Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3ryuki.l

OLd School Dnb Or DubStep

I thought the premise was going to be just discussing the old iterations of both rather than pitting them against eachother.

I'm quite fond of the recent wave where people have rediscovered 90's Jungle/DnB and are producing new material in the same style, often paired with Y2K-adjacent imagery or PS1/N64 box art aesthetics

I'm the likes for the style of breakcore with touch of DnB for myself, feel like there´s a good way to stop and iniciate the rythm again that just activate my mind.

If you're a millennial like me, you heard DnB on countless game soundtracks growing up. I've always liked it because of that! 

Some proper ancient dubs for ye:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

dnb is more of an ambient genre meant to go along with something Kind of like classical, dub step on the other hand is a genre much more orineted on what's happening in the song, so the clear answer is HYPERPOP That it depends 

Edited by amnion : I called dnb breakcore

I can like both. I think I'm more likely to enjoy old-school DnB, but if it gets too hectic like the majority of modern breakcore I have to drop out. Modern dubstep, I've heard one or two songs I like in that genre but the majority of it is way too loud and way too cheesy.

Drill and Bass is pretty good though.

the popular misconception of dubstep being exclusively the maximalist, abrasive, headache inducing wobbly stuff happened only a few years after coki's spongebob (and the tracks [i am not allowed to say "tune" for i am no brit] inspired by it) made its way here across the atlantic. but the vibe started to get thrown off as what was being called dubstep grew further and further removed from its origin - 2-step garridge with a heavy dub influence in both sound and ethos. afaik coki and vex'd were the progenitors of that abrasive strain of dubstep, yet their more abrasive tracks still have that dub vibe, a space in the sound.

something similar, perhaps not quite on the same scale, happened with drum and bass, around 1998. mostly with the similarly maximalist, similarly abrasive "jump up" sound (clownstep), in addition to many folks biting ed rush & optical's wormhole en masse.

another thing which pops into my head when i think about ambient dnb are the mixes that power_of_heavy_metal does

they're mostly chill tunes accompanied by defrag speedruns, i've gotten many good tracks from his videos!

Have to admit, over the years I actually started to appreciate some cheezy wubz as well!

Spoiler

Also, brostep and riddim themselves kept mutating and evolving and spawning certain flavours and styles, and some of them nowadays are much to my liking:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 4/25/2023 at 7:14 PM, Arwel said:

Some proper ancient dubs for ye:

Hide contents

Always interested me how Benji of Dub Wars also does vocals in Skindred, fun stuff 😅

On 4/25/2023 at 11:17 PM, heliumlamb said:

the popular misconception of dubstep being [etc]

Your comment reminds me of this guy's retrospective on the change in dubstep around 2009/2010 - Despite me enjoying the earlier era Skrillex and peers as it was my gateway into the world of more abrasive electronic subgenres (having come from a metal-interested background); I totally empathise with this guy's views... also this video pointed me in the direction of some amazing tunes / artists.

Damn, those two are my favourite genres of electronic music. There is more than enough appreciation for DnB/ambient jungle so I'll take the dubstep side.

If you can't stand the kind of music Skrillex is famous for - rest assured, so do I. And if you're fine with it, I think this oldschool style has a lot going for it.

Like Dragonfly and heliumlamb linked, there was a pretty significant shift in what dubstep means to many people as it was developing. I cannot recommend those two videos enough. It's an incredibly fluid genre that eventually lead to Skrillex and others with the iconic face-melting midbass growls. I don't wanna say that wasn't a thing back then, it definitely was, but it wasn't the bread and butter of the style. Dubstep can be dark and atmospheric, something you can really appreciate with good sub. Best listened in a club. It'll sound like ass when you play it on a dinkie little phone speaker, and I think the nasty midbass became so popular partially because any speaker you have at hand can do that. Those super aggressive beats slowly overcame the deeper, darker, groovier songs. Dubstep replaced garage in clubs, and dubstep itself was replaced, as trends changed. That's life.

The great part is - there is a treasure trove of old releases by DMZ, Tempa, Deep Medi and all the individuals with their unique style and take on the genre. If you don't know any of them, oh how I envy you, getting to discover all that amazing music for the first time. Mala, Loefah, Benga, Skream, Youngsta, Rusko, Coki, Komestar, but also the newer ones like J:Kenzo, SP:MC, LX One, the list is endless.

This here is a god-tier set with great blending.  And the one bellow that is selection of Tempa records. Give 'em a listen, you may find something you enjoy.

Edited by Sneezy McGlassFace