Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggman

How to get good in Doom

Nope. It all comes down to practice and being toasted by the traumatic flames of community-made WADs to create the perfect Doomer. Over time you will learn how the demons behave and which weapons work with each situation you're thrown into.

Just play, play and play some more.

Reading tips won’t make you a better player but playing the game will. There’s some useful tips here and there but a lot of it is just a bunch of bullshit someone who was bored couldn’t help themselves to type into words. It’s basically Doom’s equivalent to bodybuilding “broscience”.  

42 minutes ago, Stroggman said:

I play a lot so do I really have to read getting gud tip threads?

no because the more you play the the better you are, if you play alot you must be very good

Many of the best doom players have played probably thousands of hours less than a big chunk of the community that's been just casually playing since the 90s (or whatever point in time) and is not half as good. For productive play time you need at minimum content that challenges you and some capacity for self analysis.
Where the tip threads (assuming they're by people who know what they're talking about) can help is giving you a basic understanding of stuff that is easy to explain but not necessarily easy to intuit on your own like bullet herding, crowd manipulation etc. Especially in challenge oriented custom maps there is an assumption that the player knows and is exploiting some basic maneuvers that make the game easier essentially and if you don't understand them you'll end up bashing your head into a wall fruitlessly.
So, the tips give you a basic scheme for how to succeed in harder content and the capacity to self analyze (oh I needed to do X thing there to live) and spending your time playing that harder content will develop your mechanical skill faster. You could eventually invent the wheel on your own but why bother?
So the question is really what your goals are. You're not obligated to get better and there's probably 100s of hours of content out there that's totally suited for your current skillset. Also what do you want to get better at? etc

Some things I would suggest that is an aside from yes, actually playing the game, are:

1. Watch good players play: Either on Twitch, Discord, YouTube; where ever. Watch great players play at a high level, and you will start to notice things
  2. Be active in the community: Ask questions, even if it feels obvious. But try to figure things out first on your own first so you can ask poignant, specific questions. There's SUBSTANTIALLY more to Doom than one would initially think. And even super specific intricate tricks being done by pro runners will look like it was done with no effort at all.
  3. Be critical of yourself, AND honest with yourself. Without this, you're going to have issues
    • Sidenote: Don't get butthurt if/when you get criticized for something you did, didn't do, etc. But at the same time, that doesn't mean don't standup for yourself either.
  4. Play maps/wads above your skill level, to push yourself to get better. Yeah, you can "play a lot", but that's meaningless if you play Style A then wonder why you suck at Style B. (just a general example, not you personally)
  5. git gud

cassis has some very good points as well.

Cheers :)

Practice makes perfect....unless you have finger arthritis and/or play tank controls.

I remember playing the Ultimate Doom on UV only using tank controls (no strafing) - it is a very challenging and exciting experience.

Go onto https://dsdarchive.com/ and pick one of your favorite wads. Watch a record max demo a few times after replaying the map, then study the demo very closely and try to copy it as much as you can until you get within, let's say, 25% of the time. Grinding out a specific map teaches you things you may not notice in casual play because you need to be much more careful with your moves, especially if you're trying to copy and get somewhat close to a record time. If you get a 2:00 time and the record is 45 seconds, there's quantifiably much more you can do to improve without relying on RNG (obviously there may be exceptions). This is how I got good and continue to get good. :)

Play stuff that's hard to raise your skill ceiling. If your goal is to improve then push yourself beyond what you know, either with fast monsters or higher skill settings or tougher WADs. Doom 2 is not going to prepare you for Sunlust's fights even if you've mastered it; the demands the harder maps put on the player are completely different than the original games and WADs aimed at casual players. 

There's also a component of knowledge about the game that matters, since there are a lot of engine quirks and strategies built around them. By itself knowledge is helpful, but it's no substitute for experience and muscle memory. You'll be better at predicting enemies and keeping aware of many things during fights.

Watch high-level players play, watch and learn from them, try/accept tips people tell you, play doom a lot and put what you've seen others/tips into practice.

What should you play to get better? This isn't a guaranteed method, but this list really worked out well for me, highly recommend.

Just now, Herr Dethnout said:

Just play Doom...

I mean, duh.

Yeah I think that's the best way like in 2022 I played all the DBP wads and never read any threads, played them all on UV continous and got good but I wanna get better so I will play more duh

2 hours ago, Stroggman said:

I  play doom 97%  of the time

play more

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Nope. It all comes down to practice and being toasted by the traumatic flames of community-made WADs to create the perfect Doomer. Over time you will learn how the demons behave and which weapons work with each situation you're thrown into.

//and then comes along some chucklehead that subverts all the tropes  and expectations... how to cope with the purposeful cruelty some designers have can be off putting, or motivating; are you having fun? if yes, then keep playing, if no, then try cursed halo...

My advice would be to try and play wads you think are above your skill level. I’m not talking about jumping straight to the extremely hard stuff but more things that are JUST out of your reach. I find it’s like building blocks, you start with a base and you work your way up slowly.

I’m also kinda surprised so many other responses don’t say this, but take lots of breaks as well. Don’t mentally drain yourself when it comes to getting good because that then just takes the fun out of playing doom. And the breaks won’t affect how you play necessarily, because about 80% of how you play doom is all in the muscle memory. Crazy amirite? 

I did this and went from being pretty bad at doom to being very exceptional within a couple of months. I hope this advice helps you!

I've been playing Doom since I was a young child yet I consider myself to be pretty average at the game, maybe slightly above average at best. I can just about manage to beat Doom 1 on Ultra-Violence without feeling like it's getting too hard. I have dyspraxia though so maybe my muscle memory just doesn't work. I do feel myself improving over time especially as I devote more of my day to Doom though.

corners, walls, and doors are your best friends, especially when you're fighting a horde of monsters. always hide behind one of those if you're low on health. circle-strafing works too, especially with cyberdemons (but not with zombie enemies).

I get lost easily and it's not always obvious how you open a door etc (Be it finding a switch or having to kill all enemies in an area).  I wish there were a function that draws behind you, or draws footprints to show where you've been (Automap is confusing because it will show rooms you can see but haven't set foot in).  In primary school a kid took stones from a garden and sprinkled them when he walked to my place, so he wouldn't get lost coming back.

19 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Yeah it's like that's all I do is play 97% of the time and I believe you learn by doing which equates to playing, so there I have it

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Both of these videos are essential viewing for Doomers looking to improve their game:

It’s also essential to learn how to corral revenant rockets when it comes to harder wads:

Other than that, it’s all about the basics: prioritise hitscanners above everything else (if you’re being attacked from more than 1 direction especially), learn and remember the timing on each enemy’s attack, never stand totally still during combat (unless you find an exploit), and train yourself on getting your bearings and remembering map layouts based on the littlest details.

Stay frosty!

Thanks for sharing this wealth of knowledge Doomkid!

Graduate into esdf keybinds 

ramp up mouse sensitivity

Look up advanced strafing techniques, doom is all movement, not cover shooting 

Choosing a specific crosshair matters

Move into you shots or let them come to you

Work on twitch and return motion only when you get overwhelmed (Recovery)

Accuracy and Dodging is all focus, but do not tunnel vision

Dont play lax, get into the zone and force something to happen sooner rather than later

Learn to hate making mistakes 

it all comes together after endurance sessions

-First you get tired and perform worse, thats okay, push yourself past your tired state until you are sick of it, then play some more

-When you take your break and come back youll notice improvement

Edited by Dreamskull

an unconventional method is to focus practice on a handicap by using the doom map editor (ultimate doom builder, slade, etc). recreate a simple version of the handicap in the editor (eg. a bunch of pinkies in a small empty room to practice evading+punching them), then practice till you are satisfied with the outcome.

anyway, regardless of the ways you use to "git good", good luck! :)