Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
continuum.mid

[/idgames] Double Impact MIDI Pack - a community soundtrack for Double Impact and Freedoom E4

3S0Egc.png

Download at /idgames

Also available at:

The Internet Archive

OpenGameArt

Bandcamp

YouTube

Few Ultimate Doom WADs have stood the test of time quite as well as the 2011 E1 replacement "Double Impact" by @RottKing and @Ralphis, a collection of sprawling techbases with agile action. In addition to being released as a standalone PWAD, Double Impact became the fourth episode of the IWAD replacement Freedoom: Phase 1 in 2013, and in 2020 became an official add-on for the Unity port of Doom, introducing it to a wider audience than even the best Doom WADs usually receive.

One small flaw in this otherwise great WAD is its incomplete soundtrack. The original PWAD contained two original tracks and two remixes of Bobby Prince's music. In Freedoom, due to the limitations of the engine, Double Impact simply reuses music from the first three episodes, in the same pattern that Ultimate Doom's fourth episode did, meaning that the music selections fit only a little better than random chance. This project fixes that flaw by providing a new soundtrack for the WAD that can be used with both the PWAD and Freedoom: Phase 1, and which, in the spirit of Freedoom, is absolutely free to reuse and remix. All contributors have explicitly given permission to dedicate their work to the public domain.

Three WADs are included in the ZIP file: dbmid_e1.wad replaces all non-original tracks in the Double Impact PWAD; dbmid_e4.wad replaces the tracks for maps in Freedoom's fourth episode; and dbmide4v.wad replaces the tracks that are reused by E4 maps in vanilla source ports for use Freedoom's fourth episode.

Track listing:

Development thread

Edited by continuum.mid

Congratulations on the release! Always stunning to see what great music keeps being made by this community. Hundreds of cool tracks a year, it just blows the mind! Please keep at it!

In the absence of any comments on the previous release, I've decided to release an update to 1.0, and this is the version I will submit to /idgames. Here's what's new:

• DeHackEd file for dbimid_e1.wad containing par times from the official addon release, thanks to a former Doomworld user who emailed me, who went by "Pringao friki chalado."
  • Corrected par times in ZMAPINFO for dbmid_e4.wad to match DeHacked. Other MAPINFO dialects, which did not require par times, were left unchanged so as not to interfere with the par times in Freedoom.
  • CC0 now applies to just the MIDIs, not the full WADs. I suppose the damage was already done with the previous releases, but I think it's more respectful to use a standard /idgames license for the WADs due to the MAPINFO largely being based on the Ultimate MIDI Pack, which in turn borrowed from built-in files of some source ports.
  • Revised text file.

It's available on The Internet Archive now (direct download: https://archive.org/download/dbimmidi/dbimmidi-1.0.zip)

I've uploaded it to /idgames, so you can keep an eye out for that, and I should be able to upload the recordings in that archive (using Fluidsynth and an SC-55 soundfont, nothing fancy) to OpenGameArt and YouTube soon.

Edited by continuum.mid

Great job to all involved! It’s been a couple years since I last played this - what a great excuse to give it a spin!

Thank you so much for the MIDI pack!

This MIDI pack has been approved for the /idgames archive! This should be the final update - enjoy!

Edit: I swear I made some changes to the text file that aren't reflected in the idgames upload... but I'm not sure how to (or whether I should) replace it. At least everyone is properly credited!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/dbimmidi

Still need to edit together a YouTube upload, and since I have a job starting soon I don't know when I'll be able to do that.

Edited by continuum.mid

This MIDI pack is now part of Freedoom!

In future autobuilds, and presumably the upcoming version 0.13, this MIDI pack will be the official soundtrack of Episode 4: Double Impact. It and the levels may see significant changes from future Freedoom contributors. No MAPINFO is included in Freedoom, so the music will only differ in ports that play D_E4M(1-9) for the corresponding maps by default, such as Crispy Doom.