Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
W3Rn1ckz

Welcome to Planet Legolas: A GZDoom II Map Pack by W3Rn1ckz

Logo_transparent_big.png.4e113a4d758c8e228033084e4b806c3e.png

(or just Legolas for short)

This is legolas.wad, my first ever DooM wad. Based on Doom 2, it contains nine (9) relatively easy main levels and two (2) more difficult secret levels, with original music for each one. The whole set should take a little over an hour or two to get through.

The wad is meant to run (and was tested) in GZDoom. Freelook is allowed, and so are Jumping/crouching, but they aren't needed to complete the wad. And feel free to play it with whatever gameplay-altering mods you are comfortable with.

Click here for Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230510_152902.png.5c6cfa755ab545f08d9f6b4188791352.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230510_153011.png.d949e1a55869926d046c046defcbf4e6.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230510_153143.png.25dcd1559f49bc10bcd7f0c8c96e504b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230510_153309.png.f15adfa4e4d27457037a25ce4f067d24.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230510_153441.png.f5af20046161a21da39d035c34d73c1a.png

Level List:

Spoiler

MAP01: Infultrate

MAP02: Research Facility

MAP03: Miner Issue

MAP04: Factory Reset

(Secret)MAP11: The Real Factory

MAP05: It doesn't count

MAP06: Residential Area

MAP07: Apartment Complex

MAP08: Bunker Blast

MAP09: Librarbarian Invaders

(Secret)MAP10: We need to leave, now.

Changelog

Spoiler

5/15/23: Fixed up a few secrets here and there, as well as a couple minor texturing issues.

6/3/2023: Fixed some texture issues, and added an extra teleporter in the big pit in MAP10.

Wad is available to download on ItchIo

Please give feedback, I want this to be the best it can be!

Edited by W3Rn1ckz : Updated Changelog

i started playing this one and its really fun so far ! i adore how, even though u get rushed a lot by enemies, its not really to a point that it becomes particularly frustrating, it makes for a really nice n fun experience ! i also am in love with the little custom friends the player can find in different areas. my only real complaint is that in the first level it feels like ammo pickups might just be the littlest bit sparse which can make firefights in the latter half of it a bit hectic as i kept running out of ammo, but besides that its been a really fun time (i got to "the real factory" which might be one of the two secret levels ?) and im gonna probably finish it tomorrow. ill also say that the secrets feel easier to find than normal for doom maps, but thats not really a complaint or issue i have, just an observation.

also, the fake softlock in level two felt like something straight out of the fake softlocks in portal, genius stuff <3

Solid work, but overal difficulty is quite low. I played from pistol starts since MAP03, but I don't think my health ever dropped below 70%. There are some traps, but somehow it was almost always obvious to me they're there. I played in GZdoom 4.10.0 and noticed some problems:

MAP02: isn't soulsphere near exit supposed to be secret? Also, 100% items is impossible because an armor bonus near start is unreachable.

MAP03: the exit lift is poorly designed, the player can trigger it and back out, with no way to get back in.

MAP06: sector 169 shouldn't be secret.

MAP08: sector 310 shouldn't be secret.

MAP11: misaligned ceiling texture in sector 150.

12 hours ago, RataUnderground said:

Is there a story behind the name of the pack? : p

Not really, I just needed a name for the wad and the first thing that came to mind was the name of the spry young elf from Lord of the Rings for some reason.

15 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Solid work, but overal difficulty is quite low. I played from pistol starts since MAP03, but I don't think my health ever dropped below 70%. There are some traps, but somehow it was almost always obvious to me they're there. I played in GZdoom 4.10.0 and noticed some problems:

MAP02: isn't soulsphere near exit supposed to be secret? Also, 100% items is impossible because an armor bonus near start is unreachable.

MAP03: the exit lift is poorly designed, the player can trigger it and back out, with no way to get back in.

MAP06: sector 169 shouldn't be secret.

MAP08: sector 310 shouldn't be secret.

MAP11: misaligned ceiling texture in sector 150.

Thanks for the heads up, these should be sorted now. Glad I figured out UDB's "find and replace" function.

I decided to give a this wad a try and recorded a couple of videos!

Pretty nice stuff you have here, I love the fact that you can clearly see the improvements in every map while you progress.

Probably the weakest of the set I think is map 5, followed by the miner issue, though I enjoyed my walk into this wad overall.

I suggest you to be careful with allowing jump and crouch, because they can be used to cheat some parts and get stuck in others.

Also, I was loving the little messages you "left" around the first maps, like some sort of funny easter eggs, but you completely stopped to do that in later maps for some reason :(

I don't know what's going on with the ending after map 9 and 10 (I forgot that map 10 was supposed to be a secret level, so I cheated my way there), but I get "stuck" with the Doom II credits screen.

Anyway, here's the videos:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Good wad, few minor bugs like the map10 ending and you need to jump back in to the previous level and use the other exit. Also agree the levels get better and better as you progress the wad, great work!

I think some of the traps could do with slight improvement, you can cheese almost all fights by triggering and just running away. Maybe lock the door behind the player in some places and set a timer for an exit to be opened.

Spoiler

Also in map10, in the "emerald green" room after you raise both bridges, if you fall down the pit towards the back of the room you are soft locked (or did I miss a lift?) as the teleporter is now in the front pit. I jumped down to check for any left over goodies after grabbing the key and had to idclip out.

All in a great WAD though, cheers!

Very solid mapset I'd say. Didn't blow me away (tbh I think MyHouse relegated everything this year to live in its shadow) but a good romp with clear, nonconfusing maps.

Minor update: Fixed some texture issues, and added an extra teleporter in the big pit in MAP10.
Also added Deathmatch Player Starts, although I don't know if these maps would be super fun to Deathmatch on.