Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sheckly

HABITAT.WAD - WIP Testing needed!

I have another map to present to you all. It comes after an absence from makpmaking for a while, and is still only a handful of completed maps I've made. I'm looking primarily for difficulty testing, as I'm TERRIBLE at Doom, I don't know what a "fair" fight looks like in certain instances, so I'm looking for people to help me test the encounters. Let me know what you think, and please provide feedback how I could improve the monster encounters especially.

*edit*

Cleared up some of the language of this post, plus I forgot to say what I tested this in and what IWAD you need. You need Doom 2. I tested it in Crispy Doom, (there's a few visual bugs) DSDA Doom (same visual bugs) and GZDoom (seems fine) I updated the map, I fixed the blue door not working on one side, and I added the ability for you to find the red key door in case you miss the red key itself. I also added a surprise at the end, oh and a exit marker for the exit room. I've added a few tweaks based on feedback, still haven't been able to nail down the stuck pinky in the big area yet, but I'll keep working on it. Also rearranged one of the Archviles near the end, added a new way to get up to a platform you couldn't get to before, and modified the fight in the blue key room ever so slightly. Oh and added a purpose to one of the big stuctures in the huge area.

Here is the map, HABITAT and here are some screenshots to let you know what your dealing with:

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_144940.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_144956.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_145054.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_145807.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_145859.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150111.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150203.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150608.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150616.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150626.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150817.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_150953.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151023.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151051.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151312.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151428.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151821.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230506_151829.png

Edited by Sheckly

Well seem I will disagre with thelamp about the big fight, the maps was fun but the big fight kinda felt out of place compared to the rest of the map so I kipped most of it.

Not sure if it was intentional, but once you are past the blue door you cannot go back.

3 hours ago, Delisk said:

Well seem I will disagre with thelamp about the big fight, the maps was fun but the big fight kinda felt out of place compared to the rest of the map so I kipped most of it.

Not sure if it was intentional, but once you are past the blue door you cannot go back.

Ok, That was just a small oversight on my part about the other side of the blue door. I'll fix it and update the map. Also, there's one yay and one nay about the big fight. I may want more feedback about it.

Edited by Sheckly

3 hours ago, thelamp said:

Cool map! I liked the big fight at the end

Thanks for playing my map! I do realize that maybe I should reveal the red key door before you actually get the red key, if you happen to miss it, so that you know WHAT you need to progress at least.

Great map, I especially enjoyed the last arena and the "imp cage" secret, lots of awesome infighting. Well balanced with ammo etc.

Played using Gzdoom on UV but couldn't get 100% kills, I think two monsters got stuck in the ground next to the "lake" with the cacos, I could hear demons grunting but couldn't see them. 

7 hours ago, DoomBerry said:

Great map, I especially enjoyed the last arena and the "imp cage" secret, lots of awesome infighting. Well balanced with ammo etc.

Played using Gzdoom on UV but couldn't get 100% kills, I think two monsters got stuck in the ground next to the "lake" with the cacos, I could hear demons grunting but couldn't see them. 

Thanks for playing the map! I'm glad you liked it! If there are any mappers out there, could you give me insight as to how this "Stuck monster" problem could have happened, and how to fix it using Ultimate Doom Builder?

Solid work for your early mapping. I can confirm monsters get stuck in ground outside, it's probably a nodebuilder issue. Try a better/another one. Also you forgot to make linedefs 1436 etc. impassable. Overall dificulty isn't high, but I think you overdid the blue key trap. If the player doesn't know about the invulnerability secret, they can become easily cornered by the barons in the narrow corridors. And at the same time, player still has only relatively little ammo for the plasma gun and RL.

Nice map, there's a few computer bank textures that cut off half way through a screen, and the tops of your crates seem to use one of the floor flats instead of crate tops, neither of those things are show stoppers just polish.  Although I preferred the first half to the second

Spoiler

I went down the left into the big fight then smacked the first button up the stairs, took the corner teleporter out and then was essentially stuck luring batches of monsters up the lift so I could murder enough of them to clear out the lift and tunnel to get back down there which was a huge faff with limited ammo, I doubt I'd have made it without the secret for extra health/ammo.

Once I'd gotten through there the big room didn't seem to offer the same clean direction that the earlier part of the map had on offer, I cleared things up, hit some buttons, killed things, then went and got a red key without really know what it was for.  You'd clearly telegraphed there was going to be a big fight there so I knew it was coming but I found the mix of monsters awkward more than fun - you basically have to go BFG the Arch-Viles as priority one, but the quantity of Pain Elementals just flooded the area with lost souls to the point where fighting the Cyberdemons was a trudge to avoid getting stuck on scenery or a Lost Soul while manoeuvring around them.  The last little segment through the red door felt more like the first half of the map, nice small encounters with interesting pop-open door fights, also the three Arch-Viles in there felt like a nasty way to end things so that worked (you duck away from the first 2, get one in the back).

Overall I liked it, but I feel the middle section could do with some tweaking although possibly others just like that stuff more than me :)

16 hours ago, Sheckly said:

Thanks for playing the map! I'm glad you liked it! If there are any mappers out there, could you give me insight as to how this "Stuck monster" problem could have happened, and how to fix it using Ultimate Doom Builder?

Not sure how to fix as I'm not much of a mapper! I'm guessing they are supposed raise from the ground at some point and maybe got missed by the linedef trigger?

Coordinates are roughly X:200 Y: 4789

16 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Solid work for your early mapping. I can confirm monsters get stuck in ground outside, it's probably a nodebuilder issue. Try a better/another one. Also you forgot to make linedefs 1436 etc. impassable. Overall dificulty isn't high, but I think you overdid the blue key trap. If the player doesn't know about the invulnerability secret, they can become easily cornered by the barons in the narrow corridors. And at the same time, player still has only relatively little ammo for the plasma gun and RL.

Agree, died several times here. Maybe swap a couple of barons for revenants (that way you can use more infighting too)?