Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poisonhead

Help me create a stationary dehacked enemy? (ss guy into a turret)

I'm trying to replace Wolfenstain SS dude with a turret but I'm not sure if setting speed to 0 is enough to make it stationary? Whatabout the things, do I still keep walk and what about actions, is chase necessary? Are there are any guides that really explain what everything means? Been looking for pretty long. My mostly-vanilla-compatible resource file is closing 40 megabytes and I'm close to start finally mapping. I was a short time not doing anything but it was nice to do a few sprites and trying to make my turret 'n' crap work with whacked 4 in this sleepless night. Just wish I'd make it work. Help me. (my turret has only like left, left-middle, middle, middle-right and right frames besides extra images pointing backwards if that's _easily_ archievable but certainly not necessary).

Sorry for anothing stupid question. I really hope for a quick answer so I could get back to deh/gfx/sound editing and maybe get this running one day :) Thanks a lot in advance for this and all the other help without which I wouldn't be here today.

I'd love for someone to give me the bare necessity frames needed for this to work. I can also send the images and .deh somewhere if somebody wants to help that way? I'm mapping for Boom btw but so far only used .deh, not .bex or whatever the extended version is?

I'm about to fall asleep now, a lil' drunken too. Hope this made at least partially sense :)

I did research whole day for nothing, couldn't find a simple website that'd explain the functions and could anybody tell me which are the things I can safely take away? I'd like a _simple_ turret which shoots the player when it sees him. I've got gfx and audio but how to dehacked it in? Really hope somebody could help and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's ever gonna try to do a stationary enemy...

0 speed does the trick. Keep in mind to keep the look and chase states, or else your turret will turn into a decorative object with health. It's best if you reduce the tick duration in chase and look state to 1 tick to make your turret really aggressive. Not sure about reaction times though, at least for me I don't see the difference when I set it to 0.

You only need one state for look and chase that always loops to itself, the other unused states can be used for other dehacked stuff if you like.

The rest should be easy enough for you to figure out, if not you can ask me again :)

Setting reaction time to 0 causes the engine to use standard reaction. However, when you use any other number, reaction time is more of a multiplier. If you change look and chase state to 1, reaction time has nothing to do, as it (atleast seems to) be hard capped at 1 frame, so it default to default frames

1 hour ago, Martin Howe said:

Well you could try speed 0 and see what that does. Sometimes experiment is the only thing that pays off :(

I know. IF I had better cpu, more time and a working head I'd solved this ages ago but I've poured so much solvents and crap into my head whilst trying to fight overwhelming anxiety, depression, ADD etc so for me things like this are difficult even when provided answers and I'm just _unable_ to experiment even if I didn't mind the long start up time. I get so little time I can do _anything_ from my anxities and other problems my GAD damn panic disorderly mind keeps focusing on in this loneliness. Very sorry for opening up but I don't have the capacity to trial & error (besides I think other people too would also appreciate a guide, I can't believe I still haven't found one even for ambient sounds! dehacked guides to immobilizing monsters and making things make sound when they see player etc would rule).

19 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

0 speed does the trick. Keep in mind to keep the look and chase states, or else your turret will turn into a decorative object with health. It's best if you reduce the tick duration in chase and look state to 1 tick to make your turret really aggressive. Not sure about reaction times though, at least for me I don't see the difference when I set it to 0.

You only need one state for look and chase that always loops to itself, the other unused states can be used for other dehacked stuff if you like.

The rest should be easy enough for you to figure out, if not you can ask me again :)

16 minutes ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Setting reaction time to 0 causes the engine to use standard reaction. However, when you use any other number, reaction time is more of a multiplier. If you change look and chase state to 1, reaction time has nothing to do, as it (atleast seems to) be hard capped at 1 frame, so it default to default frames

Thank you! I'm pretty slow ATM to understand what IOD said but hope I can later understand a little better and make something work. I also hope I can make sounds work with this thing? (not big expectations but would really like a mechanical turning sound if possible when this thing turns, got sounds ready in Goldwave, just been waiting 'til I know how short to cut 'em to fit the dehacked timings of the thing.

I took a screenshot of Whacked 4 to help me visualize. Can I remove walk, explode and raise states completely? Guess I have to keep walk to use look and chase states? But when there's no different sound or gfx for the thing blowing up anyway, it has always the same ugly explosion and I don't intend it to be resurrected so can those two be removed?

I also added a screenshot showing all the SS guy actions etc. I'm attempting a very simple automated chain gun looking frankensprite to replace it. I'd love for it to have a custom audio sample (for firing sound) but I guess that's impossible? (without changing player's sounds too, or am I wrong?) Sorry if I sound lazy but could anyone show me all the actions I can remove and what others to change besides ones thiccyosh told me? I'd just quickly wanna decent-enough automated gun with everything unnecessary removed so that I (or somebody else) may perfect it later. I just want it working fast with the least effort possible.

Sorry for another a little messy post and I'm ashamed how hard things are for me. All help (regarding Doom, disregard other stuff) much appreciated! I'd like to really get something published some day.

ss-def.png

ss-actions.png

4 minutes ago, poisonhead said:

I also hope I can make sounds work with this thing? (not big expectations but would really like a mechanical turning sound if possible when this thing turns, got sounds ready in Goldwave, just been waiting 'til I know how short to cut 'em to fit the dehacked timings of the thing.)

As far as I know there is no way to add sounds when it turns, only when the thing is active.

7 minutes ago, poisonhead said:

Can I remove walk, explode and raise states completely? Guess I have to keep walk to use look and chase states? But when there's no different sound or gfx for the thing blowing up anyway, it has always the same ugly explosion and I don't intend it to be resurrected so can those two be removed?

Walk is the chase state, look is the spawn state, those you have to keep. You can remove explode and raise completely if you want. You can also remove the pain state if you want your turret to never flinch during attacks (But if so you have to set its pain chance to 0 or else it will disappear). 

9 minutes ago, poisonhead said:

I'd love for it to have a custom audio sample (for firing sound) but I guess that's impossible?

In Vanilla/Boom, yes, impossible without changing player sound firing effects aswell. Perhaps if you mess around with audio code pointers you kinda could make it work. Don't quote me on that please.

Once done, you should have a stationary turret.

Happy modding!

One general piece of advice when it comes to learning the ins and outs about Dehacked, look at Dehacked patches inside of wads that have the features you want to copy. That's the easiest way to learn about the details.

Like, if you want ambient sound effects, you could look at how its done in wads like Auger;Zenith or 1000 Lines 3 or Infection, to name a few. For turret enemies, you could check out Valiant's turrets. You get the idea.

Here is the Valiant sniper turret for your convenience.

Valiant Sniper turret Map30

1018420349_Screenshot(33).png.3ab8763fdf6bb645bd73b67f207aa0c1.png

Edited by Gregor

23 hours ago, poisonhead said:

I know. IF I had better cpu, more time and a working head I'd solved this ages ago but I've poured so much solvents and crap into my head whilst trying to fight overwhelming anxiety, depression, ADD etc so for me things like this are difficult even when provided answers and I'm just _unable_ to experiment even if I didn't mind the long start up time. I get so little time I can do _anything_ from my anxities and other problems my GAD damn panic disorderly mind keeps focusing on in this loneliness. Very sorry for opening up but I don't have the capacity to trial & error (besides I think other people too would also appreciate a guide, I can't believe I still haven't found one even for ambient sounds! dehacked guides to immobilizing monsters and making things make sound when they see player etc would rule).

Thank you! I'm pretty slow ATM to understand what IOD said but hope I can later understand a little better and make something work.

Basically, reaction time is to make monsters more or less aggressive, but it only works if you don't mess with the states. And i should have tagged thic as the answer was directed to him, not you. Sorry.