Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matacrat

🟠 Blocked-Out! - A Boom 2 Community Project (37/37) βšͺ

Look, @Matacrat. The project uses Boom map format. The vast majority of ports that can work with Boom can also work successfully with UMAPINFO (DSDA, Woof!, Doom Retro, From Doom With Love, Nugget Doom, Modern ZDoom and many more). Why not then expand the number of slots, so that everyone can enter the project? If you need help with cross-port implementation of various xMAPINFO, I could help, since I have successful experience with such task.

Β 

32 minutes ago, DRON12261 said:

Why not then expand the number of slots, so that everyone can enter the project?

Mostly fears of being overwhelmed.

ButΒ after some consideration, a conversation and about a day to think about it,
I'll addΒ 30 more slots using umapinfo and call itΒ there.Β 

23 minutes ago, Matacrat said:

ButΒ after some consideration, a conversation and about a day to think about it,

Β 

Just take care not to bite off more than you can chew! Already sounds like a pretty big undertaking for your first time hosting a community project, so don't be afraid to ask others for help at any point, fam.

49 minutes ago, Matacrat said:

That's a very legit concern. If you'll need some help with the final stages like making the text graphics with author and map names, or something, you can ping me, and I can give you a hand.Β 

This is a really cool concept! Looks like there's still room,Β I'mΒ interested in contributing. :)

7 hours ago, Matacrat said:

Β 

Β 

I have actually two arguments why I personally think it's not a good idea :)

Β 

First - the maps will be very similar, so playing 60 of the same organge maps might be a little boring.

Second - many people who took slot might gave up later. It happens in community proejcts. In that case the fact that all slots are taken doesn't mean you can rely on that and won't need to free the slot later for someone else.

Screenshot_Doom_20230428_062944.png.2fd042b7a809e42854e3aeccd4cc4e40.png

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

After racking my brain for ideas, I ended up with a simple idea inspired from a quote from a Dean of Doom video on Community Chest 2. On Map16, "Spirit World HQ" by Gene Bird: "This warehouse full of decorations got me thinking that this map is supposed to be a sort of 'Doom Level Workshop.'"

So the general idea I'm going for here is that it's a factory that produces Doom level layouts and textures...

The Doom Builder!

Β 

I am very nervous about this map as it is my first community project submission and I'm worried it might not hold up to the other maps in this collection. I'm gonna try to power through those worries though!

On 4/27/2023 at 1:51 AM, Moustachio said:

Sad to see all the slots go so quickly. This looks very charming, and I would have loved to contribute. Good luck, mappers!

Β 

More slots have been open, mate! QUICK COME AND CLAIM ONE!

EDIT: Just so it's perfectly clear, as I was reading the above posts this is in regard to my map, not the new map slots being opened up.

Edited by HorseJockey : I'm a ball of anxiety and this is what I think about

From the submission image i have read there is also song composer, Are stuff like .ogg or .mod fine to be used then?

or it's only midi?

Just now, Redead-ITA said:

Are stuff like .ogg or .mod fine to be used then?

Or it's only midi?

Only midi.Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, Redead-ITA said:

From the submission image i have read there is also song composer.

This was only really applies for arrangementΒ midi's like...

Song Name:Β Columns III - Columns Dive
Midi Composer: Jace
Song Composer:Β Morihiko Akiyama

Note: I don't really blame you if you can't find the song composer. Just thought it'd be a nice extra for the help screen.

15 hours ago, Matthias (LiquidDoom) said:

First - the maps will be very similar, so playing 60 of the same organge maps might be a little boring.

Not necessarily true at all. Visually, maybe, but your texture set does not restrict the kind of gameplay composition you can put into a map. I'm personally looking forward to seeing a variety of nostalgia-tinged twists, crossover slaughter, BourgDM-esque deathmatch conversions, aim map tributes, etc.

Β 

Good luck, mappers.

13 minutes ago, Matacrat said:

Only midi.Β 

Β 

Note: I don't really blame you if you can't find the song composer. Just thought it'd be a nice extra for the help screen.

Alright, thanks for clarification, i shall now share my map!

Map Name: Road to the water train!
Author: Redead-ITA
Music and Composers: Lite -&- Dreamy by Microsoft
Par Time: 1 minute
Map Description: A relatively short map, with a small loop andΒ 1 secret, it uses the texture pack in a very "how the dev would use these textures" type deal
Map Screenshot:Β zlqaRbv.png

Β 

blockedoutred.zip

Β 

The map was made in BooM format

Β 

1 hour ago, Redead-ITA said:

Alright, thanks for clarification, i shall now share my map!

Spoiler

Β 

Map Name: Road to the water train!
Author: Redead-ITA
Music and Composers: Lite -&- Dreamy by Microsoft
Par Time: 1 minute
Map Description: A relatively short map, with a small loop andΒ 1 secret, it uses the texture pack in a very "how the dev would use these textures" type deal
Map Screenshot:Β zlqaRbv.png

Β 

blockedoutred.zip

Β 

The map was made in BooM format

Β 

ο»Ώ

Looks like you've used a blockout texture i've addedΒ to replaceΒ hud texturesΒ instead of the acutal texture. I don't blame you for this.
Could you go back and replace all instances of STARTAN,GRNROCK and CEIL1_1Β with the intended textures prefixed by "DEV"Β in your map?
JPEuNvm.png

Edited by Matacrat

56 minutes ago, Matacrat said:

Β 

Looks like you've used a blockout texture i've addedΒ to replaceΒ hud texturesΒ instead of the acutal texture. I don't blame you for this.
Could you go back and replace all instances of STARTAN,GRNROCK and CEIL1_1Β with the intended textures prefixed by "DEV"Β in your map?
JPEuNvm.png

Alright, but maybe next time inform me on that front.

blockedoutred.zip

23 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Alright, but maybe next time inform me on that front.

blockedoutred.zip

Gotcha. I've updated the asset pack to remove those textures. Mappers should only see the intended ones now.
image.png.60ac1fa0fd81fb7b1533e311802cef8d.png

Don't we need MIDI's for the text screen, intermission and title of the WAD? If so, I can probably make those if you give me a certain theme.

14 minutes ago, wumbo said:

Don't we need MIDI's for the text screen, intermission and title of the WAD? If so, I can probably make those if you give me a certain theme.

That's alright. I already know what I'll make of those tracks.Β