Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

Oh gr.

Whenever I edit a deepsea map in wadauthor and go to save it, the whole damn thing screws up! Anybody know how to fix this, or is this one of those errors that only I seem to have a problem with?

I'm not sure, but now that you mention it, every time I try to copy and paste a sector in WA, the program has an error and closes.

DeepSea and WadAuthor are not compatable. deep can read WA but not vise versa.

@Vulg@r
the problem you speak of is common if the sector your copying has a piller or is a piller.

Cyrez said:

Damn it, that sucks - I hate deepsea. Well, thanks anyway for addressing the problem.

Cyrez said:

Oh come on. That's bull. I've opened wads with Wadauthor that were created in DeepSea before. If Doom can use a wad so can Wadauthor. The only time Wadauthor has a problem is with extremely large levels.

stphrz said:

Oh come on. That's bull. I've opened wads with Wadauthor that were created in DeepSea before. If Doom can use a wad so can Wadauthor. The only time Wadauthor has a problem is with extremely large levels.

Actually, the level I want to edit is quite small, it still messes up all the lines when I go to save in Wadauthor.

Vulg@r said:

I'm not sure, but now that you mention it, every time I try to copy and paste a sector in WA, the program has an error and closes.

The reason it crashes is because you (accidentally) tried to copy-and-paste a free vertex (ie. you highlighted a vertex but not any linedefs/sectors around it). To reduce the chances of it happening I recommend using the object filter (ie. if you're copying sectors only, press 's' and it will highlight sectors only).

Black Void said:

Actually, the level I want to edit is quite small, it still messes up all the lines when I go to save in Wadauthor.

I don't know if this would work, but you could try using DeePBSP as an external nodebuilder (as it could be WA's internal one that's screwing it up). Or maybe use something like Warm or Zennode.

There's no way a level made by DeePsea can't be read by WA or any other level editor. And visa versa. Think about it - how could that possibly be?

Anyway, as stphrz said, "that's bull".

However, now that that's over - let's see what was originally posted:

Whenever I edit a deepsea map in wadauthor and go to save it, the whole damn thing screws up!

Here's what I think is really going on. You are having DeePsea and WA open the same level at the same time. IOW you did not close DeePsea. DeePsea locks the level as a safety feature to prevent simultaneous modification of a level. Then you try to save to the same filename with WA and it craps out - I think that was "screws up" meant. WA does not have error messages indicating the file is locked out.

So please let us know. Did you have both programs working on the same level at the same time?

Hmm... that doesn't seem to be the problem. I never have both editors open and running at the same time - when I edit in WA, I simply save the map and all the sectors or lines become screwed.

Strange, I use Wadauthor and Deepsea together all the time. I use zennode for all my node building though, maybe that has something to do with it.

Level editors don't usually open up nodes data (segs, ssectors, nodes etc) because, you can't edit them directly. What builder you use would have no effect on if the level loads properly or whatever in an editor since they all essentially do the same thing.

The thing happening with wauth you speak of would be a regular wadauthor bug that occurs a lot on win9x but not very much on NT based stuff. For whatever reason it feels the need to randomly swap sector properties for whatever reason when you save. Make sure you have backups turned on and before you save I found that zooming out so you can see the entire map and making sure nothing is selected lowers the chances of this happening. Fix any structure errors there might be (double verts, unclosed sectors etc) as well.

stphrz said:

Oh, my mistake. I have only ever delt with extremely large levels from Deep and what Black Void mentioned was the same results i got. i do Apologize for my incorect statment.

Cyb said:

Level editors don't usually open up nodes data (segs, ssectors, nodes etc) because, you can't edit them directly. What builder you use would have no effect on if the level loads properly or whatever in an editor since they all essentially do the same thing.

The thing happening with wauth you speak of would be a regular wadauthor bug that occurs a lot on win9x but not very much on NT based stuff. For whatever reason it feels the need to randomly swap sector properties for whatever reason when you save. Make sure you have backups turned on and before you save I found that zooming out so you can see the entire map and making sure nothing is selected lowers the chances of this happening. Fix any structure errors there might be (double verts, unclosed sectors etc) as well.

Thanks Cyb, that does help. Luckily the level is small, so although it did get a great deal of screwing, I was able to fix things up.