Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

If you had to lose one of your senses...

If you [b]had[/b] to lose one of your senses what would it be and why?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. If you [b]had[/b] to lose one of your senses what would it be and why?

• Sight
    • Hearing
    • Touch
    • Taste
    • Smell

I'd choose to lose taste. Without earing or seeing playing games would be hard and Real Life would be pretty hard IMO. Smell would be my 2nd touch and touch my 3rd one.

I'm not sure how you could lose the sense of touch, but I guess this is all in theory. Anyway, I'd probably opt for loss of smell. That way, if I had a certain disease (I forget what it's called, but it happens when your neurons misfire) I could still read and the word "New York" would smell like peach cobbler. :D Also, you don't need to be able to smell in order to play Doom...unless you get smellovision -- which would kick ass with Doom III.

Smell, because I'm sick and tired of smelling my brother. What a skunk. :P (he's adopted)

You can function without sight or hearing, but you can't function without touch.

As for taste, can you just imagine what it's like to not be able to taste ANYTHING? Even "purified" water has its own taste.

I'd say I'd either go with
a. smell (you don't have to smell to play Doom, and I really don't really really smell all that much in real life either, I could probably do with it)
or
b.
Taste (same reason as smell)

I realize that there could complications missing one or the other or both, but hey, such complications probably wouldn't happen to me anyway :D

Most of what we think of as 'taste' actually has to do with smelling. Taste only refers to the ability to discern between sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami.

Use3D said:

How dare you.

My sarcasam detector is reading high. :P Besides he hasn't bathed in weeks, that's why. Maybe it's time for another suprise attack. :P

Smell. Only one I could afford to loose. Need my ears for my writing music. Need my eyes for important things, like playing Doom and looking at my girlfriend. Need taste to keep tasting that great Japanese food. And need my touch for...other reasons.

whould all our other sences be hightened like in dare devil.

how about smell. theres more smells i hate then like so

id go with smell
because I cant smell anyway the inside of my nasil passages were burnt severly with an idustrial cleaner i dident kno it was open in the basement and i was breathing it in for over an hour. Luckly it dident burn my lungs because it was humid and kept the ph down inside of my lungs.

I'd go without ESP. All the satellite and cable transmissions going around the world nowadays, particularly in urban areas like the one I live in, are causing great interference anyway, so I wouldn't lose much, would I?

fodders said:

Humour

No!

Ct_red_pants said:

I donno, Pain?

No way, the ability to feel pain is important. There's some appalling syndrome where children are born unable to feel pain; the outcome is horrific.

Taste or smell? Without knowing how closely linked they are, it's hard to say. I guess taste though.

And I seem to have managed OK for years without any sense of perspective. :)

Easily the sense of taste. I mean seriously, if you had to lose one of your senses, why not lose the one that's least important to survival? Sight and hearing are obvious, you can get by without them, but they are probably the most used. The sense of touch is also incredibly important... if you can't feel anything, then how can you manipulate it? Smell... well, there are plenty of cases where what you smell will warn you about what your other senses can't pick up. The sense of taste seems to be little more than a perk, if you ask me... though if you are too stupid to use your other senses before you stick something in your mouth, then taste could come in handy... but it's ultimately the least useful.

If you lose the sense of smell, you almost lose all of your sense of taste as well. So taste it is.

I can see that there are still quite a heck of a lot of fools that think they can still taste great food without the sense of smell.