Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

Snowed in (kinda)

my whole life, I never thought I'd not like missing two days of school.

The weather that was terrorizing the northeast finally made its way down to Texas on Monday night. We got an inch of snow and sleet.

The sad thing is, one inch of snow is enough to totally shut down the city of Dallas. The city just isn't equipped to handle any snow at all. (And snow is such a rarity that they don't need to budget for it.)

So UTD is closed for the second day in a row. It first closed Monday night, before my Criminal Justice class. I'm going to toally miss that class this week. This is bad because mid-term exams are all next week, and we were supposed to get our review materials today.

This rant has no point. Just lamenting the city of Dallas's total inability to handle a little snow.

I feel you.

We get snow quite commonly, but can we handle it? No. Because this is Britain, and eveyone in local government is an incompetent fucktard.

There was a little snow in the South East a few weeks ago. People were stuck on the motorway OVERNIGHT. 16 hours. And then the gritting trucks were finally called out, only to not be able to get through because of the traffic..

If you are in the USA, breathe in heavily through your nose when you get an easterly wind, you may just be able to smell the retarded drifting across the ocean...

pritch said:

If you are in the USA, breathe in heavily through your nose when you get an easterly wind, you may just be able to smell the retarded drifting across the ocean...

That smell makes me want to puke and gave me a head ach.

1" and it shut down? Wow...It takes at least, I'd say, 8"-10" to shut anything down here. Hell, I've driven to school (which is 22 miles away) when there's like 1.5" or so of snow, as well as tons o' ice (including black ice), on the road itself. We just leave earlier.

Heh. Back home, it would take at least 3" sticking to the road to even slow the city down. A lot of people I've talked to who come from the Rocky Mountains or the Midwest say the same thing.

IMJack said:

Heh. Back home, it would take at least 3" sticking to the road to even slow the city down. A lot of people I've talked to who come from the Rocky Mountains or the Midwest say the same thing.

In Aspen the roads never get shutdown.
If ya dont have A four weel drive car you cant go any ware in the winter.

IMJack said:

Exactly. I live in Colorado. Westminster, to be specific. From my experience, most of us don't worry about snow, heh. And I commute Mon-Fri down to DU. Going down Federal, no less...

pritch said:

There was a little snow in the South East a few weeks ago. People were stuck on the motorway OVERNIGHT. 16 hours. And then the gritting trucks were finally called out, only to not be able to get through because of the traffic..

That little snowstorm was a bit unusual. IIRC it fell pretty quickly and the temperatures were very low. I was at Heathrow at the time - the plane needed de-icing. The M4 had been gritted a fair bit - much more and the grit itself would have become quite a major hazard.

But yes, Britain deals with its few inches of snow each year rather badly. I recall one time I was in Norway and there had been blizzards for days on end, yet the trains were still running pretty much like clockwork.

IMJack and I live in the same area. I've been stuck at home because I live downhill near lake Lewisville and the road is too slick to drive up. Suckage...

This ain't good: Through the magic of Teh Intarweb, I have learned that my Data Structures midterm, which was scheduled for next Wednesday, has been moved to the Monday after Spring Break. Teh suck.

I wonder how many other classes will follow suit...

TeamKill said:

1" and it shut down? Wow...It takes at least, I'd say, 8"-10" to shut anything down here. Hell, I've driven to school (which is 22 miles away) when there's like 1.5" or so of snow, as well as tons o' ice (including black ice), on the road itself. We just leave earlier.

It takes a couple of feet to close our school, but we only get 2 snow days. It is teh suck to trudge through 2ft of snow to a shool that should be closed.

pritch said:

I feel you.

We get snow quite commonly, but can we handle it? No. Because this is Britain, and eveyone in local government is an incompetent fucktard.

They can't handle it up here in the North East either. One night (a few weeks ago) they failed to grit the dual carriageways and I got dragged away from DooM at 12:30am to go and dig out a car that a member of my family had managed to stick in a bit of snow as a result of spinning off the road. (that was only minor compared to what was happening in other parts of the country - and I heard that some councils in the Lakes are having to stop gritting because of budget cutbacks - disaster recipe)

I was told by a family friend from Houston that rain & snow were serious threats.

Anyways, i've only missed 1 day of school due to the weather, but that was 2 feet of snow

Paddy was driving down the motorway when he started flashing his lights and honking his horn at a passing lorry, after a while the lorry pulled over. "What?" said the driver. "You are losing your load" paddy replied. The annoyed lorry driver said "I'm gritting you plonker!"

fodders said:

Paddy was driving down the motorway when he started flashing his lights and honking his horn at a passing lorry, after a while the lorry pulled over. "What?" said the driver. "You are losing your load" paddy replied. The annoyed lorry driver said "I'm gritting you plonker!"

Heh. English English.

Bloodshedder said:

Well, damn. The term 'grit' is a bit misleading then.

I think they use a variety of substances (rock salt typically, I believe), but it is generally in small pebble-sized lumps, rather than a fine powder. These lumps can easily get knocked up into the air as vehicles drive over them - one of them came close to smashing our windscreen on the way to Heathrow on the occasion I mentioned. So "grit" seems a reasonable term.

Heh, a link.

i am a snowman, someone please call the police so they can come and thaw me, how am i even using this keyboard