Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Free64Doom

So we tried merging NJ Doom into it, but it wouldnt load properly. I think I may be out of my element in merging vanilla doom wads onto Freedoom, as I think I might be messing something up on my end.

12 hours ago, RagnarRandom said:

what emulator should i use to the run this rom?

project64 crashes when i boot the rom

That is a good question. I actually dont know for sure since I run it on hardware.

I know Project 64 isnt accurate enough for 64Doom (and likely 1964 would have problems too). I think you will have better luck with Ares, Simple64, or Mupen64, as these are more accurate emulators.

Also to update peeps, 64Doom likely will be updated soon, which could enhance compatibility. I know some bug fixes and optimizations are implemented.

I don't believe any N64 emulator can run it other than CEN64 which isn't suitable for gameplay (and even then it still has issues). 64Doom utilises the N64 hardware in a strange way if I recall, it's not written like a normal N64 game, and because most N64 emulators are hacked together to run games since the system is relatively complicated, it's just not compatible.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:54 AM, RagnarRandom said:

what emulator should i use to the run this rom?

project64 crashes when i boot the rom

Simple64 runs it, apparently.

9 hours ago, 8bitdboy said:

Simple64 runs it, apparently.

Oh wow I'm pleasantly surprised. We've come a long way I guess. It's glitchy but it works. Though I don't know how I can disable the awful filter that Parallel enables by default. Now if only we could do away with the awful plugins system, then we can call it even steven. Wish I could compile 64Doom on Linux so I could try out Doom 1 with music.

925223787_Screenshotfrom2023-05-1517-42-49.png.8a499c0d86006944bf6991fbdbf396ac.png

Edited by Individualised

Now all we need is to get Aubrey Hodges or someone else to compose a dark ambient soundtrack replacement for Freedoom! :D

On 5/10/2023 at 5:48 PM, Individualised said:

Is this a thing??? I was gonna make a .WAD for Doom 64 for Doom 2 that replaces all of the assets with Doom 64 ones to try and make it as close to Doom 64 as can be possible in vanilla but if it already exists that's great. Then we could use it to port Doom 64 to GBA :D

Too late 🤪

I already made it but it only works properly on PrBoom Hardware render and in ZDoom/Zandro/GzD.

It's based on D64ifier GZDoom mod.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-d64ifier/downloads/d64ifier-for-gl-prboomprboomzdoom

At first, I thought this gonna be a Freedoom equivalent to Doom 64 itself. That would have been interesting to see.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:15 AM, SealSpace said:

At first, I thought this gonna be a Freedoom equivalent to Doom 64 itself. That would have been interesting to see.

We have dreams of it happening one day! I can definitely help on the music/sound/texture end. But we dont have enough spriting experience in the community to finish such a big undertaking.

21 hours ago, Immorpher said:

We have dreams of it happening one day! I can definitely help on the music/sound/texture end. But we dont have enough spriting experience in the community to finish such a big undertaking.

Sprites would be better off 3D modelled as they are in the original Doom 64. The main issue with doing Freedoom 64 is vanilla compatibility. You can't just load a .wad in Vanilla Doom 64 like you can in PC Doom. Yes you can patch the .ROM to replace the internally stored .WAD but it can be a pain. Then you have to make sure it works with all of the source ports which are reverse engineered and might have incompatibilities with stuff that would work in vanilla Doom 64...

19 minutes ago, Individualised said:

Sprites would be better off 3D modelled as they are in the original Doom 64. The main issue with doing Freedoom 64 is vanilla compatibility. You can't just load a .wad in Vanilla Doom 64 like you can in PC Doom. Yes you can patch the .ROM to replace the internally stored .WAD but it can be a pain. Then you have to make sure it works with all of the source ports which are reverse engineered and might have incompatibilities with stuff that would work in vanilla Doom 64...

There's updates on this front on loading WADs into the ROM. But we'll need some tools to convert the assets to the right formats since they arent in the same format as PC Doom.

Interestingly the music and sound files are stored outside of the WAD in the ROM. And we havent done much work in figuring out those formats. It's midway specific we assume.

17 hours ago, Immorpher said:

JNMartin updated the 64Doom codebase, which included some updates from @the_kovic, so I rebuilt Freedoom with it. I haven't thoroughly tested it, but music seems to be working! Get the N64 ROM below...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efrdywfjzexh31b/Free64Doom.zip?dl=1

Trying to compile Doom 1 with the latest source... apparently what I did was so offensive that it crashes the whole emulator. This is where I get up to: image.png.83bee8029d9e58ea411235be9050439b.png

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

Trying to compile Doom 1 with the latest source... apparently what I did was so offensive that it crashes the whole emulator. This is where I get up to: 

Try changing doom.WAD to DOOM.WAD, and when building it refer it to as DOOM.WAD. I know the makefile can be sensitive to this.

Just now, Immorpher said:

Try changing doom.WAD to DOOM.WAD, and when building it refer it to as DOOM.WAD. I know the makefile can be sensitive to this.

I suspected this but no dice even after trying.

5 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I suspected this but no dice even after trying.

I DMed you on discord with files!

2 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I DMed you on discord with files!

I have no idea who you have on Discord but it's not me. I only recently made a Discord account, it's not under the identity I use on Doomworld and I have not used it for any Doom stuff. What account did you message?

Just now, Individualised said:

I have no idea who you have on Discord but it's not me. I only recently made a Discord account, it's not under the identity I use on Doomworld and have not used it for any Doom stuff. Who did you actually dm?

I'll DM you on doomworld instead and see if I can attach the files.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:51 PM, Redneckerz said:

As always Demonfear. Lets start easy.  Maybe Reverie?

Looks like Demonfear is a good start as I was able to build a WAD with it and a ROM. I think a few asset bugs should be fixed eventually but this could be a potential free N64 ROM, perhaps "Xenofear", since Freedoom is full of aliens?

I will post ROM builds and updates in this directory: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/az86jiarfh8w10m/AADGw_6fKKQrQcUUtUKonbqVa?dl=0

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Why do the sound effects sound so much deeper in the video?

Not sure! Must be something with the 64Doom engine. Maybe the samplerate needs to be adjusted?

17 minutes ago, 8bitdboy said:

It seems the DemonFear and FreeDooM2 roms are the same.

I just updated the files in the dropbox. They should be different once you load into the first level.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:57 PM, Immorpher said:

I just updated the files in the dropbox. They should be different once you load into the first level.

It's working now. Can't get past the second level in DF, tho.

2 hours ago, 8bitdboy said:

It's working now. Can't get past the second level in DF, tho.

This level?

I played on an easier difficulty! I also accidentally gave myself cheats at one part by pressing L+R, but I reset after that. I also compiled Freedoom 1 with the wrong IWAD setting, so I need to recompile it with the Ultimate Doom setting.

I must say this is a very cool project.

However, from what I gather, 64Doom is a straight port of PC Doom to N64, without the fancy bells and whistles of the Doom64 engine like coloured lighting, right? I wonder if those could be implemented as well, or is this not the scope of the project?

It certainly would be interesting to have a unique version of Freed∞m for N64, but unless there are artists willing to redo all sprites, doesn't seem very likely. There are, however, pre-rendered monsters by @Nmn at OpenGameArt under the CC0 license, which have originally been created for another project (so they don't look anything like Freed∞m creatures), so if someone wanted to twist Freed∞m64 into something else altogether then maybe this could be a good start.

7 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

However, from what I gather, 64Doom is a straight port of PC Doom to N64, without the fancy bells and whistles of the Doom64 engine like coloured lighting, right? I wonder if those could be implemented as well, or is this not the scope of the project?

Indeed colored lighting is possible! Probably would be implemented PSX Doom style at first since that is software-render friendly. Doom 64 gradient lighting is done via hardware vertex shading. Whether JNMartin will implement this anytime soon its unlikely, although he will accept a push request which implements it. Right now he's focused on optimizing the performance of 64Doom on the N64.

We've made progress on implementing custom stuff in the Doom 64 engine. Still some work to do in getting tools to format assets properly in it. But it seems we've been able to get the engine to run even faster than it originally was on release; and it ran pretty good on the N64 originally anyway.