Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pezl

Why do people put exits in deathmatch maps?

Hello guys, I'm currently working on my deathmatch megawad and I was wondering why do people put exit switches into maps? What if one of players uses the switch while others want to play untill timer ends, I'd like to get any reason for that and also, should I put them into my maps too? Thanks for any replies if so!

Alright thank you guys, I will add them then. See it seems important. ;)

Worth noting that in modern deathmatch focused ports, disabling the exit is explicitly an option, so there's no worry about people using it at the wrong time.

It’s good to have exits in deathmatch maps for sure. For one, like Edward said, it is sometimes the only way to exit the level if players want to move to the next map if they’re playing under certain conditions. Second, in many deathmatch servers the exit is disabled and instead instagibs anyone who attempts to activate it. This is usually done by curious players who will then learn to not do that, but it’s also often used as a suicide switch. There’s a few reasons why people would deliberately do that, mostly has to do with saving yourself from giving an opponent a frag if you’re close to death already, can be used to respawn elsewhere in the map to get a better position within the map, etc. Oh, and having an exit also allows people to explore deathmatch map WADs with multiple levels. This can allow them to survey the battlefield and get a better understanding of what battle plans could work when deathmatching without having to use warp cheats or commands. 

This is giving me ideas of a "DM-race" thing where the objective is to hit the exit switch while holding the lead in frags...

On 5/13/2023 at 2:55 AM, Edward850 said:

Because in vanilla Doom, it's traditionally the only way to end the map in deathmatch. Time limit wasn't added until later, and there's no frag limit at all. Plus it's just plain useful to have.

When was it added? Asking for my own DM set.

The pvp standard ever since the introduction of time/frag limits has been setting the exit button as an instant death switch. This tactic is mostly used in 1v1 situations to gain full health in tight games.

Exits as actual exits has been frowned upon and generally people (particularly larger groups of random players) dislike when someone arbitrarily decides to exit the map (whether because they believe they can get a higher score or are just enjoying the map). Callvotes exist for a reason.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

The pvp standard ever since the introduction of time/frag limits has been setting the exit button as an instant death switch. This tactic is mostly used in 1v1 situations to gain full health in tight games.

Exits as actual exits has been frowned upon and generally people (particularly larger groups of random players) dislike when someone arbitrarily decides to exit the map (whether because they believe they can get a higher score or are just enjoying the map). Callvotes exist for a reason.

This is very helpful. Thanks!

I omitted exit switches from my maps because I didn't realize you could use them for anything besides the obvious. You reckon I should add them back in, considering my maps are for 2-6 people?

unless it's meant for 1v1, vanilla, or serves an explicit purpose such as holding a power up (in which case needs to be properly balanced), I wouldn't bother. Exit rooms disrupt flow and don't contribute anything other than cheap door trolling or momentary brief jaja xd's. No tactical/competitive player in a FFA is going to bother.