Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
No-Man Baugh

Any Duke 3D mods where you can Save The Babes?™

Any mods out there that let you rescue all those trapped women across the game ala Duke 64? (I'm not picky on sourceport exclusivity [except for Randy's World Tour])

I've been going thru Duke 3D for the first time in a long time, and I've come to find that I'm in the camp of people who think it's really weird and fucked up that the only way you can interact with them is either to kill them, leave them be, or to press the use key to hear them say "kill me" (which I guess makes it okay to kill them? and there are multiple parts in the game where you inevitably have to kill them yourself like in E1L6: Launch Facility or that one room in E3L1: Raw Meat; but it's still damn weird)

I know I could just play Duke 64 via RedDuke, but I'm not that bothered by it and am moreso curious if there's a minor mod out there that otherwise keeps things vanilla (not to say that I'm opposed to getting map and TC recommendations)

16 minutes ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

This looks interesting, save a babe and increase your health.

Damn! I was just going to suggest playing Duke Nukem 64 instead... :o

14 minutes ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

This looks interesting, save a babe and increase your health.

HELL YEAH This is exactly what I was looking for, the health bonus is a bit much (saving babes is the reward in and of itself) but seems like I could easilly fork it to my own liking. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

You do realize this is Doomworld, right?

eh, to lazy to make a Duke4 account

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

The "everything else" section of Doomworld? What did you expect?

10 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

eh, to lazy to make a Duke4 account

I hear it is not quite as wholesome as a place as Doomworld anyway.

Wholesome request, infinitely confused on why Land of The Babes and Manhattan Project are the only games where you actually save them (and I guess in the Doctor Who Cloned Me, but who gives a shit about that).

But also you are all cowards and should make Duke4 accounts.

I love the idea of that mod Chow Yun Thin linked. If you could tip the strippers once THEN have them get saved the second time, that would be even better. I also agree the health bonus of 20 is too much, maybe 10 would be more reasonable. Not being able to save them was one thing in the game that I really didn't like as a youngn, cool to see a mod for it!

I also use the mod that was linked (with the health bonus removed, easy to do.) It's a nice little tool. Though while I do have a Duke4 account, I post rarely in there as the culture there is... not great.

2 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Wholesome request, infinitely confused on why Land of The Babes and Manhattan Project are the only games where you actually save them (and I guess in the Doctor Who Cloned Me, but who gives a shit about that).

But also you are all cowards and should make Duke4 accounts.

Duke Nukem 64 and Zero Hour both have babes to save.

Edited by june gloom

13 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Yes, as in "Damn, these babes are doomed in this world, man! I gotta save 'em now!"

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I also agree the health bonus of 20 is too much, maybe 10 would be more reasonable.

There's a badass in the itch page's comments that made a fork where they lowered the health bonus to 5 and added a Babes Rescued count on the tally screen:

https://itch.io/post/6962505

Not being able to save them was one thing in the game that I really didn't like as a youngn, cool to see a mod for it!

same. before I got my hands on Duke 3D I watched LGR's review on Nuclear Winter, in it he complained that you could kill some christmas carolers as Duke remarks on how annoying they are. I didn't even think that you could do the same with other npcs and image my shock when I found out you could just kill the trapped babes and even innocent strippers!

(I should mention that Clint later clarified in the comments that it's the remark that annoyed him, as in the main game he goes "Damn" whenever he kills a human)

I blame Randy

54 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

There's a badass in the itch page's comments that made a fork where they lowered the health bonus to 5 and added a Babes Rescued count on the tally screen:

https://itch.io/post/6962505

same. before I got my hands on Duke 3D I watched LGR's review on Nuclear Winter, in it he complained that you could kill some christmas carolers as Duke remarks on how annoying they are. I didn't even think that you could do the same with other npcs and image my shock when I found out you could just kill the trapped babes and even innocent strippers!

(I should mention that Clint later clarified in the comments that it's the remark that annoyed him, as in the main game he goes "Damn" whenever he kills a human)

I blame Randy

Randy has nothing to do with Nuclear Winter. It was authored by Simply Silly Software, who also dubiously made Duke!Zone and Duke!Zone 2.

(As an added bonus, these devs were former members of the Doom community, having previously left their mark having made Xmas Doom and H2H-XMAS.WAD. Then they would move on and make D!Zone and H!Zone for Heretic.)

3 hours ago, june gloom said:

Duke Nukem 64 and Zero Hour both have babes to save.

You're not wrong, I always forget about those two (which I shouldn't really, they're probably the better games in the series. Zero Hour certainly beats the PSX titles at least).

Duke 64 is definitely the better console port of the era compared to PSX/Saturn. And while Time To Kill has a lot of good fun to be had, Zero Hour is unquestionably the better game (and, Palutena willing, we may be seeing a port of it to PC as it improbably runs on the Build engine.)

1 minute ago, mrthejoshmon said:

You're not wrong, I always forget about those two (which I shouldn't really, they're probably the better games in the series. Zero Hour certainly beats the PSX titles at least).

I have yet to play any of them and I get the feeling I would not enjoy them, but I do like Zero Hour's soundtrack.

Three years ago, I had the same query.

23 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

Randy has nothing to do with Nuclear Winter. It was authored by Simply Silly Software, who also dubiously made Duke!Zone and Duke!Zone 2.

And Extreme Paintbrawl! The studio renamed itself from Simply Silly to Creative Carnage, but it was the same people.

23 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

As an added bonus, these devs were former members of the Doom community

Yep, this enshrined their presence on the One True Doom Wiki.