Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gears of ASCII

How to make a total conversion mod?

Question

I want to make a total conversion mod with new sprites replacing the normal doom enemies and some new weapon skins, but i have never modded a doom wad in my entire life, i have seen the Basic pinned tutorials here but there  is my situation:

1) As mentioned, never modded a doom wad in my life, and if i see a single lick of code i will puke (Yes i tried going to a game making Class in 2017, Yes i hated every single code related moment of it)

2) aside from shitty sprite attempts in 2017-2018 lost to time i have never done much spriteworks, nevermind ones involving games

Help?

(Also if anyone wants i can share the general idea for the wad, i have some sketches and the name ashenheart in mind)

Since people want to see the ideas i há e for this wad imma show them:

So ashenheart is basically an setting i have been working on for over three years

Its set in a alternate earth millenia after an ancient ritual broke the sun apart and replaced it with a magic moon,  killed and revived everything in new and strange forms, including humans, now divided into 7 interesting species 

For the sake of keeping this update short, i will not digress further into the races, world and etc in general, all you need to know is, heaven is real, so is hell (but its know as the red sea due to it being submerged in water and blood) souls are slime goop and the world is in it's equivalent of the 1940s, with all the second world war, mages in the army, post depression era stuff you can expect

The general setting is this: the global bureau of research, an international organization dedicated to studying all sorts of sciences has had a accident in one of their facilities, releasing a strain of blue burst into the wild

What is blue burst you ask? Well its a pretty nasty soul parasite that takes a hold of the soul, tricks the body into going braindead and then takes control over it, slowly mutating it in ever stranger forms

Here are some sketches of the infected+ a few non related concepts (keep in mind i have not draw in a while)

CamScanner 17-05-2023 21.02_1.jpg

CamScanner 17-05-2023 20.45_1.jpg

CamScanner 17-05-2023 20.44_1.jpg

Edited by gears of ASCII : Update to showcase wad idea

10 answers to this question

Open your mind. How do you want to doa total conversion, when you hate code? Code makes the enemies move, and the weapons shoot. 

You need to have a decorate, mapinfo, gldefs, animdefs, sndinfo, scripts, etc.

Learn not to hate code. There's nothing to hate. Learn.

I guess you can still make total conversion without code, is just that your limited to changing sprite and maybe change dehacked a little bit, in other words you can only make Vanilla compatible TC, something FreeDoom or Rekkr.

but if wanna do something like GZDoom TC than coding is must, unless someone make a software tool to eliminate coding.

as a somewhat experience mapper, I'll give a suggestion that you likely heard it 2 million times: Never start big, suppress your beginner ego. start from basic untill you're skilled. 

22 minutes ago, SOF2Fragger said:

Open your mind. How do you want to doa total conversion, when you hate code? Code makes the enemies move, and the weapons shoot. 

You need to have a decorate, mapinfo, gldefs, animdefs, sndinfo, scripts, etc.

Learn not to hate code. There's nothing to hate. Learn.

Ok, im sure doom codding is not that hard, i will try and keep a open mind

16 minutes ago, fai1025 said:

I guess you can still make total conversion without code, is just that your limited to changing sprite and maybe change dehacked a little bit, in other words you can only make Vanilla compatible TC, something FreeDoom or Rekkr.

but if wanna do something like GZDoom TC than coding is must, unless someone make a software tool to eliminate coding.

as a somewhat experience mapper, I'll give a suggestion that you likely heard it 2 million times: Never start big, suppress your beginner ego. start from basic untill you're skilled. 

Guess i will start by simply reskinning the enemies, wanna see some of my ideas?

3 minutes ago, SOF2Fragger said:

Go head. Post them.

I used to hate code too. Now I love what it allows me to do 

Ok imma make an edit to the main post showcasing them

If you want to make a TC, it's gonna require you to learn skills that you apparently aren't willing to stick with. Either find someone that can fill in the holes for you, or dramatically scale down your expectations.

Total conversion projects are a LOT of work. It's slightly easier to do just sprites for enemies, but even so that's still a lot of work. You spent most of your OP talking about the lore and idea, which I didn't bother reading, because that won't help with actually completing the work.

Get Slade 3, open up one of the doom wads, and find the sprites. The basic pink Demon enemy has 57 sprites, and it only has the one attack. An Arch-Vile has 144 different sprites. It's so high because each enemy is going to need eight different sprites per frame of animation (one for each angle of rotation). That handful of crudely drawn blobs in the sketch isn't enough reference to make sprites for all those angles of rotation. At the very least to start with, you need to know what your enemy will look like from the front, the back, and both sides, and it needs to be a clearer and more defined image than the provided drawings. Start with drawing those profiles and refining them before you think about starting sprites.

EDIT: Also, questions from someone wondering how to do a thing go into either the Doom Editing or Editing Questions sub-forum. The Tutorials forum is generally people who already know how to do a thing explaining how to do that thing.

Edited by Stabbey : forums note.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:41 AM, Stabbey said:

Total conversion projects are a LOT of work. It's slightly easier to do just sprites for enemies, but even so that's still a lot of work. You spent most of your OP talking about the lore and idea, which I didn't bother reading, because that won't help with actually completing the work.

Get Slade 3, open up one of the doom wads, and find the sprites. The basic pink Demon enemy has 57 sprites, and it only has the one attack. An Arch-Vile has 144 different sprites. It's so high because each enemy is going to need eight different sprites per frame of animation (one for each angle of rotation). That handful of crudely drawn blobs in the sketch isn't enough reference to make sprites for all those angles of rotation. At the very least to start with, you need to know what your enemy will look like from the front, the back, and both sides, and it needs to be a clearer and more defined image than the provided drawings. Start with drawing those profiles and refining them before you think about starting sprites.

EDIT: Also, questions from someone wondering how to do a thing go into either the Doom Editing or Editing Questions sub-forum. The Tutorials forum is generally people who already know how to do a thing explaining how to do that thing.

Sorry! I have since learned the error of my code-hating ways and im ready to learn!

I just realized that sounded sarcastic but its not i swear,

Where do i go for for remaking sprites and stuff like that then?