Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christian Ck.

Can you make doom into a Roguelike?

As an emotion, hatred can be short-lived or long-lasting.[2] It can be of low intensity - 'I hate broccoli' - or high intensity: 'I hate the whole world'.[3] In some cases, hatred can be a learned response from external influences, such as from being abused, misled, or manipulated. As a general rule, hatred is the deep psychological response to feeling trapped or being unable to understand certain sociological phenomena. Robert Sternberg saw three main elements in hatred:

a negation of intimacy, by creating distance when closeness had become threatening;

an infusion of passion, such as fear or anger;

a decision to devalue a previously valued object.[2]

The important self-protective function, to be found in hatred,[4] can be illustrated by Steinberg's analysis of 'mutinous' hatred, whereby a dependent relationship is repudiated in a quest for autonomy.[5]

Edited by Endy McGufin : bad grammar

I vaguely toyed around with something like this, but I definitely lack the skill. You'd probably need to have a big level filled with map fragments that all have several potential exits, each with dummy Line_SetPortal linedefs. Then upon opening the map, you dynamically link fragments to one another with Line_SetPortalTarget. Which is easier said than done. A big problem is connecting things in a coherent way. Presumably, you'd want adjacent map fragments to link back to each other and not have a whole non-euclidean thing going on. And you'd also need to have some way of making sure that a level is reasonably completeable.

I remember that long ago, @Nash experimented with randomly-generated dungeons with ACS. The basic idea is to have a large map of regular rooms, and you can then randomly open or close the pathways between them to make the overall layout of the maze random.

Li'l White Mouse's Bittersweet is also worth a look, for a very early example of this kind of things. It's unfinished and also, for some reason, features lesbian bondage nuns so  it's in the x-rated part of the /idgames archive; but you can ignore that and just look at how the thing works: there's a "hub" level and a "dungeon" level, and each time you return to the dungeon level it is reset, retextured, enemies are respawned, etc. That was done in 2006; now with portals and ZScript you could go much, much further beyond.

13 hours ago, Gez said:

I remember that long ago, @Nash experimented with randomly-generated dungeons with ACS. The basic idea is to have a large map of regular rooms, and you can then randomly open or close the pathways between them to make the overall layout of the maze random.

Li'l White Mouse's Bittersweet is also worth a look, for a very early example of this kind of things. It's unfinished and also, for some reason, features lesbian bondage nuns so  it's in the x-rated part of the /idgames archive; but you can ignore that and just look at how the thing works: there's a "hub" level and a "dungeon" level, and each time you return to the dungeon level it is reset, retextured, enemies are respawned, etc. That was done in 2006; now with portals and ZScript you could go much, much further beyond.

Now that you mentioned HUBs, I wonder if you can somhow do it with the hub system of hexen or even strife.