Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RataUnderground

Dreamed features in editors

On 5/17/2023 at 11:27 AM, RataUnderground said:

Or even make folders/categories and label the textures in a simple way without having to edit a text file, that would be great : )

Possible already.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:56 PM, Jewellds said:

I would like to be able to set a background image, like how you can set a view-port background in 3D modelling tools like Blender. That way you could bring a design made in another program into Doom Builder to use as a reference.

That's been possible in the DB2 family since forever.

4 hours ago, rita remton said:

a simple measuring ruler would be nice. currently, i have to draw a line between 2 vertices to find the distance between them, then undo that line. with a measuring ruler, i just draw a line between 2 vertices to display the distance by holding left-mouse click, and the line disappears once the left-mouse click is released.

Just don't draw the line an cancel/switch the mode?

an inbuilt tool that calculates the total area of selected sectors in map units, including asymmetrical sectors.

UDB comes with a script that does that.

in udb udmf, there are note-taking for nearly all elements of the map. wish it was available for all map types including doom2 vanilla/limit-removing since the notes could be stored in the separate db file (such as in udb). also a main note making area to jot down versioning, etc. all notes could also be searched.

Comments are part of the UDMF spec. The other formats simply do not have this.

the ability to drag joined sectors without breaking their joining.

Works when merging is set to "merge dragged vertices only".

UDB already has so many features... On a "new" laptop, installed a fresh copy of it. Had to open controls many times as my old keybinds were of course gone / on other computer. That said I should check the newest changes.

-Have the "Spawn Thing" include user-defined things.

-Have the transparent textures to be enabled on slanted floors & ceilings for 3d sectors.

-Have a rotation on wall textures. I needed to add rotated textures as patches very often. Usually at 90°angle. We can already rotate floors & ceilings. It would be marvelous to do so with walls.

COMPSCH0.png

None of those are UDB features (or lack thereof) but engine limitations - why would UDB support this if the game itself does not?

As mentioned before, a "how long has this map been worked on" timer and a dark mode for the UI would be really useful.

A filter that only shows textures with transparency in the texture browser. Especially with larger texture sets I often wish I could quickly scan through all the options for partially transparent textures like fences and windows. Even with surprisingly consistent naming conventions (like FENC or MID) you can still miss some.

8 hours ago, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

magical button that makes map more detailed 

thats called stair builder

I think this has been asked for before, I cannot tell you how much time I would save if I could directly reorder linedefs and things directly from within Ultimate Doom Builder.

This is specifically to help Vanilla mappers that have to deal with numeric linedef triggers (linedef actions 37, 38), that directly change sector effects and flats from the side of the linedef with the lowest number.

I have a video explaining how this works and how to manually change it via the tables in SLADE, but it'd be really nice to have this feature directly available via Ultimate Doom Builder:

This would be extremely useful for Vanilla mapping specifically, since it's been a common issue for years that mappers have run in to and/or don't understand:

Another thing that would be extremely useful is for linedef actions in Doom: Doom 2 format to specify if the model is (numeric), since I find myself having to check this Doom Wiki page far too often.

I also mentioned reordering things specifically because of voodoo dolls. When working with maps like Hellcinerator that features more than 600 of them, it'd be really useful to just be able to tick a box to make a specific player start the first one (especially since UDB sometimes gets confused when deleting a voodoo doll at the start of the map, and when replacing it, forgetting to reorder the player 1 start to be the first one in the table).

I remember dudes talked about one feature: Abillity to see what and how line action will affect sector IN editor.
Like see opening doors, lowering floors etc in 3d view in real time. (but i think its more in dreaming section than what can be implemented)

Channels! 
image.png.620a969393f1e9a59a728ec7f92ace7c.png
Basically it's a way to layer things ontop of each other it would be like dummy sectors where it's apart of the map ontop of another, but the thing is it's a little complex because doom's maps are like inside out they aren't objects they're carvings so this can't just be a map on a map it would be like super complicated to make. you'd need a port along with the editor feature so it's probably better I keep this one in my dreams >.>

On 5/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, boris said:

Just don't draw the line an cancel/switch the mode?

lol! have been using udb for the past 2 years and have never even used this feature before. well, better late then never, i guess. a huge thanks! :)

UDB comes with a script that does that.

cool! found it at [https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoomBuilder/blob/udbscript/Build/UDBScript/Scripts/Examples/Information/sectorarea.js]. currently trying to figure how to download the [.js] file and insert it into udb (sorry, i'm no programmer nor have coding background). thanks again!

Comments are part of the UDMF spec. The other formats simply do not have this.

i agree. however, if i create a vanilla map in [udb] using the [doom: doom 2 (doom format)], a [.dbs] file is also created as well which is not required to play [doom]. i guess the [.dbs] file is a database file? if so, perhaps the [.dbs] file could be used by the map editor to store notes for other map formats as well (vanilla, limit-removing, boom, mbf)?

Works when merging is set to "merge dragged vertices only".

wow! going to try this after i get the [sectorarea.js] to work in [udb]!

many2 thanks for the awesome help! :)

6 hours ago, amnion said:

Channels!

yes please! would be very useful to draw linedefs for lighting/shadows :)

Edited by rita remton : added reply to amnion

On 5/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, boris said:

[make folders/categories and label the textures in a simple way without having to edit a text file, that would be great]

Possible already.

[I would like to be able to set a background image, like how you can set a view-port background in 3D modelling tools like Blender. That way you could bring a design made in another program into Doom Builder to use as a reference.]

That's been possible in the DB2 family since forever.

Yes, making new categories is possible from Game configurations, but it doesn't exactly help a fast/friendly workflow because you have to type the name of the textures, instead of selecting them from a list, and because it is done from this menu and not from the Image Browser Window.
This is not a criticism of UDB, it is a superb editor, but I think things could be a bit more intuitive in this aspect.

Regarding importing images to have as background, how? This is the first time I hear about this, and I have been looking for the function in the program for a while with no luck.

25 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

I want back my "Brightness mode" from Doom Builder 2 to Ultimate Doom Builder or GZDB.

Uhh... There is a Brightness bind on UDB, just press B (on default binds) and all sectors will be displayed in full-bright.

3 minutes ago, ValveMercenary said:

Uhh... There is a Brightness bind on UDB, just press B (on default binds) and all sectors will be displayed in full-bright.

No, I'm talking about that feature that made me able to raise/lower sector brightness value to all selected sectors with right click.

GME support in Slade3, older versions had it, but it was removed because it was never "officially in".

2 hours ago, rita remton said:

cool! found it at [https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoomBuilder/blob/udbscript/Build/UDBScript/Scripts/Examples/Information/sectorarea.js]. currently trying to figure how to download the [.js] file and insert it into udb (sorry, i'm no programmer nor have coding background). thanks again!

You don't have to download it, it's included. Just to got the "Scripts" docker on the right.

1 hour ago, RataUnderground said:

Regarding importing images to have as background, how? This is the first time I hear about this, and I have been looking for the function in the program for a while with no luck.

Either click on the grid icon in the bottom right and select "Customize..." or go through Edit -> Grid and Backdrop Setup.

58 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

I want back my "Brightness mode" from Doom Builder 2 to Ultimate Doom Builder or GZDB.

The functionality is in Sectors Mode. Just switch the display to "View Brightness Levels". You can change the brightness through keybinds (default it Ctrl+Mousewheel I think). Those keybinds of course also work when showing floor/ceiling textures.

21 minutes ago, boris said:

Either click on the grid icon in the bottom right and select "Customize..." or go through Edit -> Grid and Backdrop Setup.

Awesome! thanks!! 

f8q95Ev.png

I should change the title of this thread to "The thread where we discovered features that are already implemented in UDB and we had no idea".

On 5/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, skillsaw said:

Since we're talking about dream features I've always wanted a multi-user mode (a la Google docs, though not in a browser window of course). It would be great to be able collaborate in real time on a map.

I can't begin to imagine how much overhead this would take, but collaborative mapping and possibly even community projects would change forever for the better.

An idea that's not actually too far away from reality:

UDB getting a DeHack editor for Vanilla, BooM, MBF, MBF21 and heck why not throw in Strife/Heretic/Hexen!

Would be nice to be able to create DEH/BEX files and then go straight into DooM mapping without having a smeg load of programs open everytime I just want to add in a small handful of custom enemies.

Reminder that UDB is a pure map editor, meant to edit maps, and also edit maps, with the ability to edit maps, but that's all. It used to have (well, before it was called UDB, but same thing) a built-in text editor for MAPINFO and stuff and that was removed for being out of scope; so I don't see texture editor or DEHACKED editors making their way in.

I want a auto brightness thing based on usage of textures and objects 🥺

• A tutti-frutti/medusa detector, which shows you places where textures would have the tutti-frutti or medusa effect in vanilla.
    • A similar feature for sky texture related HOMs found in vanilla would also be nice.
  • The ability to calculate savegame size to check if it exceeds vanilla limits (I remember someone telling me DeePsea had a feature like that, but I could be wrong)

CBT is another one I've been dreaming about, though this was is even more far fetched than channels if you can believe it! but what is CBT? Configurable Baked Tracing
-----------
I got this idea while testing out some stuff in doom rtx, what if it was more like the sorse engine where lighting gets baked while the map is compiling? that explains the B and T in CBT but the real exciting part is the C itself, The brightness levels for sectors would be the cap for the darkness of the sector. It would be really cool for mappers but insanely difficult for port devs and builder devs, this one should also stay in my dreams >.>
I'll let everyone know I'm dreaming about 4 channel support and cbt though.

22 hours ago, boris said:

You don't have to download it, it's included. Just to got the "Scripts" docker on the right.

many many thanks for the tip :)

I wish editing 3D floors would be somewhat easier. So if I want to copy /paste large chunks from another map with 3D-sectors and it already has 3D sectors.. it gets messed up. And propably 3D slopes will. Or there is a way around this..

-a more intuitive way to make polyobjects

-saner sloped 3d floors (this is probably inbuilt into gzdoom though so dunno how it'd change)

1 minute ago, eltiolavara9 said:

-a more intuitive way to make polyobjects

-saner sloped 3d floors (this is probably inbuilt into gzdoom though so dunno how it'd change)

Yeah, I kind a avoid polyobjects. Sector portals too are quite unintuitive, I just copy/paste them from template and change tags etc.

I think you mean the old method of sloping which was just pain. You can slope, build arches etc. very nicely on Ultimate doom builder.

Just go to controls (F5 -> controls) bind "Toggle visual sidedef slope picking" where ever you want to. Then you can slope on visual mode just by pressing that and scolling by mouse.

Also try "arch between slope handles" just make few sectors, select 2 farthest handles and there you go.

There is this tutorial to it also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dioG0P0ywJo