Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Worst PC Doom to console port?

What, in your opinions, was the worst PC Doom to console port that you have played to date?
IMO, it was the Super NES version of Doom. I won't go too far into it, but I'll just say it was a slow moving, grossly over pixellated lump of crap with a serious lack of speed and overall fun (strange, considering that it's Doom).

No, the SNES Doom worked well, for its few resources. 3DO Doom and Sega Cd Doom sucked the most.

i would agree with the sega and 3do version. i also thought doom GBA(not doom2) was rather weak. Also i thought the PSX version was lacking in such things, like no archviles. honestly the PSX could have handled doom and so much more.

Yes, true. Come to think of it, I'm rather upset about the lack of chaingunners in Doom64. Though other than that, I don't really have many complaints (aside from no multi).

Vulg@r said:

No, the SNES Doom worked well, for its few resources. 3DO Doom and Sega Cd Doom sucked the most.

Maybe you mean 32x Doom.

32x was pretty bad. I have it (don't have a 32x anymore, though...kept the game just because it was Doom). Though, I've heard the 3D0 version is pretty crappy as well.

I like the Jag version the best, personally.

i dont say doom64, cause it was stand alone. i dont even think Id helped with it.

really the 2 complaints of ports i have seen is 32x and PSX. both could have been made better.
the GBA port also had some bad points, besides the green blood and lack of gore, it lacked the cyber and master mind. and it was based on 32x/jag versions. they should have started with the PC version instead of an older port. i bet alot of code used in both 32x and jag are still present. thus makeing less efficient and slower

Only port I've played is SNES DooM and I didnt like it one bit. Sure they didnt have much to work with, but perhaps then they shouldnt have tried.

On a side note, if you want to see a really terrible port, play Duke 3d for Genesis (not 32X).

Assmaster said:

On a side note, if you want to see a really terrible port, play Duke 3d for Genesis (not 32X).

Never heard of it.

Erm, considering how powerful the SNES was, it was a rather good conversion. I played that thing for hours...and I never noticed nothing...the fact that I was playing Doom was enough for me.

Yeah, the SNES's CPU ran at 3.76 MHz or something like that. What was the minimum for PC Doom? 33 MHz?

Assmaster said:

Ever play the one for PSX? Not very good. : / I don't know if I'm getting the comparison wrong, but I thought Doom required at least a 486 (not sure how many megahertz that is).

As far as I remember the original Doom could run on a 386 with 20 mhz. With a poor framerate of course.

The SNES version has no floor and ceiling textures which accounts for some performance increase. There were other graphical features cut out, but I can't remember them.

I''m kinda torn between 32X and 3d0. 32X had a decent framerate, but lacked to much, and the music SUCKED! 3d0, on the other hand, had truly rockin music, but a framrate resembling that of a slideshow.

I've play them all except Doom64, and the Jag version. 3DO Doom is by far the very worst. By far. The SNES version is actually the most accurate console Doom port over all. The layouts of the levels are exact, and the texturing (sans the flats) spot on. All the enemies in the original Doom are present although many animation frames were cut.

Vulg@r said:

Ever play the one for PSX? Not very good. : /

Duke on the psx was ok tell it was turnded to a 3d person. That is the most stuped thing 3d realms ever did.

stphrz said:

I've play them all except Doom64

Doom 64 is my favorite console version.. but I'm not sure I can call it a port because it is, and mentioned, a stand alone game. Something new. but I don;t see what everyone else sees wrong with the SNES version. That one and Doom II on the GBA are the most dead on ports of the respective games. SNES was far more accurte than the likes pf the PSX, though the PSX played a mite better. I personally, very much enjoyed the SNES version.

I have't played the 32x version of doom, so I would say snes doom...

I think the Saturn version was rushed or has sloppy coding, Virtua Fighter 2 has higher frame rates than Doom on the Saturn.

DarkWolf said:

I think the Saturn version was rushed or has sloppy coding, Virtua Fighter 2 has higher frame rates than Doom on the Saturn.

Correct. All the other FPS games on Saturn have great framerates and more complex geometery. Doom's horrendous framerate is inexcusable.

Doom 64. Sorry but I hated it. Amongst other things, I thought some names were so retarded. Motherdemon? Guh. Plus I hate the N64 anyway.

Best is PSX Doom, lovely, faithful and extra creepy.

3DO version was easily the worst, super low fps. Saturn is slow but still playable, I played it recently. Even though the PSX and N64 lack a lot in certain areas they both have strengths that even the PC game don't have and they're eminently playable...But Pritch I gotta agree, Motherdemon wtf!

Snes Doom wasn't that bad, EXCEPT that it didn't allow me to save states!!!! I remember that I played it an entire day, planning to see the ending and instead on going to DIS I went to Warrens accidentally, and I was getting killed constantly by the Cyberdemon in the fake exit zone, then I got stuck, and there was no walkthrough, so I turned the console off.