Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serum

Looking for lesser-known horror media

Halloween is no where near. Despite that, I'm on the hunt for the scariest of the scary. I know there's a lot of obvious super famous stuff out there - Stephen King books, The Exorcist, F.E.A.R, Hereditary, etc. etc. etc.

Ergo, I come here hoping to find some lesser-known stuff. Whether it's a movie, a book, a videogame - anything that left a big impression on you and might not plastered on an immediate Google search of "scariest ___ ever".

Y'all got any recommendations?

Not exactly obscure, but there's a YouTuber who goes by Pamtri, Pamtri makes weird, creepy, and often times gross-feeling animations.
(Note: Some of his videos take themselves less seriously than others, and some videos start off hilarious, but quickly turn horrifying, his latest video being an example of the latter)

https://www.youtube.com/@pamtri/videos

There's also this video, not by Pamtri, but it is somewhat obscure, starts off all cute then turns to pure horror:

There's also this video which scared the SHIT out of me when I was 15, I had an irrational fear of mirrors for a MONTH after seeing this short:

Mondo Cane (1962) is a pretty disturbing documentary that is sort of along the same lines as the Faces of Death series. It isn’t the scariest thing on earth but it is a bit unsettling and worth watching at least once. It’s on YouTube for free now. 

I could offer a lot of suggestions so what I'll do is try and categorise them a bit, but I'll start with the really big thing for me.

Devilman. Now, Netflix funded an anniversary series that got some attention in 2018, and it's not bad but I'm not gonna recommend that, I don't think it was as good as the 1973 manga it adapts, nor as good as my personal favourite thing of all time, the 1998 spin off Devilman Lady; hell I'm writing my own adaptation of that series because I love it so much, my general goal is to be a horror writer of original work but when I decided I needed a project to kind of boost my motivation a bit it's really worked out. Also there are the 1987 and 1990 Devilman movies which were my first exposure to Devilman like 23 years ago. If you're in North America, Discotek released those movies and the DML anime on blu ray, and the latter is available digitally on Amazon but it's also on TMS' youtube channel in it's entirety. If the fanfic I'm writing's of any interest to you, I'm uploading on deviantart at the moment, under the same user name. And I'm recommending this on the basis I don't care it's anime, it's just my favourite story period. 

With that out of the way, uh, lets see. I'm not sure how obscure is obscure to you, I imagine some of these should qualify at least. 

Movies: Split Second, The Psychic\7 Notes in Black, The Cemetary Man, The Exorcist: Legion (the only good but honestly awesome sequel), Ginger Snaps, ReAnimator, The People Under the Stairs, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Deep Red, Phenomena, Tenebrae, Suspiria, Inferno, Opera, Don't Torture a Duckling, Society, Scanners, Videodrome, In the Mouth of Madness, Prince of Darkness

For videogames I'll just say Clock Tower, I don't think there's too many excellent horror games that aren't quite well known. 

*edit*, Oh, I did forget one indie freeware adventure horror game that I thought was kind of impressive, The White Chamber. It was apparently being remastered but that started almost a decade ago, not sure if it's still coming or not. 

Edited by hybridial

I would recommend The Last Broadcast (1998), they made it for less than a thousand bucks back in the 1990s, but the movie can be rather effective at times. It is a found footage horror flick, but it actually came just before The Blair Witch Project craze.

These are my top 3 horror movies (not only in terms of being scary themselves, but also quite good plot- and logic-wise)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703199/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_grave%20en

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1_tt_7_nm_0_q_rec

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245112/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_7_nm_0_q_rec

As for the games, there's only one that frightens me so much, that even more than 10 years later since I've played it, I still get goosebumps. It's a portugese indie horror called insanidade

On 5/13/2023 at 5:05 AM, Chocolate_Doomer said:

There's also this video, not by Pamtri, but it is somewhat obscure, starts off all cute then turns to pure horror

Oh, Lacey lost flash games! That is a pretty interesting analog horror experience, thinking especially that possibly a game like that will been existed, i suggest to take a look at this as well:

Another good was the failed (i think) ARG of Gilbert Garfield, a thing that born as a parody of analog \ creepypasta stories and then evolves in a wild run trough social media, fake Italian cartoon studios that hides a more sleazy market and more disturbing endeavors.

Part 1 explanation
Part 2

This is a cool movie. It stars CM Punk.

and also this, as I dont think anyone has mentioned it.

Enjoy.