Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shakariki Heisenberg

What was the best "Inside a computer" mod you've played?

15 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

Not really tbh...

like maps that look like ur playing inside like a infected computer and theres all the computer shit like gpu ram cpu like that

Spoiler

Marswar_MAP30.png
Marswar-billgates.png

"s'09 eht rof mroftalp eht si 2/SO eveileb eW"

Edited by CAM-7EA

I have never played such a map to my recollection. Unless I am very wrong, I sincerely doubt it's prolific enough of a theme to start a viable discussion on.

28 minutes ago, CAM-7EA said:
  Hide contents

Marswar-billgates.png

"s'09 eht rof mroftalp eht si 2/SO eveileb eW"

//Ah yes... The Gates of Hell...

I don't think it was that bad of a question -- there have been a few of them. A pretty good one was released very recently called HOTFIX93, and I think you go inside a computer in one map in Intergalactic Xenology Trilogy where you're shrunken down and trying to escape the top of a desk in a lab where you're being held prisoner.

There's another three-map set I like called Uplink that's basically Cyberspace, but it imagines it in a more mechanical way than usual -- I remember data being transferred as a scrolling stream of crates, for instance.

11 minutes ago, Maribo said:

My Soul Trapped in a Win98 PC is heartfelt nostalgia and love for computers.

Wow, I vaguely remember playing this back in 2015. Can't believe it was eight years ago now. Thanks for bringing back a forgotten memory.

9 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I have never played such a map to my recollection. Unless I am very wrong, I sincerely doubt it's prolific enough of a theme to start a viable discussion on.

In other words, you had nothing to add to this discussion.

Also didn't realize there was something recent with that sort of theme, thanks for mentioning HOTFIX, @Not Jabba, looks like it's time to check that out. Really love this screen shot:

Spoiler

image.png.21c9c11754df77e7f00fc903578ba54c.png

Mega5.wad iirc map01 was a motherboard. Shitty map neat concept.

Some bits of cybercrime3.wad felt inside a computer

DBAB18/map18 of dbabrm.pk3 was a very blue inside a computer arena

5 minutes ago, CAM-7EA said:

Wow, I vaguely remember playing this back in 2015. Can't believe it was eight years ago now. Thanks for bringing back a forgotten memory.

I played it around this time last year, it's stuck pretty solidly in my head. I remember loving these textures in particular, seeing so many of them scrolling past was a bit like a gut punch.

Spoiler

PkF69Mj.pngth5tVcY.png

4csP5gR.png

The texture set as a whole is pretty incredible, I'm particularly a fan of some of these designs:

Spoiler

Tt5sw3e.pngtjIPHgF.png

PxuZHEI.pngv5y1kOp.png

Playing around with different thematic things, seeing the insides of your computer as some kind of living combination of technology and flesh, stuff like the hanging wires and file folders strewn all over the floor, UI graphics. It's gorgeous.

6 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

I think you go inside a computer in one map in Intergalactic Xenology Trilogy where you're shrunken down and trying to escape the top of a desk in a lab where you're being held prisoner.

First map of the third episode, I believe. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that really fits. Plenty of maps have a vaguely cyberspace/VR simulation aesthetic, but I'm struggling to come up with anything taking place inside a physical computer or emphasizing specific computer elements (like classic Windows UI), though I swear I must have played some. I remember a classic Windows-themed track in SRB2Kart, but that may be a bit too far from Doom for the thread. There's a map in DIY (MAP08) that contains some sector art computer components, as well as a map in RAMP that's just a room with some sector art electronics. There's also a secret in AUGER;ZENITH that has you play an ad-infested version of The Chasm.

Edited by Shepardus

image.png.40c1559b3f79f9bb9b4ec4580cc39994.png

Here's an older map of mine that's set inside a corrupted simulation.

The Cognition Engine takes place in a digital hellscape, and it even has some cool text logs that describe how it came to be.  I was also gonna mention Hotfix93 but I see that was mentioned!

There's a map in the Alfonzone which evokes the "inside a computer" feel.  Don't remember which one off the top of my head but I recall it's in one of the later episodes. (Ep. 8 or 9 is my best guess)

Shaman's Device (map 21 from CChest4) might fit given the textures used.

10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

No worse than any other mapping themes...

Besides those already mentioned, and without talking about cyberspace levels, there's MAP20: Master Computer from Hell to Pay, The C.P.U. from the Master Levels outtakes, on the top of my head. Though first thought was the already-mentioned MAP01: Hardware from M.A.P.

2 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

There's a map in the Alfonzone which evokes the "inside a computer" feel.  Don't remember which one off the top of my head but I recall it's in one of the later episodes. (Ep. 8 or 9 is my best guess)

All of episode 8 kinda fits, but MAP40: Electric City is clearly designed after a computer board.

10 hours ago, Ludi said:

What's your map called?  Really want to play this.

5 hours ago, invictius said:

What's your map called?  Really want to play this.

This project isn't out yet, I got permission to share this :p

16 hours ago, Ludi said:

wait a minute, i swear i've seen the hud somewhere before...

33 minutes ago, Bowsertime28 said:

Someone pointed out that it looks like the ancient aliens one.

45 minutes ago, Ludi said:

This project isn't out yet, I got permission to share this :p

Oh ok, someone on the discord said it was a doomer board project wad, so I went through all 60 looking for that status bar lol.

6 hours ago, invictius said:

Someone pointed out that it looks like the ancient aliens one.

Oh ok, someone on the discord said it was a doomer board project wad, so I went through all 60 looking for that status bar lol.

Nope. Like I said, can't talk about it yet. 

What Discord???

6 hours ago, Bowsertime28 said:

Send our friend my regards.