Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0l0t0v

big sky try???

How do I put a sky bigger than the usual 256x128 pixels in my pwad?

I've seen pwads with such skies (like STRAIN.wad), but I have failed to do it myself. Can I use NWT for this? If yes: how? If no: what program do I need and how do I need to use it?

Thanks a bunch!

You have to use a source port with look up/down for this:

For Legacy, create a 256x240 patch (replacing rsky1, 2 or 3) and just stick it in using Wintex (you could probably use NWT, but I don't know if it will accept patches that big or not, given NWT's age).

For ZDoom, you need to create a 256x240 patch, but you will need to edit the texture lump as well - go to the texture editor in DeePsea or XWE (the others can't do textures that big) find the sky texture you're replacing and change it's dimensions from 256x128 to 256x240.

tip: If you're modifying a 256x128 sky (and you're using ZDoom), make the patch and texture 256x227, place the original 256x128 patch at the bottom of the new 256x227 patch, add the rest of the new sky on top of that and when you play DooM with it, the sky will appear like it did in the original game if you're looking straight ahead.

Those are the ports I can do it with, I don't know how to do it with the other ports.

Regular Doom lets you use skies up to 1024x128 (actually a bit wider, but the rest won't be visible). All you have to do is resize the texture in the TEXTURE1 lump.

There are 2 types of bigger - taller and wider.

Taller skies may require non old tools to insert into a WAD. I know DeePSea does it, and I'm pretty sure XWE does too. Dunno about anything else. Then you'd still need to resize the texture definition to make the sky taller.

Wider ones are usually made by using 4 256x128 patches in a 1024x128 texture. The reason this width is desirable is that the sky becomes a 360 degree sky with no repeats at that width.

Of course you can make a 1024x240 sky if you want, and although I've not tested it, I believe you can use hi-res textures for skies in Zdoom so that is kind of even bigger.

I am making a demo ZDoom level using 1024x512 pixel sky textures, You can have a 2048x1024 pixel highres texture made into 1024x512 double resolusion or you can have a 1024x640 texture, no problem.

for an example you can look at my SPZDoom2 in COMBO directories.

m0l0t0v said:

How do I put a sky bigger than the usual 256x128 pixels in my pwad?

Ultimate DooMer already said this, but it bears repeating -- to take advantage of tall sky graphics your wad should be designed for a source port that allows looking up and down. There's no point doing it for vanilla DooM.

I gather he's talking about long (up to 360°) skies, as Fredrik first explained, not tall ones. Note his example; STRAIN.

myk said:

Note his example; STRAIN.

You are quite correct. I had forgotten about STRAIN having wrap-around skies.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Enjay:
...The reason this width is desirable is that the sky becomes a 360 degree sky with no repeats at that width.

Yep, that's exactly what I want!

Enjay:
Wider ones are usually made by using 4 256x128 patches in a 1024x128 texture...

Fredrik:
All you have to do is resize the texture in the TEXTURE1 lump.

How do I do that? What editor do I need?

m0l0t0v said:

How do I do that? What editor do I need?

You would select the texture whose size you want to modify (e.g. SKY1) and change the width from 256 to 1024. Then you'd insert your 4 sky patches and adjust the alignment so that they fill the texture. (Obviously, this method makes sense only if you have 4 different sky patches.)

You could do this with XWE, DeepSea, or WinTex.