Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xfydr

Thrash Metal appreciation thread

Talk about your favorite thrash bands and give some recommendations!

Thrash covers a wide range of themes, and recently I've been hovering at the Death Metal end of the spectrum. I recently bought this on CD; they do sell it on Bandcamp as download and streaming, but you get those free with the CD anyway; just as well, as it took 2 and a half months to get to the UK from Brazil! I love to have the box, artwork and so on. It also includes a lyric sheet, which is great, as I can't speak Portuguese and just sing along to it; I typed in the title track to Google Translate, cleaned up the result to make it work in English, and all is well :)

A few of my favourites:

One of the most underrated albums ever, spacey tech thrash, fans of Voivod should dig it but it really doesn't sound like anything else:

Basically ...And Justice for All on steroids:

Lightning fast choppy riffing with Steve DiGiorgio on bass:

... I'm having right now the absolutely biggest, most overwhelming feeling of a mindblow there is. Like, holy crap, how do I even explain this:

-just saw someone in Discord post a video of an obscure thrash record (The Experience Of Horror, by Assorted Heap), just a few days after I listened to it for the first time... It was even the exact same video from the exact same channel;

-for a while now I was having the idea of making a thread dedicated to thrash, very similar to this one;

-upon clicking this thread, one of the first obscure thrash albums that came to mind for me was From This Day Forward by Obliveon... Guess what one of the very first recommended albums from one of the first comments is.

Like, this might seen like an overexaggeration I'm building off a bunch of small coincidences, but damn, it felt so weird and uncanny to me, like I was in a Twilight Zone episode. Holy shit.

And while I'm at it, I might as well engage properly with this thread and actually contribute something... Enjoy!

Mandator started out as Mysto Dysto and were more speed metal style until their name change. As Mysto Dysto they would release one album that was a decent hit for the metal scene in the Netherlands. It was popular enough they got a better record deal but were told to change their name to something less strange. Their first album as Mandator (above) is sort of a mix of thrash and speed metal, and this caused a stir in the lineup as some members wanted to stay with the Mysto Dysto style and others wanted to get heavier. They would go on to record their next, and last, album with a lineup change as the members that were dissatisfied with the change in direction left:

This was the end of Mandator. A later demo was made but it isn’t really the same band, just the last member to leave used the name to try and bring attention to the new band he created. 

This is the first song I ever heard by Death. It was October of 2003, I was 18 and had just packed everything I owned into a car to drive from the midwest to some mail order art school in Phoenix. I had worked at a music store over the summer after graduating high school and the owner let me take any cd I wanted for free as a parting gift. I had never heard of Death, but the cover looked cool I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the name, plus I figured if I didn't like it, at least it was free. I didn't open the cd until the morning I left for the 20ish hour drive into the desert. It was still pitch black outside, yet I was full of emotion about leaving home for the first time and hopeful about the unknown, so I opened the jewel case, put the disc into the car and started to drive.

Anyway, Google lumps them into the thrash genre so who am I to question

Edited by Lippeth

The other day I introduced my brother to Megadeth by playing The Conjuring while we were outside looking towards the thunderstorm going on. I wasn't expecting him to catch onto it too much, but he's been going through their albums chronologically the past few days. He just heard Rust in Peace and has been loving it. There's no better feeling than introducing somebody to a band and them actually liking it.

A friend of mine got me into Static X back in 2018 and i love wayne static's guitar playing and vocals. This album my of be his last one before going solo then passing away (rip) but i feel like this dose not get enough love and attention it should get.

Also here's the first album my friend got me to listen too as well from Static X. Also fun fact: He did a cover of NIN's song Terrible Lie and honestly i didn't care for it.

Pretty underrated band in my opinion, everyone saying that Pantera 'ripped them off' but I personally think that's just stupid nonsense. I would say they just got influenced by them after they dropped their fucking 'Glam-style' image (which it's a good thing for Pantera in a way lol). Overall. their styles are pretty much different, both bands are great but I wished Exhorder was more recognizable too.

I gotta put these classics here. They are mostly industrial and death metal respectively, but they mix lots of thrash in them.

Three awesome obscure songs!

heh, just as i'm starting to get back into thrash metal :p

here's some songs that i'm particularly fond of, specifically from bands that weren't part of the big four:

this is a bit more speed metalish, but eh, fuck it. wikipedia says they're thrash, so i may as well include them

Edited by roadworx

Definitely old school here.

The original Big Four with Metallica being fave. Having said that, Megadeth definitely have their moments. Hangar 18 is already mentioned- fucking AWESOME track.

Also this:

Huge JD fan and this was just perfect...

My favorite thrash album. Always felt like the serpent thing looked a bit like Korax from Hexen. Some awesome riffs and amazing vocals. 

I should probably throw this lot into the ring too - slightly more obscure than the Big Four, but still pretty well known from the early days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Church

Maybe not so thrashy as some - and downright melodic sometimes - but still one of my fave harder metal bands. A a couple of choice examples:

Enjoy!

Sometimes i listen Thrash Metal. Here is examples of tracks i enjoy :

and obviously :

Edited by P_A_Z

A few more good ones:

CAM-7EA has already posted the first album of this incredibly underrated band, and I'll take the chance to also show you their other one:

15 minutes ago, DSC said:

links

You can clearly hear the Possessed influence on Morbid Saint, almost sounds like a missing link between them and Cannibal Corpse. Good find!

I forgot to mention this album of Sepultura, which is in my opinion their best album of Thrash Metal :

Edited by P_A_Z

On 5/15/2023 at 12:10 AM, Lippeth said:

This is the first song I ever heard by Death. It was October of 2003, I was 18 and had just packed everything I owned into a car to drive from the midwest to some mail order art school in Phoenix. I had worked at a music store over the summer after graduating high school and the owner let me take any cd I wanted for free as a parting gift. I had never heard of Death, but the cover looked cool I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the name, plus I figured if I didn't like it, at least it was free. I didn't open the cd until the morning I left for the 20ish hour drive into the desert. It was still pitch black outside, yet I was full of emotion about leaving home for the first time and hopeful about the unknown, so I opened the jewel case, put the disc into the car and started to drive.

Anyway, Google lumps them into the thrash genre so who am I to question

This is Christian Andreu from Gojira favorite track of Death.

Havnt seen any love for S.O.D. and M.O.D. yet so i figured I'd shout them out, and might as well throw D.R.I. in the mix as well. 😀

Bathory is easily one of my favorite bands. Considered "the blueprint of Scandinavian black metal," but its roots dig into thrash. Here's a great sample in my opinion.

Edited by Tripsqueak : embed fail