Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csabo

A few comments

I've downloaded and played with the Eternity Engine V3.31 (windows version). First of all let me congratulate all the people who worked on it, it's a great port. Just a few small things.

The eternity.wad file distributed in the zip file seems to have holes (wasted space) in it. By cleaning it with XWE (or any other WAD tool that cleans WADs), the size reduces from 1.38MB to 1.11MB.

While playing around with the options menu (and submenus), it's a bit annoying that ESC exits the whole options menu. I would like it better if pressing ESC in a submenu first took you back to options.

And a small request: a (quick)quit function, which would quit the program without asking the Y/N question would be much appreciated. You could think of it as a boss key. (I would set it up on F12.)

Csabo said:

While playing around with the options menu (and submenus), it's a bit annoying that ESC exits the whole options menu. I would like it better if pressing ESC in a submenu first took you back to options.

that's the port's boom roots showing.. escape is the enter game/exit game button, while to backtrack in the menu system you press backspace.

Ah, backspace it is. That's good enough. I thought I tried all the keys, but obviously I didn't... :-)

The "quit" console command should quit the game without asking a question. It *will* stop and play a sound real quick, but that's pretty trivial.

Okay, "BIND F12 QUIT" worked great. However, it doesn't let me quit if I'm not playing. It just brings up the menu. I can still pull down the console and type "quit", and that works. Doesn't that mean that it should work by pressing F12 too?

The problem isn't that the command doesn't work when the menus are up, its that MN_Responder has higher priority than C_Responder. This means that menus take input before the console gets a chance to handle it. And any keystroke brings up the menu when you're not in a game. I don't really know if it would be wise to change the order of the responders or not, so for now I'm not going to try to fix that.

Okay, don't try to fix that, but you are avoiding the original issue. So here's once again my request: implement a key/command/whatever into Eternity that closes it immediately, regardless of where you are. This includes that text window Mordeth mentioned in the other thread.

It's a simple user requirement. You can choose not to do it of course, I understand that you and SoM are probably a lot more interested in coding actual DooM related issues. It's just for me (and possible other users) this feature is important.

Good job on the new beta though!

Ahh ok I gotcha now. I'll consider it. The problem is that such a key can be hit by accident.

Well, you could set it up so it's not assigned to anything by default, so that can't happen. People who need it would just bind it to F12 (which functions well as a PANIC! button).