, could you post a screenshot of the problem or the actual WAD file perhaps?

And remember to tell Epyo how cool he is after he fixes it :P

Yes, very awesome indeed is Epyo, curer of editing problems worldwide...or should i say doomworldwide...

heh, there's a lot of error's here, and I'll try to explain them all, and how to fix them. (Just give me some time :)

your first problem is that many of your sectors are not closed. What does that mean? well, here's a picture of one of your sectors...

http://members.cox.net/epyo/MARSY.png

see in the top left corner how the sector is left wide open? This is what it looks like in the game. Yeah that's a problem, and there's more of those all over your map.

Now how can you fix them? It's always different. Maybe one of the lines the sector is made of isn't refrencing the right sectors. Maybe a line is facing the wrong way. Now I'm not sure what to do in WadAuthor, (I'm no WadAuthor expert), but in Deepsea, I just deleted the line, and drew it again.
---
Anyway, I gotta hurry and go on the another error. The lines of the desk are missing upper textures. Assign textures to these lines to fix the error. Easy!
---
I should be in bed now, but anyway, next error! In front of the desk there's that big long sector. The frontside lower textures of that sector's lines are labeled "Compble", which doesn't exist. I believe you meant to put, "Compblue"?
---
Next up, in the back-right corner of the center hallway, right next to the door, there's a line that is tagged neither impassible, nor 2-sided. Make sure you change that to impassible.
---
That's all I can see right now, but I'm sure there's more stuff floating around waiting to be fixed. I know I was a little vague on how to fix the open sectors, but that's because it's a problem I never faced while I started. Hopefully, someone else will help where I couldn't.
Anyway, I hope I helped just a little bit!

Epyo said:

Hopefully, someone else will help where I couldn't.

Send me your wad to cyrez@prodigy.net and i will look it over and walk you through fixing it in WadAuthor so you will be prepaired next time.

Epyo said:

You meant Khan's wad right?
Well, if it's ok with Khan, I'll send it over...

got it, thanks Epyo. looking it over now.

Dingus Khan

Ok first of hit check map. then hit fix all. this will fix everything for you but the 4 dup vertacies and the 3 unclosed secters.
next zoom in and and hit check map again. then select the first vert error and hit view. it will highlite. select it and move it a bit to the side and then back.
it should ask if you want to join objects, say yes. this will get rid of the dup. do this for the other 3 and that part is fixed.

now for the unclosed sectors.

hit check map and select secter 6 and hit view. you will need to zoom out as to see the whole map. when you hit view one of the lines is not highlited zoom in on it and double click it, select the back side, now set its sector refrance to 5. that will fix that one.

the next 2 sector problems are to complex for me to explain. but as a rule you should not need a lindef split 12 times per wall :/ unless your conecting other sectors to it this is what caused part of your problem. to avoid this when you split a line make sur just the line you want to split is selected and not the whole sector.

i can fix the wad for you just give me about 20 min.

I would like to thank all of you very much for helping me out with my editing problems, because you guys are awesome. So thank you muchly.

Epyo said:

cool. Can I clear out my webspace now? good.

No, we would all miss you to much :)

LMAO, sorry Epyo, I was on the phone when I read that. I misunderstood your meaning. please ignore last post.

I've finally gotten around to question number 2. It is: How do you make hub based levels? When I say hub based I dont mean like the hubs in Hexen, but the ones in Strife. Of course Strife (assumption) used a modified engine...but i'm sure it's possible with the ports out there.

Dingus Khan said:

How do you make hub based levels? When I say hub based I dont mean like the hubs in Hexen, but the ones in Strife. Of course Strife (assumption) used a modified engine...but i'm sure it's possible with the ports out there.

Actually, the hubs in Strife are very much like the hubs in Hexen. (Just for information, what do you think the differences are between the hub structures of the two games?)

ZDooM is the source port most commonly used to create hub structures for DooM.

I was going to answer your question with how Hexen uses portals and strife uses doors as links between the other sections of the hub. It also just occured to me a few minutes ago that the doors in strife are pretty much the same as those portals in Hexen. They just have different textures.

ZDoom supports it, but how do I make a hub using an editor?

First, learn to use the MAPINFO lump. It's a lump used in ZDooM wads to tell ZDooM level names, and other configurations, like assigning a hub. For MORE information on making a MAPINFO lump, copy off someone else's MAPINFO lump.

Now in your maps, when you want your level to go to another level in a hub, use the "Teleport map" special.j

Yes, a really great hub example can be found in Epyo's Captain Mancubus (linked in his sig), which is actually where I learned to do hubs, and it's good fun to boot (except for those damned hidden bookshelf doors). Essentially in your mapinfo you want something like this

defaultmap

map map01 "First HUB Map!!"
music d_runnin
sky1 sky1 0.0
cluster 1

map map02 "THE SECOND HUB MAP!!"
music d_romero
sky1 sky3 0.0
cluster 1

clusterdef 1
hub
flat CEIL5_2
exittext
"Oh gn0, you left the HUB senior!!"
Then, on map01 you have a Teleport_Map(2, 0) line and on map02 you have a Teleport_Map(1, 0) line and you can flip back and fourth. The second arg is the arg each player start has so you can actually have the player enter a map from another map at a number of different spots depending on the linedef he crosses.

ps: I'm not quite sure why I upper cased hub, I don't think it actually stands for anything.