Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Free64Doom

On 6/1/2023 at 9:09 AM, MrFlibble said:

I must say this is a very cool project.

However, from what I gather, 64Doom is a straight port of PC Doom to N64, without the fancy bells and whistles of the Doom64 engine like coloured lighting, right? I wonder if those could be implemented as well, or is this not the scope of the project?

It certainly would be interesting to have a unique version of Freed∞m for N64, but unless there are artists willing to redo all sprites, doesn't seem very likely. There are, however, pre-rendered monsters by @Nmn at OpenGameArt under the CC0 license, which have originally been created for another project (so they don't look anything like Freed∞m creatures), so if someone wanted to twist Freed∞m64 into something else altogether then maybe this could be a good start.

That's not what this is, this is just trying to get Freedoom working on 64Doom, which is meant to be simply a port of PC Doom to the N64. There is talks of a "Freedoom 64" happening though but it will be a while before it's feasible due to vanilla (Doom 64, not PC Doom/64Doom. Custom content in Doom 64 hasn't been fully figured out yet so most Doom 64 .WADs are currently made for the Nightdive remaster) compatibility reasons.

Those pre-rendered monsters are very Doom 64 styled though. They'd work great as placeholders before 3D renders of the Freedoom monsters are made for Freedoom 64.

On 6/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, Individualised said:

Those pre-rendered monsters are very Doom 64 styled though. They'd work great as placeholders before 3D renders of the Freedoom monsters are made for Freedoom 64.

The Stability Officer could definitely work as a Wolfenstein SS replacement!

41 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

The Stability Officer could definitely work as a Wolfenstein SS replacement!

There's no Wolfenstein SS in vanilla Doom 64. It only has some Doom 1 and 2 monsters, it doesn't even have revenants or chaingunners, and on the Doom 1 side it's missing the spider mastermind. Some source ports re-add them.

4 hours ago, Individualised said:

There's no Wolfenstein SS in vanilla Doom 64.

I am well aware of this. I just do not expect a Freedoom project done in the style of Doom 64 to be a 1:1 recreation. ;)

43 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am well aware of this. I just do not expect a Freedoom project done in the style of Doom 64 to be a 1:1 recreation. ;)

But it wouldn't be a Freedoom project in the style of Doom 64... it would be a Freedoom project for Doom 64. Just like how Freedoom: Phase 1 is a Freedoom project for Doom 1, and Freedoom: Phase 2 is a Freedoom project for Doom 2.

Edited by Individualised

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

But it wouldn't be a Freedoom project in the style of Doom 64... it would be a Freedoom project for Doom 64. Just like how Freedoom: Phase 1 is a Freedoom project for Doom 1, and Freedoom: Phase 2 is a Freedoom project for Doom 2.

What I mean is that if you manage to accurate port Freedoom: Phase 1 and 2 on the N64, why abide by Doom 64's original limitations?

28 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

What I mean is that if you manage to accurate port Freedoom: Phase 1 and 2 on the N64, why abide by Doom 64's original limitations?

Because... it would be a Freedoom project for Doom 64. What you're describing sounds like a separate project. It would be a .WAD that you can play in vanilla compatible Doom 64 ports without owning Doom 64, and if you want you could also inject it into a Doom 64 ROM as it's vanilla compatible or even play it on real hardware.

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

Because... it would be a Freedoom project for Doom 64. What you're describing sounds like a separate project. It would be a .WAD that you can play in vanilla compatible Doom 64 ports without owning Doom 64, and if you want you could also inject it into a Doom 64 ROM as it's vanilla compatible or even play it on real hardware.

So something that runs on the KEX Engine?

My point is that since there is no reason to work within Doom 64's original limitations, there is also no reason not to throw in replacements for the monsters that vanilla Doom 64 ended up excluding, in case people want to use them for custom mapsets and such.

17 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

So something that runs on the KEX Engine?

My point is that since there is no reason to work within Doom 64's original limitations, there is also no reason not to throw in replacements for the monsters that vanilla Doom 64 ended up excluding, in case people want to use them for custom mapsets and such.

I still don't understand your point. The KEX Engine is a framework, not a game engine. The Quake remaster uses it too. Doom 64 remaster is still id Tech 1. The Doom 64 remaster is compatible with original game data as is Quake with original Quake data.

Why doesn't Freedoom: Phase 1 take advantage of all sorts of fancy GZDoom features? There's no reason to work within Doom 1's original limitations, right? The point is that the Freedoom projects are substitutes for the original game data and are compatible with the original game executables.

Edited by Individualised

15 minutes ago, Individualised said:

I still don't understand your point. The KEX Engine is a framework, not a game engine. The Quake remaster uses it too. Doom 64 remaster is still id Tech 1. The Doom  64 remaster is compatible with original game data as is Quake with original Quake data. 

Why doesn't Freedoom: Phase 1 take advantage of all sorts of fancy GZDoom features? There's no reason to work within Doom 1's original limitations, right? The point is that the Freedoom projects are substitutes for the original game data and are compatible with the original game executables.

I guess the feeling is mutual. :S

Your Freedoom: Phase 1 does not quite work because both Freedoom Phases are included in the same package: that means that there are features present that are not used by one of the Phases, yet they are still there in case they might be needed.

Let us try this, then: ideally, how would a hypothetical "Freedoom: Phase 64" work, exactly? How would it differ from the current Freedoom package that can already be used to run all sorts of custom mapsets that takes advantage of GZDoom's capabilities?

In fact, why not just make a Freedoom: Phase 2 mapset inspired by Doom 64 instead?

That's the thing. There's no standard .WAD layout for Doom 64 due to the various source ports and their differences from vanilla. We'd have to fully figure out vanilla Doom 64 modding first. I know progress has been made.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Your Freedoom: Phase 1 does not quite work because both Freedoom Phases are included in the same package: that means that there are features present that are not used by one of the Phases, yet they are still there in case they might be needed.

No they don't. I just checked and Phase 1 only contains replacements for Doom 1 assets.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Let us try this, then: ideally, how would a hypothetical "Freedoom: Phase 64" work, exactly? How would it differ from the current Freedoom package that can already be used to run all sorts of custom mapsets that takes advantage of GZDoom's capabilities?

The same way Freedoom currently works for PC Doom 1 and 2, except for Doom 64. Remember that Doom 64 is not compatible with current PC Doom source ports, not even GZDoom. To play Doom 64 through GZDoom you have to use Doom CE. GZDoom is irrelevant here.

2 minutes ago, Individualised said:

No they don't. I just checked and Phase 1 only contains replacements for Doom 1 assets.

I know, but like I said, Phases 1 and 2 are part of the same package. You do not have to download them separately.

5 minutes ago, Individualised said:

The same way Freedoom currently works for PC Doom 1 and 2, except for Doom 64. Remember that Doom 64 is not compatible with current PC Doom source ports, not even GZDoom. To play Doom 64 through GZDoom you have to use Doom CE. GZDoom is irrelevant here.

I am pretty sure there are Doom 64 and even Playstation Doom recreations that are contained in a single pk3 file that can be run on GZDoom.

Again, what would a "Freedoom: Phase 64" entail? It would have to be a mapset that has been designed on a Doom 64 level builder?

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I know, but like I said, Phases 1 and 2 are part of the same package. You do not have to download them separately.

I don't see how this is relevant.

I am pretty sure there are Doom 64 and even Playstation Doom recreations that are contained in a single pk3 file that can be run on GZDoom.

GZDoom is still irrelevant here, but yes Doom CE is one such project.

Again, what would a "Freedoom: Phase 64" entail? It would have to be a mapset that has been designed on a Doom 64 level builder?

Exactly. Think of it as just a new IWAD for Doom 64. Freedoom isn't the only project of its kind, see LibreQuake: https://github.com/MissLav/LibreQuake

10 minutes ago, Individualised said:

Exactly. Think of it as just a new IWAD for Doom 64.

Ah, okay. Now I think I get it. And it would only be playable on DZDoom and Doom 64EX? Those are the only Doom 64 source ports I could find.

Just now, Rudolph said:

Ah, okay. Now I think I get it. And it would only be playable on ports such as DZDoom and Doom 64EX?

Yeah, and the end goal would be to be able to run it on real hardware too. Sorry if I explained things in a confusing way. After all this is all just a vague idea that a few people have had, it's not even something that is officially condoned by the Freedoom team, unless they want to in the future. Nothing has actually been done with it. You can find the original proposal thread elsewhere in this sub-forum.

It is possible to make a "Freedoom" style WAD compatible with Doom 64 Remaster and Doom 64 EX+. @Jetx_121 invented a method of using starting macro spawns which allows bonus enemies from EX+ to show up in EX+, while in remaster they get replaced with normal Doom 64 enemies.

Significant progress has been made on Doom 64 for the N64 recently. So I am confident to say the theoretical WAD I talked about, could be converted to the Doom 64 asset formats and run in a modified Doom 64 RE code on the N64 with future tools. We're partway there now, just need to keep figuring things out.

Any chance I could maybe lend a hand with this? I worked on porting FreeDoom to the Gameboy Advanced.

As you can tell by my Avatar I'm also a lover of the Nintendo 64. =)

@8bitdboy

2 hours ago, RetroGamer02 said:

Any chance I could maybe lend a hand with this? I worked on porting FreeDoom to the Gameboy Advanced.

As you can tell by my Avatar I'm also a lover of the Nintendo 64. =)

@8bitdboy

Oh yes! The latest version is open source on github. JNMartin is happy to take push requests with improvements. https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/

And I can send you what I have been working with too, just need to hunt it down again. Discord is often the best place to get ahold of me, but other places is fine too. Feel free to DM me!

On 5/10/2023 at 11:51 PM, Individualised said:

The ultimate irony would be to try out Doom 64 for Doom 2 on 64Doom (It does use DEHACKED for custom monsters and other things but I think at least the first map should be fine)

The real maximal irony is if someone modifies Doom 64 total conversion inside 64Doom, and or manages to program 64Doom to run Doom 64