Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem 2023 - Uploading to Incoming in a week!

My map advances pretty well, here is a wip layout screen. No in-game screenshots for the moment

HfTj1y.png

Progress on my map is coming along nicely. I should have some preview shots by the weekend.

I'm getting a lot of usage out of the portal system and enternity's sloped surface system.

EDIT: My map will be using two simple custom textures for a special effect.

Edited by MObreck

9 hours ago, MObreck said:

Progress on my map is coming along nicely. I should have some preview shots by the weekend.

I'm getting a lot of usage out of the portal system and enternity's sloped surface system.

EDIT: My map will be using two simple custom textures for a special effect.

Good stuff! Just remember that Eternity's slopes currently aren't traversable in the traditional sense, so it's best to use them for detail that the player can't reach.

On 5/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, Axuris said:

I'm pulling out of the project, simply because I have a lot of stuff I want to focus on more and I don't have much time to spare for my map.

@Obsidian Hope you read this.

8 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Good stuff! Just remember that Eternity's slopes currently aren't traversable in the traditional sense, so it's best to use them for detail that the player can't reach.

I saw that but I think that info might be outdated. I added a few ramps to my stage and they work as intended.

Few shots from my rather bland-looking untitled map (in progress).

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210750.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210811.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210821.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210835.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210858.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230519_210950.png

@Obsidian

Oh while I'm thinking about it here is a lump that will add heretic style liquid footclipping to Enternity to all the DOOM liquids (If player has terrian footclipping enabled in their options). By default Enternity only setup support up for DOOM's blue water and lava. Its up to you whether you want to use it:

EnternityLiquidsLump.zip

EDIT: It occurs to me that Enternity made the footclipping option rather cryptic to locate. To enable it go the the compatibility/simulation menu and set "Disable Terrain Types" to NO:

1768261332_bandicam2023-05-2104-47-09-604.png.e0e8a24028c61c118de02bc713598c05.png

Edited by MObreck

So about those portals:

etrn01.png.265603932488f0384188997e8019723a.pngetrn02.png.e7e2bb60a661a17664cd51c4d769624c.pngetrn03.png.c383948d3e8ca3fe4b095862066931ed.png

etrn00.png.f759329a5402a6f3f5c060a14d97e5a0.png

Also anyone like Star Trek style side opening doors?

Spoiler

etrn05.png.2da3783dd33672cb5465b55eef119a8f.pngetrn04.png.d61e72d916f9704d6d007c1cc1da3ef8.png

Liking what I'm seeing! :D Also wasn't aware that slopes worked as intended now, gonna have to explore that sometime later.

Also! The resource pack has received an update: nothing groundbreaking, just a couple of additional textures and a bit of graphical work that needed attending to. Massive thanks to @Dragonfly for the M_DOOM graphic, I'd be lost without ya. :P Link in the OP has been updated.

Does this project still accept new submissions? I'm interested in this project and started making a map recently. If so, please count me in!

And here are some screenshots, the map is still WIP though:

Spoiler

may01.png.cdf8c23caf6ebbb0e436bc5ef49ae290.pngmay02.png.2e06eabc280096562333d2b9fafa5fbf.pngmay03.png.f9b01738c030de4094800f64626fcb33.pngmay04.png.6a19e45605d1fb1ab6ff056acac38f7d.pngmay05.png.eb2a1c9aa8a08d9a119d6b2d65091e2e.png

Title - This Station Was Lost

Midi - "Influx" by Psyrus
Format is boom (-cl9), difficulty settings and coop are implemented, but coop is pretty much just player starts. Any feedback on hmp and lower would be appreciated.
Tested in DSDA-Doom.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

doom.png.aa1683c69d7c6b9bdf49adc95081ad52.png

mayhem23.zip

Map Name: USCSS Holroyd
Author: Glikkzy
Par Time: 5:00
Midi: "Holier than Thou" by James Paddock

Difficulty Levels: Lower difficulties have fewer/different monsters
Coop: Just the 4 player starts

Boom format and tested in DSDA-Doom. Open for feedback of course!

This is a short, not too difficult map taking place onboard a starship inspired by the likes of Alien(s) and Live a Live. An attempt at a more gloomy and atmospheric map than my usual, but still has a fair bit of shooty-bangbang. Probably works best in an earlier slot in the mapset.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshots.png.43e94b4abd70fa1d8aab2b0417ada823.png

Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lOkq-2Bg8edF8ZXvUsBny1T9X6-6x3YC/view?usp=share_link

I have finally started making something for this. Not much so far, but a start.

gqx7uNB.png

There is probably more doomcute in this map than most of the maps I have made in the last few years.

BEFORE:

etrn11.png.aa7ae704fd6fee5a9f03ff96771a7659.png

AFTER:

etrn06.png.a5f2a79448825e344fee48094b5dfd0b.png

Obviously a lot of nuanced detailing work needs to be applied, but you get the idea.

Not sure if I can get my map now named "Coloratura" complete before the deadline. But usually the Mayhem projects are delayed a bit.

Layout is mostly there but I'll be away on the weekend doing a music gig so will need to focus on Monday or Tuesday to get the gameplay sorted.

6 hours ago, pcorf said:

But usually the Mayhem projects are delayed a bit.

Only the compiling, not the submissions. :P

But yeah, give or take a few hours there's still a week left before pencils down. Looking forward to seeing what people bring to the table!

Map Title: Explosive Eradication

Music: "Feedback" by Mark Klem

Format: Boom (cl9)

Coop: Player starts only

Difficulty Settings: Yes, but I mainly tested the map in Ultra-Violence

Mainly tested in DSDA-Doom. Eternity Engine works as well.

Download

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom27.png.91c6347397fcfc250bf7dcd2dd83c92c.pngdoom28.png.b5289994763a7591a73f665cfec15960.pngdoom29.png.4c348ea180f3fa3b874bf230e93fa392.pngdoom30.png.4c9045c82279dc330699d096b0561755.pngdoom31.png.b47910604f4ea5f5d18bbf41cc00d21e.png

Well it hurts to say, but i think im going to step outside of the project as my map aint going nowhere. I've only done the starting area and a supposed final fight but nothing more, guess i'll save them as drafts for something in the future. If i feel uninspired everytime i load the map in UDB, then thats a sign for me to stop. Thank you Obsidian for giving me the opportunity anyways.

Good luck to everyone else!

Yeah, you know what, i think i should drop out of the project. I'm wasting my own time procrastinating, doing work and other unrelated projects than doing the map. And, even then, i don't think it'll be as good as many of your entries.

Hey was anyone else using the MEDB creatures? On sunday I'm going to make a trimmed down version that just uses the creatures I added for easier merging.

If anyone else was using them let me know which creatures so I don't remove them.

@Obsidian

MEDB also replaces the chainsaw with a buffed, double bladed version. I was going to remove that too unless you want me to keep it in.

@MObreck I'd prefer to keep the weapons stock, yeah. As for the monster additions, if I can finish my first map this weekend I'm considering using a couple in a quicker second submission. :)

48 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

@MObreck I'd prefer to keep the weapons stock, yeah. As for the monster additions, if I can finish my first map this weekend I'm considering using a couple in a quicker second submission. :)

Sounds good :)

My stage is going to use the nightmare imps, watchers, wargrins, Doom64 style arachnotrons, and maybe the rifle zombies (they copycat the ss nazi ai)

If you need any of the others just let me know by the end of the weekend so i don't axe them. The harkubus and morter zombies have fun potential, but didn't make the 5-or-less cut for my level.

Here is my entry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfar7qtnpf5903i/Mayhem23cb.wad?dl=0

Name - Sleeping Sickness

Midi - "Shut In" By James Paddock

Compatibility - Boom (Complevel 9)

Tested in - DSDA Doom

Difficulty settings - Included

Co-op - Not yet

nkpoZH4.png   

WNrxGTH.png

Blurb - So to make up for the lack of eternity shenanigans, here is a stream of nonsense from my mind. I apologise in advance that this map could make sorting out map slots difficult, because my mind definitely skewed off in a tangent that is probably in the opposite direction to everyone else. That is all I am going to say, apart from hoping that this provokes a reaction, that the combat (When presented to the player) isn't too unbearable, and that 100% kills is in effect unachievable for reasons that will become apart, but also could be easily guessed at. 

Enjoy.... well perhaps.....

Spoiler

This map will feel more appropriate when the final release comes ;)

@Obsidian

I'm almost finished with the structural aspects of my map. Getting close to enemy placement. Was there any MEDB monsters/objects you wanted me to keep for in your map ideas besides?:

- Nightmare Imp

- Zombie Marine

- Watcher

- Wargrin

- D64 Arachnotron

- Tech wall "torches"

7 hours ago, MObreck said:

@Obsidian

I'm almost finished with the structural aspects of my map. Getting close to enemy placement. Was there any MEDB monsters/objects you wanted me to keep for in your map ideas besides?:

- Nightmare Imp

- Zombie Marine

- Watcher

- Wargrin

- D64 Arachnotron

- Tech wall "torches"

I was thinking of using the Grell for my second submission, so go ahead and toss that one in. 👍

Surprise! I decided to make a map for this year's MAYhem. It's a Knee-Deep in the Dead styled level which reminds me of STRAIN. I hope you like it! :) 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230529_012644.png.15bea6db9dadc606842140f5b8089a60.png

Name: Outpost 666

MIDI: Diaphragm by Brayden Hart (AD_79)

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Build time: Three to four days

Tools used: Doom Builder X, SLADE 3

Tested with: GZDoom 4.8.2

File: OUTPOST666.ZIP

Edited by Scorpius

On 5/26/2023 at 5:50 AM, Obsidian said:

Only the compiling, not the submissions. :P

But yeah, give or take a few hours there's still a week left before pencils down. Looking forward to seeing what people bring to the table!

It is nearly complete. I'm in the process of adding the enemies and stuff, but might not be able to fully test it. Deadlight is tight and I am busy with life. There is no guarantee you'll get it, if it misses the cut it will be submitted to another project (most likely Community Trunk).

Edited by pcorf